New hardware for server, can no longer catch up

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
kasperl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

New hardware for server, can no longer catch up

Post by kasperl »

Hi all,

I've just bought a new server so me and a few friends could make a bigger factory in Factorio without any slowdowns. Previously we could connect and play fine, but during/after an artillery strike things slowed down a bit, and we had some slowdowns when doing massive things with robots. Nothing major, but I wanted a smoother experience so got a newer server.

On the new server I can no longer catch up from my desktop gaming PC. The catchup bar just goes backwards and I can never connect. I've tried installing the Pause While Catching Up mod [1], but that doesn't seem to help. I've tried both running the game in the Docker container from Factoriotools, and as just the normal server (copied the full folder form the old, working server and ran it with the same command). Any ideas on what I can do? I've attached all the logs and the hardware of the computers involved.

I've also tested the network throughput from both servers with iperf, for both machines it's greater than 900mbit/s.

Old server:
Celeron G1610, 8GB RAM, Debian buster/unstable
New server:
i5 9600k, 32 GB RAM in a VM. If needed, up to 64GB available, Debian Bullseye
Client:
Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, Debian Bullseye.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

[1]: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/piocu-pau ... atching-up

EDIT: Forgot to add, all of this is on Factorio 1.1.32.
Attachments
factorio_client_cannot_catchup.log
(8.55 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
factorio_server-current.log
(5.28 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
lshw_new_server.txt
(22.22 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
lshw_client.txt
(28.05 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
lshw_old_server.txt
(25.18 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New hardware for server, can no longer catch up

Post by Loewchen »

Well, previously your server was the bottleneck, now its your client. You can reduce game speed to be able to join, see 68653.

kasperl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: New hardware for server, can no longer catch up

Post by kasperl »

Thanks! Now at least I can rejoin the game again, and the pause-while-catching-up mod works now as well.

To be honest, I'm kind of sad that with this combination of hardware I've got such a big performance issue, as it did run quite well (without noticeable slowdown) on the previous server. The client hardware isn't that behind the times, is it?

On the old server, with the same savegame, I'm getting 60FPS and 60UPS steadily, without problems. On the new server, I'm seeing 50-60UPS and suddenly 5FPS, or if I keep the game speed lower, 40/40. Anything above 0.8 and the FPS just drop off a cliff.

I\m somewhat confused how this works, the client hardware is remaining the same, but suddenly it's not quick enough to update at the same rate, because the server got faster?

Return to “Technical Help”