Game slows when selecting a large area to do a task with robots

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
whymeintrouble
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Game slows when selecting a large area to do a task with robots

Post by whymeintrouble »

Good day everyone,

I was just wondering if this is a common issue or something I need to address. The example I'm using is just one way to get it to slow. If you want to have the robots clean your base up and pick everything up off the ground, say a 1 million by 1 million tile area as you select the area you can see FPS/UPS start to tank as you increase the size of the area you wish to clean. The strange thing is I see nothing monitoring CPU usage or GPU usage. after I've selected the area and let go of the mouse button I can see the GPU usage shoot up to about 40% max. but never really goes over that. this is what my desktop looks like:

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
32GB RAM DDR4-3600
GTX 1070Ti 8GB
Samsung 2TB 970 EVO

The only "weak" link is the GPU, but still not a slouch by any means. If you need more info I'll get the screen grabs and the Info from the debug settings. just wanted to know what everyone thought up front.

Nexarius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Game slows when selecting a large area to do a task with robots

Post by Nexarius »

whymeintrouble wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:23 am
Good day everyone,

I was just wondering if this is a common issue or something I need to address. The example I'm using is just one way to get it to slow. If you want to have the robots clean your base up and pick everything up off the ground, say a 1 million by 1 million tile area as you select the area you can see FPS/UPS start to tank as you increase the size of the area you wish to clean. The strange thing is I see nothing monitoring CPU usage or GPU usage. after I've selected the area and let go of the mouse button I can see the GPU usage shoot up to about 40% max. but never really goes over that. this is what my desktop looks like:

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
32GB RAM DDR4-3600
GTX 1070Ti 8GB
Samsung 2TB 970 EVO

The only "weak" link is the GPU, but still not a slouch by any means. If you need more info I'll get the screen grabs and the Info from the debug settings. just wanted to know what everyone thought up front.
Yep happens to me too.

It's probably trying to recalculate every tick what exactly is inside the selected area.

whymeintrouble
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by whymeintrouble »

Nexarius wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:56 am
Yep happens to me too.

It's probably trying to recalculate every tick what exactly is inside the selected area.
I would just like to know what the reasoning is behind it, is it a hardware constraint or software? I obviously can be careful of it, but still am curious about it.

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

Memory. Especially when you have exceeded the size of the CPU cache.

whymeintrouble
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by whymeintrouble »

GPU memory or CPU memory? I've got 32GB of ram. from everything I've noticed, the game never uses more than 9GB of RAM. GPU memory is about 2GB.

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

whymeintrouble wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:20 am
GPU memory or CPU memory? I've got 32GB of ram. from everything I've noticed, the game never uses more than 9GB of RAM. GPU memory is about 2GB.
Main memory. Regardless of how much you have, main memory is glacially slow compared to the CPU, and when you are scanning a large chunk of memory, it won't all fit in the CPU's cache, so the CPU ends up twiddling its thumbs most of the time waiting on memory fetches.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

whymeintrouble wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:20 am
memory latency

whymeintrouble
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by whymeintrouble »

Trific wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:27 am
Main memory. Regardless of how much you have, main memory is glacially slow compared to the CPU, and when you are scanning a large chunk of memory, it won't all fit in the CPU's cache, so the CPU ends up twiddling its thumbs most of the time waiting on memory fetches.
ptx0 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:46 am

memory latency
Thank you both for your input. I appreciate it!

Return to “Technical Help”