[0.11.1] Downloading times

Things that has been reported already before.
ataaron
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.11.1] Downloading times

Post by ataaron »

Hello there
so loading times:
right after generating a new world it doesn't take long for anyone to connect and sync up but after having built a simple base it raises the loading time significantly (up to 3 minutes last time)
I hope it can be improved because I can imagine getting up to 10 minutes or more on fuller maps.

that said it was not within a LAN and with about 1000 kbit/s upload speed at my end which is the best I can get where I live.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.1] Loading times

Post by Lee_newsum »

on this point can we have a "Peer-to-peer (P2P)" architecture for downloading maps.

wold it work?

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

It will NOT work, i have 100/100mbit speed and map uploads are slow as hell sometimes. I guess they need to pause everything in game and just purely download map and then process it. So game will focus purely on sending it and not sending and loading at the same time as it seems now.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

I will put it in over words.

this post is on how long to download a map from the host?
you like me have 0.5 to 1 Mb upload for big map that is a (*)
so if the devs add "Peer-to-peer (P2P)" for uploading map the player1 wood be a pane but player2 wood get it 1/2 the time and player3 1/3 ect up to the player download speed. :o

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Yes downloading map should be faster. That being said, we do have sort of P2P downloading (at least in theory). If a player downloads a map, it is downloaded from all of the peers... though it is possible that there is a bug in this part :-)

Quis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quis »

If downloading from all players would result in all players seeing the "Sending map to peers" bar filling up, that's not working. Only one player sees the bar progress, at the others it remains empty and disappears when the uploader is done. (The uploader is almost everytime the host, I think only when the host is not in the majority of the desync he isn't the one uploading.)

SwissAndOr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SwissAndOr »

I also have 3-5 minute loading times in our multiplayer base and it also didn't take long to connect when we didn't have anything. I have 30 Mb/s upload and he has the same download speed (based on speedtest.net) and I have a port forward for the game and we play in a direct connection. Must be some sort of game bug/limit because it's definitely not our internet. Our 13 MB map should take 5.2 seconds to download assuming we both have 20Mb/s, and we usually have more. Hope this get fixed because waiting 5 minutes to connect is annoying. Thanks!

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.11.1] Downloading times

Post by cube »

Return to “Duplicates”