Save file size issues

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
sumdumguy1976
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Save file size issues

Post by sumdumguy1976 »

Hi, I am having some issues with the save game file sizes. I have run out of space on my steam cloud storage(5gb of space) due to the saves/auto saves from factorio being close to 1gb each.
Currently playing factorio with Space Exploration and K2, and a few other mods

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Save file size issues

Post by eradicator »

You forgot to ask an actual question.

Perhaps you want to reduce savegame size with a mod? But that's only useful if you overexplored. If the map grew due to pollution spread that won't change anything.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

sumdumguy1976
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sumdumguy1976 »

Is there a way to fix the file size issue
My systems don't have an issue with gameplay wise other then it taking 30-40seconds to save, and the fact that steam is out of space due to the file size.
I see they the files are zips, are the just stored in them as a container or are they compressed as well?

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Have you considered asking Steam to increase the amount of space you have to store saved games in the cloud?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

sumdumguy1976 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:51 pm
I see they the files are zips, are the just stored in them as a container or are they compressed as well?
Yes, but as far as i remember by default only "fast" not "maximum". You can change the value in config.ini or "The Rest" settings (ctrl?+shift?+click settings). But the way zip works it won't do wonders.

The huge size of your file suggests that you've either explored a lot (SE "scan entire surface" button?) or produce a lot of pollution (which makes the map data larger) or you have a buggy mod that bloats the file with old script data. The latter would be obvious if you open the zip file and look at the size of "script.dat" inside it. The former can be fixed by above mentioned mods that "unexplore" the map (i think Space Exploration's "Systems View" gui also has a button to delete empty chunks).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Technical Help”