[kovarex] [1.1.9] "Cannot reach" causes belt placement to place underground segment

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
DeHackEd
Inserter
Inserter

[kovarex] [1.1.9] "Cannot reach" causes belt placement to place underground segment

Post by DeHackEd »

Simple steps to reproduce:

1. Stand your character still and draw a belt line away from you. Keep going past your maximum reach distance so you get the "Cannot reach" message.

2. While holding your mouse past your reach point and still trying to place a belt line, walk towards your cursor a few steps and then stop. As expected no belts will be placed here

3. Move your mouse back towards your character.

Result: an underground belt segment is placed in the area that was in the "Cannot reach" zone. I feel this is not an appropriate scenario for use of underground belts.

Walking backwards and moving your mouse towards your character rapidly can cause other underground belts to be placed in more interesting ways, see screen shot. All belts here were placed using the new 1.1.9 feature.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (509.86 KiB) Viewed 4148 times

DeHackEd
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [1.1.9] "Cannot reach" causes belt placement to place underground segment

Post by DeHackEd »

Though the screen shot indicates mod use, I did just try with all mods disabled in a savegame that has never had mods enabled. Same effect.

bormand
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bormand »

A little note for better reproduction: don't walk too far on step 2, just 2-3 tiles are enough. Otherwise ordinary belts would be placed instead of underground ones.

P.S. Looks like obstacle avoidance logic kicks in and marks those unreachable tiles like an obstacle. And then it tries to jump under them with an underground.

DeHackEd
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DeHackEd »

The distance to walk is probably related to the type of belt used and its underground range. The game won't place underground belts if the pair can't reach each other. That's reasonable.

There is definitely something funny when you move your mouse rapidly back towards your character. It may or may not warrant a different bug report. I've not been able to reproduce anything when using actual obstacles so this may not be anything to worry about if "cannot reach" is the only reproducing scenario.

bormand
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bormand »

Yeah, I started with yellow belts, so it was really hard to reproduce. Blue belts are much easier.

P.S. As for real obstacles, it tries to put undergrounds around them as tight as possible, so usually there are no space to add unexpected undergrounds. Unless those obstacles contain a 1-tile hole. See my report: 94356

DeHackEd
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [kovarex] [1.1.9] "Cannot reach" causes belt placement to place underground segment

Post by DeHackEd »

So I was able to reproduce the weird multiple underground belts without the "cannot reach" behaviour. This is reported as a separate bug, though it seems to fall under the general umbrella that an obstacle can disappear while the player is placing belts.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex] [1.1.9] "Cannot reach" causes belt placement to place underground segment

Post by kovarex »

Thanks for the report, I completely forgot to solve this problem even when it was encountered while testing.
It will be solved in a way, that when dragging out of reach and moving, the game will always build the belts (one by one) as you close the distance, so not only the bug will be fixed, but just normal belt building should feel smoother.

Edit: Solved for 1.1.11 as 1.1.10 hotfix is already being built.

Nefrums
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nefrums »

This is not fixed in 1.1.11
At least not if you start dragging from a belt just outside of reach.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”