Why Factorio loading takes so long?...

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Why Factorio loading takes so long?...

Post by PanTobi »

Hello... i just want to know if something is wrong with my PC or its just way how Factorio works...

Because every time i run Factorio i have to wait 2/3 minutes for Factorio to load
my game is stuck at 30% for minute or two...

other Games load normaly like for example MadMax need only around 5/10 sec
Witcher 3 need around 10/15 sec
Anno and Total War games need around 10 sec

but Factorio need around 2/3 minutes... W - T - F ?...

Yes i do have some mods but all mods i use are small...
Mod_List
ofc. im playing only on Last Experimental Factorio...

For while i was thinking that maybe because my Blueprints are Heavy...
Blueprints
But tbh. i'm not even sure where i can find my Blueprint files...
I found some files in Factorio %Appdata% called Blueprint but tbh i'm not sure if those files are my BPs:
Files

idk...
i just want my Factorio to load Faster...

its rly fking annoying when You have to wait 2/3 minutes or more for game to load...

I'm playing Factorio for long time, i was using Pirate version when in Factorio was Zombies and Rocket Turrets instead of Bitters
but i was reinstalling Game many times and now i'm using Steam Version of Factorio... ( by "now" i mean like last 3/4 years xD )

Why my game load so slow T_T...
i waste around 4 Hours in total EVERY MONTH in Loading Screen...

//Edit:
Yes i'm using that OLD AND TERRIBLE WINDOWS 7...
I'm fine with that OS and i like it and im not gonna switch to Win10...

i have Win10 on other computers and i hate Win10...

//Edit2:
if thats because of my Win7... fine... im gonna live with that...
but if its not because of Win7 i want to fix it...

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Why Factorio loading takes so long?...

Post by Zavian »

My load time is 5 seconds (without any mods, but with windows having cached file access from a recent load).
I suggest posting your logfile.

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

Vanilla factorio loads almost instantly, it's mods that slow it down. Something I've noticed and mentioned somewhere before is that I did testing and found that for each additional mod added, even tiny QoL mods that don't adjust prototypes, increases the time for every mod to load. An example with round values to make it clear: Say the vanilla game takes 5s as per the prior post (faster for me but linux/ssd/etc), and say you add a single simple mod, it will increase the loading time by 10ms or so, now add mods to get up to 10 simple QoL non-prototype-editing mods, you'd think it would scale up to 10*10ms for 100ms slower, but instead it causes each mod to take about 5*10ms per extra mod added, so with 10 mods each mod now takes about 50ms to load, so it's now 50ms*10 for 500ms, and this keeps compounding. Now add in that some mods edit prototypes, or walk all the prototypes, and this time gets *huge*. A lot of the slowdown is likely caused by the lua/c interface combined with lua being interpreted (slow), and none of that is really fixable without either making sandboxing really difficult to do reliable (say via luajit, that can remove both the interpreting slowdown since it JITs and the lua/c interface as it can call C code directly, but that would likely break the API to switch to that), or would just outright break the API in full (say using a wasm JIT to run mods in with api to map the C memory in as appropriate for the right calls, much larger work).

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

You can try to temporary disable all mods...how is that?
Another Idea. Load the ZIP Version of factorio for win, extract it and start ./bin/x64/factorio.exe

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by PanTobi »

jodokus31 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:20 am
You can try to temporary disable all mods...how is that?
Another Idea. Load the ZIP Version of factorio for win, extract it and start ./bin/x64/factorio.exe
I disabled all Mods
I started Factorio with C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\bin\x64 ( Factorio.exe )
I reinstalled Game
and i deleted files i no longer use ( Old Saved Games, Old Scenario Maps, Script Output files, and some files i think i don't need xDD #LOL )

Now it start in around 10/20 sec
even after Load Mods again
Zavian wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:52 pm
My load time is 5 seconds (without any mods, but with windows having cached file access from a recent load).
I suggest posting your logfile.
I don't know where i can get my Log file...
i was searching for it in %Appdata% but can't find...

bormand
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bormand »

Which drive type do you have? HDD or SSD?

Factorio has a lot of small files to load (I dunno why they aren't zipped like mods). If you have HDD, this may explain why load time became better after reinstallation. Files became less scattered.

But it's just a guess. It's hard to find a real reason without numbers from the log.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

PanTobi wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:19 pm
I don't know where i can get my Log file...
i was searching for it in %Appdata% but can't find...
For my steam install, the logfile is in %Appdata%/Factorio

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by PanTobi »

bormand wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:35 pm
Which drive type do you have? HDD or SSD?

Factorio has a lot of small files to load (I dunno why they aren't zipped like mods). If you have HDD, this may explain why load time became better after reinstallation. Files became less scattered.

But it's just a guess. It's hard to find a real reason without numbers from the log.
Ye i use HDD :x...
And maybe... because as i said i reinstalled my Game and now it work much better...
Can i somehow make my "files less scattered" without reinstalling game?...

For future :D

bormand
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bormand »

You may try to run defragmentation.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

bormand wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:13 pm
Since Windows 7, the defragmenter is set, by default, to be ran periodically. So unless auto defrag has been disabled, or the disk is too full to allow defragmentation, there should be little fragmentation on the disk.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by PanTobi »

Koub wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:36 pm
bormand wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:13 pm
Since Windows 7, the defragmenter is set, by default, to be ran periodically. So unless auto defrag has been disabled, or the disk is too full to allow defragmentation, there should be little fragmentation on the disk.
Uhh... thats not gonna work :c...
Yes i have disabled it because i'm recording my games 24/7 with Action so 500+GB is taken by my Recorded Games...
Sometimes i upload them on YT or just delete them but most of the time my Disc pretty full :c...
Pic
Ehh ok... so im gonna just reinstall my Factorio from time to time :c...

but tbh... its weird... for many years Factorio was fine even if Disc was completly full...
Hmmm... maybe its because this Disc is few years old already?... idk...

and btw. im curious why other games runs fine
Because all games i have installed on same Disc and only Factorio was loading so slow...

//Edit:
Zavian wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:21 pm
For my steam install, the logfile is in %Appdata%/Factorio
You mean this file ->
factorio-current.log
(9.14 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
I think its already new log file because first line says -> 0.001 2021-01-18 18:14:10;
so ye it was me playing today :x...

I also have this:
s1.png
s1.png (2.76 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
But i think its something else... tbh idk :x... Date looks very old
so its probably something else

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

You are running low on memory, restart your system.

Merlinsting
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Merlinsting »

I had the same issue. Incredibly long load and save times. Turned out to be that I had way too many blueprints.

They are found in the file blueprint-storage.dat found in %appdata%/Factorio. In my case this had grown to 160mb (I had tons of blueprints). I backed up this file. Then I copied all my blueprints into the inventory of the hero and saved a game called "backup blueprints".

Exit game. Then I deleted blueprint-storage.dat file (don't worry the game will recreate an empty one). Start game.

Result - Well as you can imagine, it reset me back to 0 saved blueprints. And it ALSO made my existing saved games, that took soooo long to load and save before, now load instantly!! Saves super quick now also!

Finally I loaded back up the "backup blueprints" game I'd earlier saved. Instead of copying in the years worth of misc blueprints I'd collected, I only saved back a handful of must have blueprints.

Not sure at what point too many blueprints begins to affect load/save times, but it certainly does eventually.

Cheers

Return to “Technical Help”