Quality of Life Improvement to Character Logistic Panel

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

C_Orlofsky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Quality of Life Improvement to Character Logistic Panel

Post by C_Orlofsky »

It is frequently difficult to locate a specific entity in the character logistic panel in order change or delete it. The entities appear where ever the player has created them. After a while, with several (or many!) entries, it is hard to remember where each one is in the grid. When entering a new entry, I frequently get the error message that the entity already exists, and I have go searching for it.

I have several ideas (which I assume would be easy for the devs to implement) for aiding the player in finding a given entity:

1. When the cursor is over an entity in the inventory or crafting panels, highlight it in both panels. Heck, highlight in all three panels regardless of which panel the cursor is in.

2. Sort the entries in the same order that they are in in the inventory or crafting panels. People are accustomed to that order.

3. If an entity is already in the logistics panel, navigate to that entry if the player tries to create that entry again. No need to punish the player with an error message when you can help the player instead.

4. Provide a means (checkbox, hotkey, etc.) to hide the min/max amounts in the display of logistical entries, at least on a short time basis so the entity graphic is easier to see.

I know the devs have stated that they are not doing any major new features to the 1.0 version of the game, but have stated that they would be open to minor improvements. I hope these suggestions are minor enough and easy enough for the devs to consider doing one or more of them. Personally, I would be happy with #1, but any or all of them would be welcome.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Quality of Life Improvement to Character Logistic Panel

Post by eradicator »

C_Orlofsky wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:59 pm
3. If an entity is already in the logistics panel, navigate to that entry if the player tries to create that entry again. No need to punish the player with an error message when you can help the player instead.
Yea, either that or just auto-delete the old request. The current way feels like a beurocrat telling me that requests can only be requested after first requesting a formal unrequest request at another office in the building across the street - but that office is already closed for today.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

evileye.x
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by evileye.x »

C_Orlofsky wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:59 pm
Heck, highlight in all three panels regardless of which panel the cursor is in.
Yes, please.

And maybe autosort / player sort switch would be handy

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Makes a lot of sense.

Ideas are borrowed from
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=96352 Three Personal Logistics improvements - save/restore, move, and highlighting
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94178 change request location instead of 'a request for this item already exists'
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18993 New Feature: Allow reordering logistics requester slots
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=20566 Changes for the Personal Roboport
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”