Roboports should output missing materials to circuit network / Roboports emit signals with missing blueprint items

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A signal that contains all the entities in the construction zone that cannot be built

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: A signal that contains all the entities in the construction zone that cannot be built

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Same suggestion as this one: 39474
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Roboports should output missing materials to circuit network

Post by ssilk »

merged with that very old, very long topic

XANi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Roboports emitting signals with missing blueprint items and requests

Post by XANi »

TL;DR
Roboport should have option to emit:
  • Missing elements for the blueprint in the network's range.
  • Logistic requests that can't be fulfilled from network inventory
What ?
We have mods like GhostScanner (scans ghosts, outputs parts of the ghosts) who fulfill it partially but it comes at hefty UPS cost and apparently any changes that would make it easier for mods to implement would be pretty save-corruption-prone:

viewtopic.php?f=221&t=74375
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=72794&p=439955#p440157

As for logistic requests we kinda already have half-working version of it when some of the logistic network summary will go to small negative value if one of the items have requests but no inventory to fill. Expanding it so it shows actual value (if something requests 1000 but there is 0 in the network it should signal -1000) would allow to build stations that "order what they need" automatically, without player having to set up much.

Why ?
Especially in modded playthrus the ghost info would reduce the tedium of packing every single needed thing on train or rocket as the "outpost" could just signal what it needs and then the player is left only with the interesting part of setting their train/rocket/whatever else network to deliver the goods. Currently available mod kinda get too slow once you get to the part where you could really use that functionality (multiple outposts/planets in case of SE)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Roboports emitting signals with missing blueprint items and requests

Post by Koub »

@OP : This suggestion seems similar (in what it tries to achieve) to this one : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55502
Do you agree, or did I misunderstand something ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Roboports should output missing materials to circuit network / Roboports emit signals with missing blueprint items

Post by ssilk »

merged with existing topic

@Koub: The magic word to find this is “ghostscanner”. :D

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Roboports should output missing materials to circuit network / Roboports emit signals with missing blueprint items

Post by adam_bise »

Still needed. There is no way (that I know of) to read ghosts into a signal, without mods at least.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

When you follow the thread you’ll see, that this will not very likely to be added, because it adds a bunch of extra cycles (*) to the cpu only for players like you and me, that eventually use this feature.

(*) the problem is, that the roboports overlap on construction range. So it is not just adding an extra list “roboport -> constructions within this roboport”. This would add constructions, that exists in two or more roboports, you would count them twice or more and need to filter out those doublettes afterwards. And the overlapping can change every tick (no power, (de)constructed roboport, etc.).

The game solves this problem currently by going through all chunks step by step and count the items within that chunk that needs construction. You can see that by making very big constructions.

IMHO this is a hard (mathematical) problem to solve this count in a way that is O(1) or lower. And I really don’t think it will be added before this basic problem is solved.

Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

read placed ghosts to circuit network

Post by 000 »

TL;DR:
placed, unconstructable ghosts can be read to the logistic network through roboports in range of that ghost

What?
I propose a new "ghost-[entity-name]" signal class for the circuit network. This signal class would be used by roboports to automatically report all ghosts within their range that cannot be constructed.

This means that if a player were to, say, place a rocket silo ghost, then run a wire from a roboport to any valid entity, that entity would recieve the signal "ghost-rocket silo" at a value of 1. These signals could be used by the circuit network in the normal way.

It might be useful to give players control (via entity setting once connected) over whether each roboport only reads its own range, or whether roboport networks can merge their signals together.

Why?
The example I gave is why I want it. I want to be able to have an assembler which produces rocket silos, but only when one is needed (a ghost is present with the "cannot be constructed" warning). I can easily restrict the input belts, inserters, or power (dealer's choice) until a desired signal arrives; but, currently, there is no possible way to signal that a rocket silo is needed, so I can't do this at all.

I have been keeping up with friday facts and as far as I'm aware, this functionality has not been added.
This has probably been suggested before, but I couldn't find it when searching. Hopefully that doesn't mean it's been moved to "won't do"; or if it has, hopefully the devs will reconsider in the light of other logistic, ghost, and circuit related changes planned for 2.0
Attachments
ghost statistics.png
ghost statistics.png (21.16 KiB) Viewed 496 times
scenario.png
scenario.png (841.91 KiB) Viewed 496 times

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: read placed ghosts to circuit network

Post by FuryoftheStars »

My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with the same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: read placed ghosts to circuit network

Post by Qon »

000 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:45 pm
I propose a new "ghost-[entity-name]" signal class for the circuit network.
Wrong.
We don't want that. That will just give a lot of duplicate signals that we have to manually translate, a massive pain to deal with.
Just send "ghost" signal (any signal type we select) with count and the actual regular entity signals for each ghost type and their counts.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

ssilk wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:39 am
(*) the problem is, that the roboports overlap on construction range. So it is not just adding an extra list “roboport -> constructions within this roboport”. This would add constructions, that exists in two or more roboports, you would count them twice or more and need to filter out those doublettes afterwards. And the overlapping can change every tick (no power, (de)constructed roboport, etc.).
Why not just not worry about that and let player design ingenuity handle it?

Yes, if a ghost is in two robot networks and you merge the signals from those networks you'll double-count those ghosts. So what? There's no way to know which network the player wants the signal to be in anyway.

We just want ghost combinator as another option on roboports.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Illiander42 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:54 am
Why not just not worry about that and let player design ingenuity handle it?

We just want ghost combinator as another option on roboports.
The scanner for Recursive Blueprints+ provides a solution I think is superior. It can do any area (up to a max size), anywhere. And it can be configured with signals in many different ways to filter the output. And it doesn't affect UPS when not in use, it only scans for one tick when you tell it to.

You still get the issue of overlapping areas if you want to query an area that is very large or not rectangular so that you have to do multiple scans and entities larger than 1x1 then may overlap several non-overlapping scan regions. But you get way more control over where the scan regions are so you can often work around this with ease.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

Qon wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:13 pm
The scanner for Recursive Blueprints+ provides a solution I think is superior. It can do any area (up to a max size), anywhere. And it can be configured with signals in many different ways to filter the output. And it doesn't affect UPS when not in use, it only scans for one tick when you tell it to.

You still get the issue of overlapping areas if you want to query an area that is very large or not rectangular so that you have to do multiple scans and entities larger than 1x1 then may overlap several non-overlapping scan regions. But you get way more control over where the scan regions are so you can often work around this with ease.
I'd be really happy if we got recursive blueprints in vanilla.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

While roboport networks can overlap amd join and split every tick this doesn't seem to be a problem for assigning construction bots or for displaying the "ghosts missing items" alert at the bottom of the screen. That alert is already generated and counts missing items, even doing so for multiple surfaces separately.

So the only thing that seems to be missing would be associating the missing items to specific roboport networks. It's true that those networks can overlap so a missing item might be missing in multiple networks. Should this be added to every roboport network that covers the item or just one of them? I don't really care but adding it to every network is probably the better solution. Better to over supply than to end up missing an items because the network the missing item gets reported to doesn't produce said item. But if the code only allows reporting an item to one network then so be it. Overlapping construction networks that supply different items and where you only produce missing items without any buffer will be very rare. I wouldn't consider that a game ending limitation.

Similary the missing items alert only shows items where a construction bots would be available and only shows the last 600 items searched. That is a llimitation but again does it matter? If you use the new "missing" signal and produce or ship in the 600 missing items then the next 600 missing items will pop up and everything will get build eventually. If you are producing items you probably can't produce them faster than the count refreshes anyway. I only see that as an inconvenience for trains, where more than the 600 missing items would fit in a single train. In such a case I would probably add some logic that if solar panels are missing then order a whole cargo wagon of solar panels, not just the reported count. Or some other useful multiplier or rounding up.

My use case for this signal would be more for repairs or small numbers of items. If the aliens destroy an accumulator at some outpost then I need to ship in a replacement via train. This shouldn't happen but sometimes things go wrong. Not often enough to keep a spare of everything on hand in every outpost. A missing items signal would be invaluable there. On the other hand if I blueprint a new mining outpost from scratch I know I need 300 miners and a ton of belts. So just bring a lot of those and then use the signal to order the 43 missing power poles or 5 rail signals or whatever small stuff.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”