How do you decide when you are finished with a save?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Latakia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How do you decide when you are finished with a save?

Post by Latakia »

Factorio is very much one of those games that allow each person to play however they want, so I'm looking forward to a variety of perspectives on this question.

I suppose the question is less relevant to speed runners, but for those who keep playing after launching the rocket, what kinds of things inform your decision to either keep going or move on to another "project."

Bonus question: Do you ever have two or more saves that you're going back and forth between? Or have you ever returned to a save that you set aside weeks or months ago? If so, how did that work out for you?

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How do you decide when you are finished with a save?

Post by ptx0 »

Latakia wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:43 pm
when it slows down to the point that i can't stand working on it anymore ;)

i keep them forever but i almost never go back. maybe someday? but they're fun to look at in the future to see what crazy things i've done.

recently i was working on 1 million SPM in Bob's and gave up on it and started a K2 playthrough. that was annoying to start all over again, so I went back to the Bob's playthrough. haven't gone back to an old map before, really. it never feels very fun, and i'm not sure why.

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

I only ever bother with a rocket launch. Theres really been no reason to do megabases, when I'd much rather solve a "new terrain" problem.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

starlinvf wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:23 pm
I only ever bother with a rocket launch. Theres really been no reason to do megabases, when I'd much rather solve a "new terrain" problem.
you might like Space Exploration, where 'new terrain' is a rocket launch away.

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

ptx0 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:37 pm
starlinvf wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:23 pm
you might like Space Exploration, where 'new terrain' is a rocket launch away.
The pinnacle of the Engineer's life cycle.... to build a ship to go back into space, only crash land on a new planet.

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

I never have done much other than the rocket launch. I like the Rocket-Silo-Construction mod to make that more of a challenge.
With over 5000 hours in the game, I still have never done a 'mega-base'. One of the reasons is that I don't care how the trains work in this game.

I have been spending more time modifying mods for my own use, and learning how to write my own.
So quite often I will just create a new save with a new map to test something new and different. Long before I can launch anything.

I stayed up all night last night trying to figure out how to create my own 'quick start' mod with the help of others on this forum.
Finally retired at around 6:30 am. So after getting my mod to work, I think I'll start a new save again.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

When it is easier to restart than to rip all the old stuff out again.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

It's a game, so "Bored of it", I imagine is the (mostly) universal answer. What inspires boredom? That's probably rather subjective.. For me, is when there aren't any challenges or puzzles left, or the challenges are ones I've previously overcome and have no desire to optimize.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

I never decide. I just lose my interest slowly, play more rarely, do other hobbies, maybe begin a new game (Factorio or something else) etc.

_Shin_
Inserter
Inserter

Post by _Shin_ »

usually whenever I've reached my goal of 1kspm, 2.5, 5, whatever.

I'll usually let it run overnight a few days, if there is some sort of jam (train, supply, whatever) i'll fix it and let it run. Once I get a straight line at the goal SPM for 50 hours i'll start a new map with another goal. Usually higher SPM, but maybe with fewer resources or some other obstacle.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

When will I finish playing?
1. Maybe when all the free RAM in the computer for this game runs out and the game refuses to start?
But there is a chance to buy more and more RAM. Small chance
2. Maybe when will I have the biggest playing time ??
So far I've heard about 13 thousand hours in the game
3. Maybe when the UPS drops to 30 ??
But I still have 47 UPS, I have a little stock
well, or all these factors combined))
Well, about the bonus question - yes, I have a second map, the Death World Marathon, it's funny to play for the first 100 hours, then you can relax :) but I have very little time played there, maybe 2-3 thousand ...

pamira
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by pamira »

I usually play two games, one individual where I am dedicated to launching rockets and another in multiplayer mode to spend time with my friends. It is fun.

Return to “General discussion”