How does the "whitelist" on a server work?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
MrJakobLaich
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How does the "whitelist" on a server work?

Post by MrJakobLaich »

Hey guys,

so I'm not sure if this has been posted here, I did search for "enable-whitelist" but did not find a relevant looking post here (googling is something else, but if nobody reported it here then I think it's good to have it reported)

Problem:

The following setting in the config.ini seems to do nothing. It has not enabled the whitelist on my server when starting my server.

Code: Select all

; Options: true, false
enable-whitelist=true

I had to use the following parameter to enable the whitelist manually.

--use-server-whitelist

The parameter did not enable the whitelist in combination with the following parameter when the file could not be found. I think, if the whitelist file could not be found in the given path, it would be helpful if the Server did either not start or start but with a warning.

--server-whitelist

Also I did not find any relevant information about the whitelist on the wiki. (Maybe I just didn't see it)
https://wiki.factorio.com/Command_line_parameters
The following information is not helpful enough.
--server-whitelist FILE | Path to file with server whitelist.
Where does the path start? Do I have to add the filename to the path?
Which of the following paths would be right? I tried every single one (and other combinations) but none of them enabled the whitelist.
  • __PATH__executable__/../../
  • server-whitelist.json
  • __PATH__executable__/../../server-whitelist.json
Where do I have to put the whitelist? It looks like the config file has to be in a specific spot (given by the "config-path.cfg") but the whitelist file worked when I put it into "__PATH__executable__/../../" and enabled it with the "--use-server-whitelist" parameter

I hope this is helpful, maybe I did something wrong, but I think I did everything I could when trying to get it to work. xP

Hope this helps :)

PS I find it really cool that there even is a button to turn off smileys here on my post if I don't like them :D

MrJakobLaich
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: whitelist

Post by MrJakobLaich »

Thanks for the reply, I already looked at that and that was (before finding the post) my first attempt.

Also adding players to the whitelist (after enabling it) did not save to the server-whitelist
I a streamer, gamer, programmer!
But am I human?

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: How does the "whitelist" on a server work?

Post by Hornwitser »

The dedicated server server mode more or less ignores everything in config.ini expect for the paths so there's nothing useful in there.

To make the whitelist work on startup there's 2 requirements, you need to pass --use-server-whitelist on the command line and the whitelist loaded (which defaults to server-whitelist.json in the write directory) must not be empty. You can make both of these condition happen by starting up with --use-server-whitelist and then issue a "/whitelist add playername" command to add playername to the whitelist (it'll write a new server-whitelist.json if it doesn't exist).

It's horribly inconsistent with how the adminlist and banlist works but it is what it is. If you specify a path to the server whitelist it's relative to the current working directory.

MrJakobLaich
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: How does the "whitelist" on a server work?

Post by MrJakobLaich »

Thanks for the answer :D

I feel like this needs to be in the wiki, what do I have to do to get more infos into the wiki? :)
I a streamer, gamer, programmer!
But am I human?

Return to “Technical Help”