Switch on/off hand crafting per item

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Switch on/off hand crafting per item

Post by Qon »

chridder wrote:I hope that explanation makes the suggestion a bit more clear?!
Yes, yes it does. That's exactly the kind of explanation I wanted. I now understand the problem much better. I'm not qonvinced yet that the suggested solution is the best one though. And I solve those problems simply by not caring that much about it and just craft what I feel like and get new plates when I need to from the chests of plates, gears and circuits in my base. Or I solve it by remembering that I have intermediates somewhere in my base that needs to be used up. Or I solve it by right clicking the crafting menu only while I have the intermediates.
Chridder wrote:But that brings me to another point. the recipe previe should also show that I could hand craft the burner furnace, but that I have blocked it.
I think that it instead should show you which immediate ingredients you are already carrying by bolding those ingredients or something. And then maybe a hotkey that is like shift+m1 but only crafts as many as you have the immediate ingredients for? That should solve most of your troubles (at least point 1 and point 2) and would be less.... weird. Could maybe be modded in to some extent. What do you think about that as a solution instead?

Your suggestion seems a bit like a suggestion for a notepad within the game because some players can't remember what they are supposed to work on next or a confirm dialog to pop up every time you try to walk onto rails. It doesn't really fit, imo. The ability to prevent yourself from doing something when you can just... not do it...

chridder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chridder »

Qon wrote: I think that it instead should show you which immediate ingredients you are already carrying by bolding those ingredients or something. And then maybe a hotkey that is like shift+m1 but only crafts as many as you have the immediate ingredients for? [...] What do you think about that as a solution instead?
I think that would help a lot. I still would prefer the other way, but I also agree to some extend to your next point:
Qon wrote: Your suggestion seems a bit like a suggestion for a notepad within the game because some players can't remember what they are supposed to work on next or a confirm dialog to pop up every time you try to walk onto rails. It doesn't really fit, imo. The ability to prevent yourself from doing something when you can just... not do it...
So, just because I can't remember what I want to do and craft something else instead, requesting to change the game feels not right. I haven't seen it from that angel up to now.
But if someone would be able to mod that, I would be the first one, installing the mod :)

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

chridder wrote:But if someone would be able to mod that, I would be the first one, installing the mod :)
There's a "mod request" subforum if you want to try your luck.
The in game GUI elements are not very moddable so something like middle clicking to toggle handcrafting might not be possible. While handcrafting can be turned on/off for individual recipies (shown with red background) I think it's one of the things that can't be changed on the fly. And I can't find a specific setting for this in the mod API so it might be decided from the recipe category, which is read only. So the modder might have to try to re-implement the handcraft block by canceling any handcraft of blocked recipies if the immediate ingredients aren't available. That would be quite a lot more work and could interfere with other mods such as HH, because other mods would then not be able to detect that what items are handcraft blocked.

A hotkey that removes anything from the crafting that will be used up by other things later in the crafting queue should be fairly simple though. You would have to click it immediatly after shift clicking any item though before the first immediate ingredient is crafted if you want to completely prevent any intermediates from being crafted. This would ban all prerequisites from being crafted. A GUI list could be added to only block some prerequisites. This idea is basically a version of the shift click to craft all as long as you have the prerequisites, but works retroactivly on the crafting queue. So it doesn't need to modify the crafting GUI.

shadow0133
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Mark manual crafting recipe as not implicitly craftable

Post by shadow0133 »

Player can mark crafting recipe as locked. When crafting something that uses it, it won't autocraft locked item.

For example:
You could lock Advanced circuits.
Then when mass crafting Electric furnaces it would only use circuits from inventory and stop when used all of them.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mark manual crafting recipe as not implicitly craftable

Post by Zavian »

For the quoted example, you can easily achieve that by simply not having (or autotrashing) plastic.

TheKingOfFailure
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheKingOfFailure »

Yes but what if you do, for instance, still wish to craft cannon shells in your inventory as well? I'm sure in many instances this idea falls apart, especially when you are producing basic circuits en mass and requesting them to you, and you dont want all of your iron eaten up to craft them in your pocket. I see this making the "craft all" function a little more useful, and with an alt/ctr click and simple "lock" graphic very easy to implement too.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

That would definetly be a nice feature. Often i have to manually abort crafting (modded) green circuits because handcrafting is too slow but i still want to "craft all".
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

4xel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by 4xel »

TheKingOfFailure wrote:Yes but what if you do, for instance, still wish to craft cannon shells in your inventory as well?
  • drop a chest down
  • put plastic in it
  • order to craft all Electric furnaces
  • Delete the chest, gathering the plastic.
  • order to craft all canon shells
Easy as that.

I see this making the "craft all" function a little more useful
Despite the UI being much better than most of the other crafting games I know of, handcrafting is not supposed to be useful past the first hour or so, let alone handcrafting intermediaes.
Last edited by 4xel on Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

This is the same suggestion as 50996
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

merged
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”