Fuel / KM ?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Fuel / KM ?

Post by PanTobi »

Wood gives 2 MJ / unit ( 200 MJ / Stack )
Coal gives 4 MJ / unit ( 400 MJ / Stack )
Solid fuel gives 12 MJ / unit ( 600 MJ / Stack )
Rocket Fuel gives 100 MJ / unit ( 1 GJ / Stack )
Uranium Fuel gives 1.21 GJ ( and no stacks )

but... i have one question...

How to calculate it to KM?...
in Train Station view u can see all Trains and Distance so u can calculate distance and fuel consumption...
but for that i need to know how much Fuel Trains use... any1 know how to calculate that ????

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Fuel / KM ?

Post by SoShootMe »

You seem to have assumed a stack size of 100 for coal, but it is 50 (in vanilla).

You can't get exact distances, in general. Fuel is consumed at a constant rate when accelerating or at top speed, meaning it depends on how much time is spent accelerating (which in turn depends on how the train is made up) and braking (on approach to a stop, or en route due to congestion). But for a reasonably long distance and low wagon-to-locomotive ratio, the distance traveled at maximum speed should be pretty close, and that can fairly easily be calculated.

The time an item of fuel lasts is on the Locomotive page in the Wiki (it's just fuel value divided by locomotive power). The maximum speed is 72m/s for wood and coal, with bonuses (also on the same Wiki page) of +5% for solid fuel and +15% for rocket and nuclear fuel. This gives distances for each type of fuel as follows:

Wood: 3.33*72 = 240m (24.0km per stack of 100)
Coal: 6.67*72 = 480m (24.0km per stack of 50)
Solid fuel: 20*72*1.05 = 1.51km (75.6km per stack of 50)
Rocket fuel: 167*72*1.15 = 13.8km (138km per stack of 10)
Nuclear fuel: 2.017*72*1.15 = 167km (167km per stack of 1)

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by PanTobi »

Ohh yeee sry... my bad Coal is 50 in Stack xD since Iron and Copper are 100 in stack i was thinking that coal is 100 too :D
my bad :x...

Hmm... 167 Km - Train Weight / Nuclear Fuel
so it gives around 600 Km... im using 2-6 Train for that thing...

but i think Nuclear should be safe... no need to build "Refuel Station" in middle of the way xD

Because im building new Nuclear Plant and its 10 km away from my factory...
So clearly Rocket Fuel is unsafe way to do it, unless i build "refuel" station in middle... but im gonna just switch Train to Nuclear Fuel
its going to new Nuclear Plant anywaa xD Fuel is there already :D

I made little more power than i needed:
but this Lake is biggest lake on my world i found so far so i wanted to use it no matter how far it was xDDD
s1.png
s1.png (6.77 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
Its going to charge my new Base:

So im gonna use my poor math...
if 1 Nuclear Fuel = 160 km ( around ) and loco is 2k weight
then 3 times heavier Train Train will go 3 times less distance... right?...

so around... omfg... 160 / 3 is fking hard xD 53 km... le lets say

1-4 with Nuclear is ok for around 40 KM
2-6 with Nuclear is ok for around... lets say 35 Km xDD #lol... hmm or maybe 50Km ?... because ration Loco/Wagon change...

Laie
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Laie »

PanTobi wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:38 pm
if 1 Nuclear Fuel = 160 km ( around ) and loco is 2k weight
then 3 times heavier Train Train will go 3 times less distance... right?...
It does not strictly work that way. In my understanding, fuel will be consumed either at a fixed rate (when accelerating / traveling at top speed) or not at all (while braking or when standing).

A heavier train takes longer to accelerate; also, top speed depends on the loco/cargo fraction as well as the fuel used.

Depending on fuel, some amount of cargo is "free" in the sense that top speed is only affected if you have more than X number of wagons. For solid fuel, if you have between zero and four wagons, the top speed will be the same and the fuel consumption hence will also be virtually the same -- the only difference comes from the faster or slower acceleration depending on mass, but over a long distance this barely matters.

With rocket and nuclear fuel, IIRC you can add more than ten wagons until top speed is affected. Acceleration becomes a bit sluggish, though, and you may want to add a second locomotive even if you "only" have eight wagons on the train. That second loco would essentially double your fuel consumption. Then again, it carries its own fuel supply and the range of the train as a whole would be unaffected.

Anyway, if you have nuclear fuel, 10km isn't all that far. You can make several round trips on one item of nuclear fuel.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

I will say without false modesty - I have the longest railway network of all the existing ones (2500 km or 2500000 cells).
So, I now place nuclear fueling stations every 200 km so as to guarantee not to run out of fuel and not stop 100,500 km from the nearest housing, but I will probably build the next filling station in 300 km, I think there should also be enough fuel between refueling.
Moreover, I have two types of railway trains - 2-5 and 1-8

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Laie wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:25 pm
Depending on fuel, some amount of cargo is "free" in the sense that top speed is only affected if you have more than X number of wagons.
Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't realised top speed is basically always impacted with a single forward locomotive using wood or coal as fuel, nor that it was so easy to hit the "free" limit with solid fuel; that'll probably make the figures I gave for those somewhere between "a bit" and "very" optimistic (depending on train formation) in practice.

Return to “Gameplay Help”