[Wheybags] [linux] [0.18.10] Linux/Kubuntu the Copy Button is slightly broken with xclip

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Wheybags] [linux] [0.18.10] Linux/Kubuntu the Copy Button is slightly broken with xclip

Post by GregoriusT »

Oh boy I know how everyone loves OS Bugs, especially potentially complicated ones like the one I am gonna describe.

0: Get Kubuntu and xclip (xclip comes preinstalled so just get Kubuntu I guess)
1: Try to export a Blueprint Book and hit the Copy Button
2: xclip will now contain the Blueprint String just fine.
3: Try to export another DIFFERENT Blueprint Book and hit the Copy Button again (I originally wanted to bulk export 8 Blueprint Books)
4: instead of actually copying that second Blueprint to the Clipboard, the Clipboard will STILL contain the first Blueprint.

What I expected was the first Blueprint going into the Clipboard History of xclip, while the second Blueprint becomes the Main Clipboard Item ready to paste.

Instead I only received one Clipboard Item and it even was the first Blueprint instead of the second that one would expect.

In order to workaround this Issue I had to click on the first Blueprint Book String inside xclip in order to make it the actual paste Item, which made it register fine and was finally letting me to put a second Blueprint Book String into the Clipboard, but then again i needed to click that second one too in order to export a third Blueprint Book, rinse and repeat until all 8 were exported.

This is especially infuriating when the Windows/Meta-Key gets blocked by Factorio exactly every second time and i needed to press Alt-F2 in order to be let to the Desktop so I could interact with the xclip Widget (on two different Kubuntu driven Computers, since importing needed me to select the Item to paste too, but that pasting for importing in particular was not a bug).

I dont get why almost all Fullscreen Games somehow screw up the "Go back to Desktop for a bit" Functionality of the Meta-Key.

If more details such as "How my Computers are arranged" are needed please tell me, because KDE-Connect could be involved in this too, though I did not have the second Computer running while exporting Blueprint Books, so this is way unlikely.
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

wheybags
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [Wheybags] [linux] [0.18.10] Linux/Kubuntu the Copy Button is slightly broken with xclip

Post by wheybags »

Do you mean this xclip? https://linux.die.net/man/1/xclip
The way you're talking about it makes it sound like you might not, but that's the only xclip I can find.

Anyway, I just tried it on gnome on Ubuntu 20.04, and it works fine for me. I ran

Code: Select all

xclip -selection clipboard -o
to get the data that factorio had put in the copy/paste buffer. I did this twice in a row, with different blueprints without problem.

I'll move this to pending for now, as I suspect there is something different going on here that I'm not getting.

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Wheybags] [linux] [0.18.10] Linux/Kubuntu the Copy Button is slightly broken with xclip

Post by GregoriusT »

I might have confused xclip with the clipboard widget, because I do use xclip to read/write things from/into the copypaste history of the clipboard widget without actually influencing the selection of the copypaste buffer. (for script usage specifically, not actual human usage)

Sorry for being absent for that long. Anyways, technically speaking the ability to put books in books fixed my own use-case for this, since I can just bundle them all up.

Semi-Unrelated, but sadly still no "Paste" Button in the "Import String" prompt of the UI, even though there is a "Copy" Button for Exports. That is the only problem I have left with all of the copy/paste stuff. ;) (apart from lagging even lightweight text editors like Kate to death, when pasting them for backup)
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

Return to “Pending”