[1.1.13] Train pathing past destination in wrong direction adds pathfinding penalty

Bugs that are actually features.
SpeckledFleebeedoo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.13] Train pathing past destination in wrong direction adds pathfinding penalty

Post by SpeckledFleebeedoo »

When a train has to pass through its destination in the wrong direction to get to it the pathfinding penalty for passing through a station that isn't the train's destination is applied. This can cause unexpected behaviour where trains never go to the closest possible destination.

Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(18.48 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
factorio-current.log
(18.58 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Locomotive aficionado. Also known as Train Tech

Kalanndok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [1.1.13] Train pathing past destination in wrong direction adds pathfinding penalty

Post by Kalanndok »

This might be intended.
A train stop usually denotes a place where a train does stop and not a through-line.
And that status usually doesn't change with the direction of the train.

However what might be interesting:
Change the train stop penalties from static values to individual properties for each train stop itself.
So in your case you could define the penalty for the inner stop as 0 since your track layout makes it a must-pass-station.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.13] Train pathing past destination in wrong direction adds pathfinding penalty

Post by kovarex »

Based on fast discussion, this is not considered a bug, as this behaviour can be generally used and avoided based on what you need.

JaJe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by JaJe »

kovarex wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:15 pm
Based on fast discussion, this is not considered a bug, as this behaviour can be generally used and avoided based on what you need.
I am the person who found this Issue while asking for help to Discord community.
I struggled a lot to understand why my rail circuit won't work as intended and my trains always pick up the longest station rather that the shortest one until Swan told me to change the turn around track before the train drive past the train station as pics below:

Before: (Blue-IN station)

After:

While changing this it fixed my issue, I'm thinking about people finding themselves with the same situation as mine and struggling to understand what's wrong.

Thanks for SpeckledFleebeedoo to report my issue here and for help, same for Swan.

Return to “Not a bug”