[1.1.30] Invalid index 15 for Direction

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
factomight
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.30] Invalid index 15 for Direction

Post by factomight »

Hey,

i can't load my save (sandbox game) anymore, trying to load crashes to load menu and generates the Notice 'Invalid index 15 for Direction'.
It's not just one save, autosave files fail to load with the same error message. Older savefiles of the same map load fine though.

Logfile:
24.081 Factorio initialised
24.110 Steam Storage Quota: 4361/4768
30.466 Loading map C:\Users\someguy\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\saves\1.zip: 49678171 bytes.
30.602 Loading level.dat: 161757667 bytes.
30.606 Info Scenario.cpp:197: Map version 1.1.30-0
31.801 Warning Map.cpp:346: Map loading failed: Invalid index 15 for Direction
32.391 Error AppManagerStates.cpp:1590: Invalid index 15 for Direction
Any idea what is causing this? I didn't find a reference to this error anywhere unfortunately.

And tbf the map became unstable a couple of days ago for some unknown reason and caused the entire game to crash every couple of hours. Reload was fine though.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(9.43 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
1.zip
(47.38 MiB) Downloaded 84 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.30] Invalid index 15 for Direction

Post by Loewchen »

Do you need the save fixed if possible to do so?

factomight
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by factomight »

Would be awesome if possible. I did lose maybe ten hours on this.
I just fear the error might pop up again sooner or later if i go back to an earlier save.

factomight
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by factomight »

Anyone got any ideas? :)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

factomight wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:32 pm
Anyone got any ideas? :)
These kinds of errors indicate the map was corrupt on the player's computer. There are currently no known ways that maps get corrupt through game bugs. Not to say there are none or have never been any - but we do not know of any at the moment.

The only known ways this happens is hardware errors on player's computers. bad RAM, random bit-flips, bad hard drives/CPUs and such. Those cases are completely outside of our control and all we can do is show the errors when loading fails (as you're seeing) - letting the player know the save file has been corrupt through some means we aren't able to control.

This can happen to anyone on any computer in any game/piece of software (it's not specific to Factorio). The only "solution" that I know if is to have multiple save files so if one does get broken through some extreme rare issue you can use a previous working save.

I personally have never had a save file corrupted due to any kind of hardware issue or random bit flip. But I have seen several over the years working on Factorio and they have always been traced back to single bit flips or bad hardware.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

factomight
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by factomight »

Yeah well i did run this on fairly advanced hardware - 5800X / 3600MHz CL16-16-16-36 RAM / 970 EVO
I did a couple of tests but nothing noticable popped up. Drivers and bios are all current, PBO set to active
If i had to guess i'd say it's a ram issue - i have to run it at 1.4V otherwise it won't boot at all. Not bad initself and no ram errors during tests but not what you would want to see.

so thanks anyway

Return to “Technical Help”