[Klonan] [1.1.19] Wave Defence - Unresponsive biters, huge map size and RAM usage

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
ChickenBones
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Klonan] [1.1.19] Wave Defence - Unresponsive biters, huge map size and RAM usage

Post by ChickenBones »

I've been playing a wave defence map on multiplayer with a friend on and off for a couple months. We're past day 200 now, and have a solid perimeter, we recently tried to finish the game via artillery and a spider army and... well it's time for a bug (biter) report.
Map View
Biters
Details:
  1. Throughout the playthrough the file size has grown to over 300MB.
  2. Sever RAM usage has increased from 5.6GB to 7GB over 45 mins. Client RAM usage is stable (4GB according to windows task manager).
  3. A large number of biters are spawned and unresponsive, never attacking the base, not milling around
  4. Use of artillery is _very_ unsatisfying
The wave defence scenario seems to spawn a vast quantity around the nearest nests, but overrides their attack directives. Most biters are never sent to the base, simply frozen at the nests. File size does appear to have reduced recently, probably because we destroyed a nest and a few thousand biters with rockets and nukes.

Biters can be aggro'd by player, but artillery aggro does not work as desired. When shooting a nest, some biters in the nearby area form an attack squad, but most stay idle. The biters in the attack squad then stop milling around, freezing in place and do not attack the base. We were hoping for the massed army to come crashing against our walls when we fired the artillery, but alas.

Save file: http://chickenbones.net/factorio_report ... udding.zip (this is the same server I host my minecraft mods on, link is safe).
Log file: http://chickenbones.net/factorio_report ... urrent.log
RAM usage log: <in progress, running the server for 8 hours with memory usage appended to file every minute>

I'd like to see all biters spawn as base defence, then switch to attack, with new biters spawned to replace them on base defence. When base is being attacked by a player, more biters could continually spawn.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Klonan] [1.1.19] Wave Defence - Unresponsive biters, huge map size and RAM usage

Post by Klonan »

Thank you for the bug report,
Basically you overloaded the pathfinder

I made some fixes to the scripts for the next release, but that won't change the script in your save game,
So I can recommend the following remedial action:

Copy paste in the following console command in full

Code: Select all

/c game.forces.enemy.kill_all_units() game.player.force.rechart() game.map_settings.path_finder.general_entity_collision_penalty = 1 game.map_settings.path_finder.general_entity_subsequent_collision_penalty = 1 
It will clear all the stuck biters, and amend the pathfinder to work better

ChickenBones
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Klonan] [1.1.19] Wave Defence - Unresponsive biters, huge map size and RAM usage

Post by ChickenBones »

Seems to have worked great, will let you know if it's fully solved after we've played for more than 5 minutes

ChickenBones
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ChickenBones »

Map size went down to 6MB. We happily finished the map with a spider army. Some biters still get stuck, mostly from spawning in/around cliffs.

JustGoFly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JustGoFly »

I started a Wave Defense with 1.1.19 and continued playing through 1.1.20 passed day 180.
This issue persists, but I notice changes to how it manifests itself.
Previous version would group biters and the group would get huge. This version releases groups to form a column and attack main base at frequent intervals. Some of the biters will wonder around the map and not attack main base. Going anywhere near this horde in this group is insta-death. It does not seem to happen until after day 100, and the groups are frequent. It adds game lag, even when playing solo.
Screen shots of 1.1.20
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2386723765
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2386723220

It seems to happen most frequently near cliffs. Also one interesting change in bahaviour since prior to your update, is that if I die in a group, the whole horde releases and marches towards my main base.
I'll fly near a group and perform the command you recommend.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”