Cloning as massive UPS improvement (Factory-Streets)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Cloning as massive UPS improvement (Factory-Streets)

Post by ssilk »

Tekillaa wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:14 pm
My personnal main issue is still about those nuclear power plant, always making solar for saving performance...
Of course this idea works also with power plants... that was your idea, which made me come to this one.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Eketek
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Eketek »

I think a decent way to support this would be to allow simulation ticks to be processed per-surface, independly of other surfaces, and managed through the modding interface. ( think ScriptManagedSurface.tick() )

Optionally include the ability for mods to determine what gets updated during a tick (mainly so a Surface can be idled without also freezing Biters and Character). Optionally also include the ability to super-impose one surface onto another when rendering (terrain from a main surface with entities from another).

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Eketek wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:50 pm
I think a decent way to support this would be to allow simulation ticks to be processed per-surface, independly of other surfaces, and managed through the modding interface. ( think ScriptManagedSurface.tick() )

Optionally include the ability for mods to determine what gets updated during a tick (mainly so a Surface can be idled without also freezing Biters and Character). Optionally also include the ability to super-impose one surface onto another when rendering (terrain from a main surface with entities from another).

That's a terrific suggestion. For a splace exploration type mod, it makes perfect sense. At the very least - https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/Lua ... stics.html should be per surface.

If you add this as a suggested idea, I'll +1 it.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Eketek wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:50 pm

sounds like desync city

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

Are you suggesting that a tick on surface B might take longer than on surface A?

No, before we explore that road, I want to say, that I assume, that the whole game engine works on a per tick basis. So a tick is a tick. Each tick the engine does all its calculations for all the surfaces. Also if two surfaces are completely independent, still an update would be calculated for each of them each tick. So maybe you want to clarify what you mean by "independently of other surfaces".

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I would also like to know what problem this would solve.

Eketek
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Eketek »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:45 pm
I would also like to know what problem this would solve.
Basically the idea is that a *script would monitor the inputs and outputs of all child blocks, and it would run the parent block while all inputs have material available and all outputs have open space, and pause it at all other times. The parent block would act as if it has compressed input and free-flowing output at all times, and the updates to child blocks would simply be copied from the parent.

(*) Script-managed ticks are not absolutely required as part of this idea, but it seems to have other uses, and even if the idea finds its way in as a limited-purpose internal control, it would inevitably get triggered by mods and repurposed.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Eketek, you describe the OP idea. And you already said it: It works without different surface speeds. :)

To the general idea of scrip-managed ticks/different surface speeds: I cannot think to good usages around that. But the general architecture must be so, that one ore more surface(s) control the speed of another surface. And it should be possible to run that surface faster, than the controlling surface(s).

It’s then like in the book “simulacron-3”: you have a world and create another world inside of that world. Could be quite interesting. In the book the question at the end is, if we are also living in a simulation... 8-)

But generally speaking: that’s another topic! :) if you want to continue discussion, please create a new thread.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Done. I feel guilty, I haven’t had a chance to play Factorio (and that mod) since two or three weeks (too much work).

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”