Personal and/or locker chests

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MadiceX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Personal and/or locker chests

Post by MadiceX »

TL;DR
Personal and/or locker chests especially for multiplayer games

What ?
It should be possible to craft personal or locker chests. The size or type maybe does not matter (just choose one of the chests types, maybe the iron or steel chest).

For a personal chest approach (crafted by player A and player B tries to loot it) player B should at least get a message/warning when viewing the chests contents that this chest and its content belongs to player A (yes I know that you can see it on the right side when hovering over the entity, but not every chest should be a personal one only a special crafted one and it would be best to see that message/warning when viewing the chests content).
For this just personal locker approach it should still be allowed to loot or dismantle it.
Maybe the special chest image for the personal chest should have an additional small people/human icon on it to make it recognizable as a personal chest.

For a locker chest approach (crafted by player A and player B tries to loot it) player B should not be able to even view the chests contents or loot it by hotkeys from outside or dismantle it. But it still should be possible to destroy it by shooting at it or using explosives or similar (so that it can be removed if the player will never join the game again or it is totally in the way when something important needs to be build there). But player A should always be able to access the own locker chest.
Maybe the special chest image for the locker chest should have an additional key icon on it or similar to make it recognizable as a locker chest.

Obviously for crafting the personal or locker chests one/some additional ingredient should be necessary in addition to the chest itself.

Why ?
In (massive) multiplayer games there is often a conflict if you need to place your full inventory into chests and another one is taking those chests without asking. Sometimes the games are also interrupted and continued later or a player disconnects by being afk and comes back later. Therefore the players personal or locker chests should still be there when the player joins again.
This would already be very useful for v1.1 stable to improve the multiplayer experience (not waiting for the later extension pack), I think.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Personal and/or locker chests

Post by ssilk »

A) this cries loud “I’m a mod”. Should I move it to modding ideas?
B) why should I strip down my whole inventory in a multiplayer ?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

In principle this is an interesting idea, but clearly you've already anticipated the problems it would create, in terms of a player creating a personal chest that gets in the way and no one else being able to remove it or interact with it.

But if another player can destroy or otherwise interact with a personal chest, then what's the point?

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

I think the game should provide useful tools to servers as is as many run unmodded.

But I agree, why would you want to empty out your inventory in the general case? Especially of items that are perhaps not mass produced (e.g. armour, equipment)?

Factorio (at least without mods) also doesn't have a large amount of items that players might consider personal (e.g. very hard to obtain resource items, customised/rng-stat equipment, etc.) that a player might need a more secure storage for.

MadiceX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MadiceX »

e.g. for getting inventory empty to transport a ton of items
like moving full chests of plates or similar from one place to another
like collecting everything before warp in warptorio 2.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

MadiceX wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:11 pm
e.g. for getting inventory empty to transport a ton of items
like moving full chests of plates or similar from one place to another
Well that is a temporary use, are you really worried the people you play with will loot your stuff in the couple minutes took to sort something out? And pretty rare case really. I think the game definitely tries to steer the player away from moving large amounts. Use automation and slot limits to empty it out or preventing it getting so full to start with.
MadiceX wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:11 pm
like collecting everything before warp in warptorio 2.
Well if you are brining mods into it, then definitely could look for a mod solution.

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

Kyralessa wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:18 am
In principle this is an interesting idea, but clearly you've already anticipated the problems it would create, in terms of a player creating a personal chest that gets in the way and no one else being able to remove it or interact with it.

But if another player can destroy or otherwise interact with a personal chest, then what's the point?
Minecraft kind of got around that problem with Ender chests. Storage is player bound, so all the chest really does is act as a way to access it. So if the chest is removed, nothing happens other then needing to place down a new one.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

starlinvf wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:33 pm
Kyralessa wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:18 am

Minecraft kind of got around that problem with Ender chests. Storage is player bound, so all the chest really does is act as a way to access it. So if the chest is removed, nothing happens other then needing to place down a new one.
Minecraft has lots of high value stuff in the base game like enchanted equipment that on a server is worth trying to give some protection though. Don't really want someone to grab some of that stuff, go dig a hole and accidentally fall in the lava.

On a non-modded Factorio game, what are people really worried that doesn't also fall into the kinds of other griefing that could be done and this wouldn't fix (like destroying/deleting half the base, or intentionally breaking the power supply)?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”