Synchronized Savegame

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Cyrilis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Synchronized Savegame

Post by Cyrilis »

Me and a friend have been working on a factory for quite some time now. We only play on this map together, so we always have the same savegame. It is kind of exhausting to have to download the map every single time (and meanwhile it takes quite a bit).
So here is my idea:
Synchronized savegames:

- both host and player save the game on their local computer at the same time (host saves and triggers a save option for the other player. The savegame gets a unique ID, like a number combined from map seed, time strap and a random number of digits)
- next time both players load the game from local and as soon as that is done the Host can trigger the game to start from the "paused" mode.

what do you think?

Xarovin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Synchronized Savegame

Post by Xarovin »

It's a well thought out concept, but I imagine it'd be way too much effort to implement for how niche it is.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Better yet, a hash of the saved game contents. Then it can be confirmed that the contents are the same on both sides.

Of course, whether this would save time depends on whether the hashing function would be faster than saving a game.

asheiduk
Inserter
Inserter

Post by asheiduk »

Xarovin wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:28 pm
It's a well thought out concept, but I imagine it'd be way too much effort to implement for how niche it is.
Well, my friends and myself have the same usecase and would benefit too!

asheiduk
Inserter
Inserter

Post by asheiduk »

asheiduk wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:02 pm
Well, my friends and myself have the same usecase and would benefit too!
After some thinking I'd like to explain some of the benefits of that proposal:
  • Most of my friends and I have a highly asymmetrical DSL connection. In my case: 27MBit/s downstream, 2.7MBit upstream. For downloading huge maps (~240MB) Factorio's custom network protocol is inferior to TCP: The download is capped at ~2MByte/s because my upstream is saturated. (sidenote: Plain TCP-downloads usually can do ~3MByte/s while using only about 10% of the upstream.)
    Having no huge up/download due to synced saves would just solve that cap.
  • The time to enter the game could be reduced considerably also because the download just does not happen.
  • Hosting a server in the AWS cloud (or something similar) causes charges for the CPU and for outbound network transfers. In the case of a ~240MB map the network cost could be reduced considerably with synced saves.

Xarovin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xarovin »

Alternative idea which may require less implementation:

As a user, you can save the current state of the game.
The server holds an optional buffer of previous commands.
Upon connection, if you have the save file and it is within the buffer period, then load the save and fast forward to the current server state.

Cyrilis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cyrilis »

Xarovin wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:27 pm
Alternative idea which may require less implementation:

As a user, you can save the current state of the game.
The server holds an optional buffer of previous commands.
Upon connection, if you have the save file and it is within the buffer period, then load the save and fast forward to the current server state.
That sounds interesting... I'm not too familiar with this command buffer stuff. Could you please give a walkthrough how exactly that is done?
*EDIT* sorry, misread your post. Thought that was an already existing, implemented method... Forget about the walkthrough.

Taneeda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Taneeda »

+1

Same usecase for my friends and me, I like the Idea
Shit happens, don't worry, keep happy

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”