problem with loading old settings

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
trampek
Inserter
Inserter

problem with loading old settings

Post by trampek »

hey
got problem that i lost all map and player settings and i got lots mods and it would be pain now to recreate everything way it was, game is unplayable to me without bringing it back (many settings are results of months if not years testing various option which i simply just dont remember with 200+ mods)

it all started when i updated to 1.1.9 but could not load save, i had some time to play so instead waiting for it to be fixed i just rolled back to 1.1.8, my bad i didnt make copy of my working 1.1.8 but i had everything i needed with my 1.1.9 working but not loading save so i made copy of that 1.1.9 and then downloaded fresh 1.1.8 and then copy config folder from 1.1.9 to my new 1.1.8 folder and started game , then load save without problem and then in game i noticed RSO error that i cant change map generation ingame and then i noticed everything else is broken :(
no luck trying to google where map and player settings are located , i didnt change anything outside my game folder (nothing in mods or appdata thing) and now i loaded that 1.1.9 copy i made before doing all this and no settings there too
please help this will really take me a lot of time , even looking for RSO settings i had would take me a lot as only way to discover old settings is loading game and looking if there is error or not but there is a lot lot more i need to setup now ...

trampek
Inserter
Inserter

Re: problem with loading old settings

Post by trampek »

someone at least tell me please where those settings are located so if i find time and strenght to make it work again ill make copy of it ...

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Settings are located at the address found in:

C:\Program Files\Factorio\config-path.cfg

(open it with a text editor to see/edit the path)

Mod settings are located in:

C:\Program Files\Factorio\mods\mod-settings.dat
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:33 am
Settings are located at the address found in:

C:\Program Files\Factorio\config-path.cfg

(open it with a text editor to see/edit the path)

Mod settings are located in:

C:\Program Files\Factorio\mods\mod-settings.dat
Only if Factorio is installed in C:\Program Files\Factorio

More generally https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?tit ... _directory .

trampek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trampek »

for me this file is in C:\Users\Trampek\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\mods

but that doesnt explain anything and im even more confused cos i never touch this folder, i was removing and installing factorio on diffrent disk ...

how this got overwritten then ?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

trampek wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:37 pm
how this got overwritten then ?
I don't know what happened, but my guess is something like, when you updated to 1.1.9, the game overwrote the old 1.1.8 version of the mod settings with a 1.1.9 version. When you went back to 1.1.8, the 1.1.9 version probably failed to load the mod settings, so Factorio just reverted them to default values. It probably also overwrote the 1.1.9 versions with those default values. Assuming you have an intact save from before you updated to 1.1.9, then syncing mods to save might allow you to also sync the mod settings from the save file.

trampek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trampek »

i cant sync all mod settings from save just startup settings ( there are 3 - startup,map and player) and as i said i got copy of everything i did and i didnt touch anything in folder with mods so still dont get it how i lost it

what most disturb me is that i lost map settings in process and my save loads but with error from mods and some things arent working as they should and i got no way of recreating it, most i worry about RSO as when i load my save it tell me settings are changed and i need to regenerate while i dont want do that, i dont want also play and find out after few weeks world is broken, most other mods are just annoying to setup again but doable but that RSO got me worried and i was testing map generations like over year ago, picked setting i like and then forget about all of it until now

anyway it should not happen , i felt save i did copy of my things but still got my settings removed, next time ill copy that folder C:\Users\Trampek\AppData\Roaming\Factorio too but imo this shoulnt happen at all

Return to “Technical Help”