Achievement: Fully Automated

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mskvaer
Inserter
Inserter

Achievement: Fully Automated

Post by Mskvaer »

TL;DR
Suggestion for another Achievement : The base works without player attention.
What ?
Get the achievement when the factory runs for - say - an hour, without any action of the player, i.e. no commands issued. As in : I dare you to go outside for an hour, leave Factorio running, and come back and see it has produced and not been wiped by biters

This might be easy(?) in the early stages of the game, so active defenses killing bugs responding to the pollution has to occur, too, to prove there is an active factory doing stuff. Or N Rocket launches, N science packs are produced/consumed.

The main point is to achieve a no-touch, lights-out, hands-in-pockets automated setup and just watch for an extended time. If you don't go for the physical RL walk outside, you must be allowed to scroll around in map view and zoom in without penalty. The player (and all spiderbots) must remain stationary to avoid "accidentally" help the factory (robot repairs, shoulder lasers defending) in several places.
Why ?
I just managed to get my rocket production automated, the defense supplies automated, researched queued up ... surely I should get a reward for this ;) ?

I have not yet played with large factories, where high automation probably is necessary, but this might be a stepping stone on that path, an intermediate goal.

Yeah, a more catchy title for the achievement would be nice, can't think of one though
None of my business, but...
I envisage this is "easy" in the program; a timer that resets for every command but if/when it gets above the trigger level: achievement!
+---+
| M | (now 2000+ hours)
+---+

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Achievement: Fully Automated

Post by Impatient »

Mskvaer wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:22 pm
... Get the achievement when the factory runs for - say - an hour, without any action of the player, i.e. no commands issued. ...
Please define "runs" in this sentence.

To understand what I mean ... I am asking because an achievement needs one or more conditions which must be fullfilled and by which the engine judges if the achievement can be rewarded or not. So what specific conditions would that be for the achievement you suggest?

Would I get the achievement if my factory constantly makes 1 electronic circuit per 10 minutes over the period of one hour? 6 in total? Would that be a worthy achievement?

Would it be that all assembling machines on the map are producing for one hour? Is that possible to achieve?

Get the point?
So, if you want to follow through and craft the specifications for a new achievement, you have to think about and define those conditions. All of them and down to the dot.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

It should also be borne in mind that a lot of people get a bit obsessive about getting all the achievements.

It seems like it would be quite annoying to have an achievement that amounts to "Leave the game running without playing it for an hour."

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think this cries for implementation as mod, not vanilla.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Mskvaer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mskvaer »

Thanks for replying
Impatient wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:39 am
Please define "runs" in this sentence.
:
Would I get the achievement if my factory constantly makes 1 electronic circuit per 10 minutes over the period of one hour? 6 in total? Would that be a worthy achievement?
:
Get the point?
Yep, and I have thought about before posting: "N Rocket launches, N science packs are produced/consumed".

I have also thought about ways you can "cheat" your way to the achievement, and yeah, it's hard to make bullet prof. But in the end it is each player that decides whether they feel proud of having worked around the rules (an achievement of sorts) or solved that particular problem.
Impatient wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:39 am
So, if you want to follow through and craft the specifications for a new achievement, you have to think about and define those conditions. All of them and down to the dot.
The way I have read the FAQ and "Read This or be ignored" guidelines on posting here is that they do not want a specification to write code for. They want inspiration, implementation is their choice.
+---+
| M | (now 2000+ hours)
+---+

Mskvaer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mskvaer »

Kyralessa wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:00 am
It should also be borne in mind that a lot of people get a bit obsessive about getting all the achievements.

It seems like it would be quite annoying to have an achievement that amounts to "Leave the game running without playing it for an hour."
Well, that makes it a different achievement, not just another "do more, bigger" :) Sort of test your selfcontrol.

But that's why I suggest that viewing without influence be allowed. Besides, if you come back after an hour and part of the factory is laid waste you want to know why the defense supplies failed.
+---+
| M | (now 2000+ hours)
+---+

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

Mskvaer wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:22 pm
... is that they do not want a specification to write code for. They want inspiration, implementation is their choice.
I never viewed it that way. I always thought "the more specific, the better."

Mskvaer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mskvaer »

ssilk wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:54 am
I think this cries for implementation as mod, not vanilla.
Thanks for the indirect kudos to recomend this as a mod. I may have misunderstood, but I thought you can only have (steam)achievements in the vanilla?
+---+
| M | (now 2000+ hours)
+---+

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”