Some suggestions for the train signal page.

Anything related to the content on our wiki (https://wiki.factorio.com/)

Moderator: Bilka

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Some suggestions for the train signal page.

Post by blazespinnaker »

- the show_train_stop_point debug option is incorrect. I think you mean show-train-braking-distance (which is very useful!)

- change all references to yellow/orange to yellow to be consistent

- Can you add incorrect rotation to "blinking" - "Blinking - The signal is not on a rail; on a rail but not rotated correctly; or the monitored block is also the block before the signal."

- Adding something with visuals about how you can arrive at the last condition for blinking would be very kind to new folk who want to enjoy trains.

- would be good to update the block color graphic so as to increase confidence in the page that it is up to date (though it'd be good to revert to this graphic. Current graphic doesn't play well with show-rail-paths debug option which is hella useful for understanding trains)
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Some suggestions for the train signal page.

Post by Bilka »

blazespinnaker wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:44 am
- the show_train_stop_point debug option is incorrect. I think you mean show-train-braking-distance (which is very useful!)
Fixed.
- change all references to yellow/orange to yellow to be consistent
There was only one mention of "orange" on the rail signal page, which is now fixed. Let me know if you also meant another page.
- Can you add incorrect rotation to "blinking" - "Blinking - The signal is not on a rail; on a rail but not rotated correctly; or the monitored block is also the block before the signal."
"Not on a rail" already covers "rotated incorrectly" - incorrect rotation means that the signal is not connected to the rail.
- Adding something with visuals about how you can arrive at the last condition for blinking would be very kind to new folk who want to enjoy trains.

- would be good to update the block color graphic so as to increase confidence in the page that it is up to date (though it'd be good to revert to this graphic. Current graphic doesn't play well with show-rail-paths debug option which is hella useful for understanding trains)
It would be great if you could make those edits, I don't quite understand what you want from this description.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

"Not on a rail" already covers "rotated incorrectly" - incorrect rotation means that the signal is not connected to the rail.
So cruel :p Some of us have poor eyesight you know and miss some of those finer details. I swear I looked at it a dozen times and didn't understand why it was saying not on rail.

I'd make a graphic, but tbh I'm not sure I understand trains very well. Some of the finer details are still escaping me. For example, I don't get why this isn't able to split the rails. afaik, the rail after and before it is not connected on the same color (no loop), so why can't they be assigned new blocks?

Screenshot 2021-01-29 230700.png
Screenshot 2021-01-29 230700.png (1.67 MiB) Viewed 2088 times

Also, notice how this is using colored lines instead of the old format of coloring the entire rail to show blocks. We should update the graphic. I looked at the graphic (2017) on the page for rail blocks and wondered if the info was up to date.
Last edited by blazespinnaker on Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

The signal isn't connected to the rail.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Bilka wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:15 am
The signal isn't connected to the rail.
Hmm! You're right.

Some observations:

- You can't rotate some copied ghosts (this one, in particular) so that it will connect to the rail. You have to pipette or pull from inventory.
- This signal was giving the "Can't divide rail into blocks" error, which I usually saw when a rail block was connected via a junction on both sides of the signal.
- Generally, if a signal is off a rail, you actually get a "Not connected to rail" and not can't divide.

So... very confusing. It's kinda interesting how 90% of the challenge of rail for me has been getting past the weird UX and mismatched, thin and obsolete documentation. Once that is figured out, trains are hugely simple and very fun. The tutorials I find are actually unnecessary, except maybe to help figure out the UX.

Return to “Wiki Talk”