Multiplayer spikes

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Stupps
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Multiplayer spikes

Post by Stupps »

Hi,
I have tried to host a Multiplayergame on different ways (headless Linux Server, Headless Windows Server, LAN).
All Options with the same error. When i press the spacebar or C key for shooting, my Charackter warps over the map. I know this Problem comes from this latency hiding feature, but even when i host a LAN game?
I know, when i host my last game (April 2020) with friends we could play without any issue.
I can remember, that i got this warping problem in a game with a friend and i found a fix or a workaround to solve this, but i cant remember what i have done.
There are servers, with no such problem. What do they do, to solve this. I tried to ask somebody, but most of them were empty.

What i tried so far:
-Host on diffenrent Maschines.
-My Friend hosted a game (same Problem).
-Deaktivated the Windows Firewall
-Used the Download from the Factorio Website (not the Steam version)
-changed the gamespeed

I hope someone know a fix for this.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Multiplayer spikes

Post by ptx0 »

Stupps wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:36 pm
Hi,
I have tried to host a Multiplayergame on different ways (headless Linux Server, Headless Windows Server, LAN).
All Options with the same error. When i press the spacebar or C key for shooting, my Charackter warps over the map. I know this Problem comes from this latency hiding feature, but even when i host a LAN game?
yes

Stupps
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stupps »

wow, is that a thing now? I can play a Multiplayer game only in Singleplayer, because of that?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Stupps wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:11 pm
wow, is that a thing now?
This was never any different unless you play as the server, you might have higher latency than before but without logs and screenshots there is nothing more to tell you.

Stupps
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stupps »

can you tell me which logs and screenshots do you need to tell me anything?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

See 68653.

Stupps
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stupps »

I hope these are the right ones.
-Screenshot
-Video of the Problem
-Save File
-Log
Attachments
blub.jpg
blub.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 2539 times
2021-02-06 16-14-51.mp4
(2.81 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
test server.zip
(2.7 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
factorio-current.log
(10.12 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Looks good, 8 ticks of latency is fine, you can check the server settings has "minimum_latency_in_ticks": 0, as I don't know if a set minimum would show up in the debug overlay. The server log will tell you each players latency and how it changes as seen from the server.

Stupps
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stupps »

minimum_latency_in_ticks is 0. Its the standard setting.

maybe someone who doesnt have this problem can send me the configs. maybe it makes a difference ^^

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Stupps wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:14 pm

maybe someone who doesnt have this problem can send me the configs. maybe it makes a difference ^^
i think you're still mistaken, thinking there is a problem here.. there isn't - it's just how the system works for multiplayer, which you said when you opened your ticket. nothing has changed.

Stupps
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stupps »

ptx0 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:20 pm
Stupps wrote:

i think you're still mistaken, thinking there is a problem here.. there isn't - it's just how the system works for multiplayer, which you said when you opened your ticket. nothing has changed.
i think to say, there isn't a problem is wrong, because there is for me and for others too. And when you say that i have to live with that, because this is how the game works, thats also wrong.
I said, that i played with friends last year and we didnt have that problem or feature.^^
So either they changed something or something on my side is wrong.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Stupps wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:34 pm
ptx0 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:20 pm
Stupps wrote:

i think to say, there isn't a problem is wrong, because there is for me and for others too. And when you say that i have to live with that, because this is how the game works, thats also wrong.
I said, that i played with friends last year and we didnt have that problem or feature.^^
So either they changed something or something on my side is wrong.
human memory is unreliable. you probably are mistaken. this is actually the simplest answer; Occam's razor.

all of the devs have pointed out in other issues where the person says exactly the same thing you do ("something has changed, it used to not be like this") - that nothing has changed.

distortions864
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by distortions864 »

minimum tick latency was added specifically for lan play, where latency is low but still has jitter.
try setting it to 1 or 2.

Return to “Technical Help”