[posila] [1.1.25] Can't place a wall ghost near trees

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Genhis
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

[posila] [1.1.25] Can't place a wall ghost near trees

Post by Genhis »

Description:
In a WALL-TREE-WALL configuration, I can't place a wall ghost (with shift+click) on the tree tile.
The issue has been bugging me in a modded save, so I tried reproducing it in a fresh game without mods and I was able to successfully reproduce it.
Steps to reproduce:
  1. Note: This only happens with some trees (it may be related to their collision box.
  2. Place two walls next to a tree (one on the left side, another on the right side) leaving a 1-tile gap.
  3. Try placing a wall as a ghost in the gap.
  4. The placement is unsuccessful, the ghost is red and "Tree is in the way" message appears.
In the image below, the issue does not occur when I remove the left wall but can be reproduced without the right wall.
factorio.png
factorio.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 4145 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.25] Can't place a wall ghost near trees

Post by posila »

This is working as intended, unfortunatelly.
The placed walls would connect to the wall ghost, expanding their bounding boxes and at least one of them would then collide with the tree, so it doesn't allow to build the ghost there.
That makes for some inconvenient/flawed behavior, though.

Genhis
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Genhis »

That is unfortunate. I build walls using personal bots with shift+click in areas with many trees because it's quicker and the leftover trees also serve as a second wall, but sometimes I miss a spot. Then I have to manually cut down the tree because the wall is not placeable. It happens to me around 20 times per day when I am expanding my territory and it's a bit annoying.

Thank you for your reply though, I understand it may not be easily fixable without breaking other things.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Would it help, to place a wall blueprint, which cannot miss a spot?

Why is the bounding box of single wall smaller than a connected wall. Could it not be the same?

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

jodokus31 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:50 pm
Why is the bounding box of single wall smaller than a connected wall. Could it not be the same?
To make graphical sense when walking.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

posila wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:39 pm
This is working as intended, unfortunatelly.
I'm fairly sure it has only started happening very recently (perhaps even being new in 1.1.25); I noticed it for the first time a day or two ago. Have the intentions changed? (A similar problem with cliffs not being demolished when needed has been around a while though.)
jodokus31 wrote:
Would it help, to place a wall blueprint, which cannot miss a spot?
Yes, this is a rather clumsy workaround.

Genhis
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Genhis »

posila wrote:
The placed walls would connect to the wall ghost, expanding their bounding boxes and at least one of them would then collide with the tree, so it doesn't allow to build the ghost there.
This has got me thinking, why does it matter that the wall would collide? The tree is marked for deconstruction anyway.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Khagan wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:41 am
I'm fairly sure it has only started happening very recently (perhaps even being new in 1.1.25); I noticed it for the first time a day or two ago. Have the intentions changed? (A similar problem with cliffs not being demolished when needed has been around a while though.)
The check that already existing walls won't collide after connecting to the new piece is new to 1.1, but there were some other bugs in it, so this specific case might have not worked correctly until a few patches ago.
Genhis wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:11 am
This has got me thinking, why does it matter that the wall would collide? The tree is marked for deconstruction anyway.
Ghosts can collide with entities marked for deconstruction but real entities can't.

I am seriously considering to make the buildability check fail only if the colliding entity is a character or spidertron leg. Walls were extending bounding boxes to possibly colliding size for years and I don't recall it ever causing any issues besides someone walling-in themself occasionally, which I don't think is a game issue, to be honest. With spidertron being mobile construction unit, the problem of one of its legs being accidentally walled in by construction robots became a real issue.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Genhis wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:11 am
posila wrote:
The problem is, that the bounding box of the real/existing wall gets bigger by placing a ghost next to it. A real entity cannot collide with a real tree, no matter if one of it is marked for deconstruct
AmericanPatriot wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:07 am
jodokus31 wrote:
To make graphical sense when walking.
Fair.
Maybe the single wall reserves enough space for the bigger variants, before placing? So the colliding tree would be deconstructed before placing.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
For 1.1.27 I decided to do what I said in the previous post and change the buildability check such that neighbouring walls must not become colliding with character or spidertron.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”