[Rseding] [1.1.33] Access to train fuel GUI is inconsistent in multiplayer

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
redstonerodent
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Rseding] [1.1.33] Access to train fuel GUI is inconsistent in multiplayer

Post by redstonerodent »

This is likely related to this bug, and might be another symptom of the same issue.

There are various ways you might attempt to access a train's fuel inventory from out of reach. Some of them work, and some don't, in inconsistent ways. It's not clear to me whether you're supposed to be able to do this at all.
  1. Not in map view, click on a locomotive: you can switch to the fuel tab (but can't shift-click fuel in).
  2. Not in map view, click on a cargo (or fluid) wagon: get "Cannot reach" message.
  3. In map view, click on a locomotive: works the same as not in map view.
  4. In map view, click on a cargo wagon: you can switch to the fuel tab, but only for one locomotive in the train. Which locomotive is chosen doesn't seem to depend on the cargo wagon clicked.
  5. Select the train from the train overview or a train station GUI: it picks one locomotive, and you can only access the fuel tab if you're within reach of that locomotive. The locomotive it chooses is not always the same as the one chosen when you click on a cargo wagon. (Example: have a train composed of a backward-facing locomotive, a forwards-facing locomotive, and then a cargo wagon. Put fuel in one of the locomotives to distinguish between them. Clicking on the cargo wagon from map view gives the fuel for the forwards-facing locomotive, but accessing the train from the train overview gives the backwards-facing locomotive.)
  6. Open the train GUI from within reach of the locomotive, and then move (or have the train move) out of reach. The fuel tab is darkened, and if you had it selected you switch back to the schedule. If you move back within reach, the tab is accessible again. If you open the GUI while out of reach, and then move in reach and back out of reach with it open, the fuel tab becomes inaccessible. For instance, if you open a train GUI and then that train drives right by you, the interface changes.
The weirdest part, and most clearly a bug, is that you can access the fuel tab by clicking on a locomotive while out of reach (1), but not by clicking on a locomotive while in reach and then moving out of reach (6). At least one of these must be wrong. It's also quite strange that (4) and (5) give you the fuel inventory of different locomotives.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.33] Ability to access train fuel GUI from out of reach is inconsistent

Post by Loewchen »

I cannot reproduce anything of this that suggests a bug. If the character is in range I can switch the tab and insert fuel, if he isn't I can't do either.
If this isn't a mod issue on your end, post a vanilla save and exact steps to produce this please.

redstonerodent
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.33] Ability to access train fuel GUI from out of reach is inconsistent

Post by redstonerodent »

After some more testing, it seems to only happen in multiplayer, and when you aren't the host. In singleplayer or when hosting a multiplayer game, you can't access the train fuel from out of reach (which is correct).

I've attached the save I encountered this.
Attachments
train fuel bugs.zip
(18.17 MiB) Downloaded 114 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.33] Access to train fuel GUI is inconsistent in multiplayer

Post by Loewchen »

In multiplayer I can reproduce being able to access and move fuel while out of range. The tab will become grayed out if you close and re-open the train GUI without moving or clicking on anything else in between.

redstonerodent
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by redstonerodent »

Even in single player, there's an inconsistency between clicking on a cargo wagon from map view (4) and selecting the train from the train overview (5). This might warrant its own post, since it's different from being able to remotely access the fuel inventory.

To reproduce:
  1. Set up a train like the image below. Put fuel in one locomotive so you can tell them apart. I put 50 coal in the left locomotive.
  2. Stand within reach of both locomotives.
  3. Click on the cargo wagon from map view, and switch to the fuel tab. I get no coal (the right locomotive).
  4. Select the train from the train overview, and switch to the fuel tab. I get coal (the left locomotive).
example train
I've attached the save I set this up. To select the train from the train overview, it's the only train with an empty schedule.
Attachments
train fuel bugs.zip
(18.17 MiB) Downloaded 115 times

redstonerodent
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by redstonerodent »

Loewchen wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:45 am
In multiplayer I can reproduce being able to access and move fuel while out of range. The tab will become grayed out if you close and re-open the train GUI without moving or clicking on anything else in between.
It seems even weirder: if I close and reopen the same train GUI quickly enough, the fuel tab is grayed out. If I wait at least a second or so, it's lit. If I close and immediately open a different train's GUI, it's always lit.

This is in multiplayer, not the host, and in the same save attached above.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Rseding] [1.1.33] Access to train fuel GUI is inconsistent in multiplayer

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. It's now fixed for the next release.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”