Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Latakia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Latakia »

Khagan wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:43 pm
Latakia wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:57 pm
Spidertron: Do the exoskeleton speed bonus stack? Are there any diminishing returns?
The bonuses add. The fact that they add instead of multiplying is an implicit diminishing return.
Maybe I don't know the technical, official, mathy meaning of "diminishing return," but when I use it in the context of games, it means that if the first one adds 10 of something, but the next one only adds 5, and the next after that only 3, that's diminishing returns if each gain costs the same.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

Latakia wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:05 pm
Khagan wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:43 pm
Latakia wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:57 pm
Spidertron: Do the exoskeleton speed bonus stack? Are there any diminishing returns?
The bonuses add. The fact that they add instead of multiplying is an implicit diminishing return.
Maybe I don't know the technical, official, mathy meaning of "diminishing return," but when I use it in the context of games, it means that if the first one adds 10 of something, but the next one only adds 5, and the next after that only 3, that's diminishing returns if each gain costs the same.
The first exo increases your speed by 20%. The second increases it by 20% of the original speed, which is only 16% of your current speed. Etc. It's even more apparent if you look at the figure that really matters, which is not "How fast am I moving?", but "How much time does it take to get where I am going?": a trip that takes a minute with none takes 50s with one (10s saved) and 43s with two (only another 7s saved).

Latakia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Latakia »

I have never tried using mods with this game. Two quick questions:

1. Should I get them from Steam or somewhere elese? (I bought the game on Steam.)

2. How do I use them for some saved games and keep all mods disabled for other saved games?

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

There is no Steam Workshop for this game. As you implied, there is a source other than Steam for this game. Devs built in a nice mod manager to the game.

The downside to the mod manager is that the game has to restart whenever you make a change to the mod load out, or to any mod settings.

Get your mods in game through the mod manager though. They ones you see are the ones updated to work with your current version of the game.

As for the second question, if you are resuming a game with the same mods (including just the Base mod, aka vanilla no-mod game) you can just load the game up from the Load Save menu, or Continue from the very start of the main menu. If, however, you want to load a game that has a different mod configuration than what was loaded during the startup, you can go to the Load Game menu and find the Sync Mods button in the top right. This will bring up a window allowing you to decide which mods in the save to load up, which mods not in the save to keep, and even whether you want to actually load the save after the game reboots with that new mod set loaded up.

All in all despite the downside of automatically quit-and-restart that the game does when changing mod load outs, the mod manager within the game is a good device that allows both Steam users and non-Steam users equal access to the mods published by members of the community.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Latakia wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:42 pm
2. How do I use them for some saved games and keep all mods disabled for other saved games?
If you plan to frequently change mod layout and don't want to fiddle with the sync-mods button and have free disk space to spare... then another option is: Link your steam account on factorio.com, get the stand-alone zip version, and just use a seperate stand-alone folder for each mod configuration. (Or if you're technically inclined: "factorio.exe --help")
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

kitters
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kitters »

Simple question.
My main map appeared to be too old. Cann't be loaded because it's lower then minimum input version.
What should i do to load my map? What did i have to do to avoid it? Don't forget to load it every update? Maybe I can do it now with lower versions of factorio?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

kitters wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:38 pm
Maybe I can do it now with lower versions of factorio?
That is the correct answer. You have to downgrade Factorio using the Steam betas tab, re-save the map, then reinstall the latest version.

kitters
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kitters »

DaveMcW wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:43 pm
kitters wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:38 pm
Maybe I can do it now with lower versions of factorio?
That is the correct answer. You have to downgrade Factorio using the Steam betas tab, re-save the map, then reinstall the latest version.
Thank you, i've just succeed.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Is there a mean to get the list of all deposits discovered on the map, or do we hunt for them with the radar map?

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

They should be fairly obvious on the map.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Porter65 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:48 pm
Is there a mean to get the list of all deposits discovered on the map, or do we hunt for them with the radar map?
Nothing in vanilla. There are mods to make map markers for resources: https://mods.factorio.com/query/resourc ... ersion=1.1

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

astroshak wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:59 pm
Because you play with a setting with lot of minerals. I play in a mineral-starved world, where the deposits are far and few.

@Silari: Thanks. Not sure there is a toggle on this though, I don't want to have permanent labels.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Porter65 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:12 am
astroshak wrote:
Because you play with a setting with lot of minerals. I play in a mineral-starved world, where the deposits are far and few.

@Silari: Thanks. Not sure there is a toggle on this though, I don't want to have permanent labels.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/sonaxaton ... ap-markers shows on it's mod page there are /commands to remove/re-add/hide/reshow the markers when you want.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Porter65 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:12 am
astroshak wrote:

Actually, I tend to play on maps where the water settings are maxed out (so very large lakes and oceans), with the frequency of resources put to the very minimum (Rail World frequency is 33%, I set for 17%).

Their infrequency does nothing to reduce how visible they are on the map, it only reduces the frequency at which they do so.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Ok thanks guys for the explanations!

Another one, cosmetic. Even when you remove rocks, remains some rock outcrops, that don't block movement and still show when you place paved road. How can you remove them entirely?

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

I use a mod that puts down “clean concrete” ... without such a mod, putting down concrete, refined concrete, or stone brick will not remove all the doodads. Repeated placement should, however, though it may take a few tries.

Completely vanilla :
1 : Pick up 200 Stone Bricks.
2 : Use the + key to expand your placement size to 10x10 (can use smaller if desired).
3 : Put Stone Bricks over the doodad you want to remove.
4 : Hold the Right Mouse Button down to remove all the Stone Bricks.
5 : Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the doodad has been removed.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

I'm adverse to using mods, thanks!

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CleanedConcrete

feedtaleeight
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by feedtaleeight »

I use 40 stone furnaces per yellow belt. According to my math, 40 stone furnaces should produce approx. 12 plates / second. A yellow belt have 13,33 items / sec. This should work, but I have problems with belt compression. Whats the easiest/most efficient way to compress a belt?
Last edited by feedtaleeight on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Whatever you are looking at, it’s old information.

Yellow belts are 15 items/sec. Red belts are 30 items/sec. Blue belts are 45 items/sec.

To turn a full yellow belt of ore into a full yellow belt of copper or iron plate takes 48 stone furnaces, that is 24 on either side of the belt.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Is the expected Biter behavior to not attack your base/outposts, if no pollution reaches any Biter Base?

Because even with Rampant, my pollution being rather limited (not because I play green, but because I obviously suck at Factorio and seldom go beyond 1k iron plate per mn), the Biters base never get pollution. I usually clear them before pollution can reach them, preemptively.

I'm playing with a slightly toned down Death World setting, with Rampant. Evolution factor is 0.73. If I clear some bases now, then yes, Biters launch 'counter-attacks', with groups that will try to hit my mining outposts or weak spots, so Rampant is clearly at work here.

But pre-emptively? No, they never generate attack groups. I'm the only one doing something here, and Biters wait for me to attack their bases.

So is it expected behavior? I thought that with Rampant, there would be periodical raids or offensives from them, even if none of their base is within Pollution, but I'm mistaken it seems.

How can I change that?

Return to “Gameplay Help”