[1.1.6] Shotgun warping

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Grimshad
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.6] Shotgun warping

Post by Grimshad »

I noticed that this issue was still around and didn't see any other report for it.

I'm running 1.1.6 right now, but it's been around forever. In multiplayer shooting the shotgun with standard shells causes player warping. When I fire my player warps around, when another player fires I see them warp around and they warp around on their client.

Sorry if this is a dupe.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.1.6] Shotgun warping

Post by eradicator »

Sounds like the normal behavior of latency-hiding turning on/off when entering combat. Do you have a slow internet connection?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Grimshad
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Grimshad »

no i'm on a gig line, connected to my dedicated server on a gig line, but you're right. It happens with all weapons when attempting to move at the same time as shooting. The server seems to do an authoritative correction to your location causing warp.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Grimshad wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:31 pm
The server seems to do an authoritative correction to your location causing warp.
There is no such thing as an "authorative" server in factory. In combat (and cars) you simply see the game as it actually is including all the latency (which is never 0 in mp). Out-of-combat the latency-hiding mechanism shows you a game state that does not represent the actual game to make it feel smooth. Also factory has a rather high "minimum" lag in mp. A quick google finds at least one thread that suggests the minium latency is 7 ticks (116ms).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

Grimshad
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Grimshad »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:45 pm
Grimshad wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:31 pm
The server seems to do an authoritative correction to your location causing warp.
There is no such thing as an "authorative" server in factory. In combat (and cars) you simply see the game as it actually is including all the latency (which is never 0 in mp). Out-of-combat the latency-hiding mechanism shows you a game state that does not represent the actual game to make it feel smooth. Also factory has a rather high "minimum" lag in mp. A quick google finds at least one thread that suggests the minium latency is 7 ticks (116ms).
Sorry that's why I said "Seems". That's what the issue feels like. I know it's not that. Also, It happens when firing any weapon while moving. You fire while running forward then the character warps back to where you fired from once the firing action is complete. All weapons, including modded ones cause this. It's been here forever. I figured it would eventually get fixed. Now that I'm back playing after 1.0 It's still not fixed, but maybe firing a weapon is coding in some way that would be too much work to change.

blahfasel2000
Inserter
Inserter

Post by blahfasel2000 »

eradicator wrote:
There is no such thing as an "authorative" server in factory.
That's actually not quite right. The server is authoritative when it comes to player input ordering and timing. That's why latency hiding is necessary in the first place, and why you see rubberbanding when latency hiding switches off during combat.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

blahfasel2000 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:37 pm
eradicator wrote:
That's actually not quite right. The server is authoritative when it comes to player input ordering and timing. That's why latency hiding is necessary in the first place, and why you see rubberbanding when latency hiding switches off during combat.
And why you get desyncs.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

blahfasel2000 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:37 pm
eradicator wrote:
Yea, that was phrased badly. The @OP said "authoritative correction" and imho it's not a correction that the server does. As far as i know the client in latency-hiding state renders the game as though all local player input happens instantly. And when latency-hiding is turned off the real state of the game is shown where all input has to travel to the server first to be given a timestamp. But the server doesn't *correct* anything, it only sets the timestamp, and as far as i know when latency-hiding is off the client doesn't do any predictive rendering, so there's nothing to be corrected. And thus this is "Not a Bug" because the rubberbanding is just a side-effect of factorios network implmementation combined with the physical network reality where signals are not instant.

Grimshad
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Grimshad »

Glad we had this chat, back to my original point. After further testing, it seems while holding the spacebar (fire key) with pretty much another other weapon the player character slows down while firing. It's a smooth transition in and out of firing so the warping is not noticable. However, with the shotgun, since it does not have a constant rate of fire. It slows the character down and then instantly speeds the character back up again. Causing a warping effect as you continue to hold spacebar.

I'm sure this was accepted but not intended behavior. Either way it makes the shotgun a completely useless weapon because of this.

I've attached a gif, showing exactly what i'm talking about

edit: it wouldn't let me attach the gif so i attached an mp4
Attachments
final_5ffcd53ec51c2b007fbddc4f_83206.mp4
(9.13 MiB) Downloaded 109 times

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Huh. Bit difficult to see because you're not continuously walking in a straight line... but that looks like the "slow walking while shooting"-effect is also timing out between two shots. When i shoot+run with a normal shotgun in unmodded singleplayer this doesn't even happen if i un-research all shooting rate bonusses, so that should probably not be happening. And then in addition to that it's turning on/off lag hiding as expected. Does that mean that the combat shotgun is also not problematic for you?

Grimshad
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Grimshad »

Alright, I just recorded again in an unmodded game, with a lan server so there is no internet to contend with. Running in a straight line. I also tested the combat shotgun. it has the same issue.

I'm not saying this can or should be prioritized to be fixed as i'm sure no one really cares. I feel like i'm the only one who uses the shotgun, but it's definitely not the intended behavior :\

Also sorry about the large file size. I couldn't get them any smaller. I'm going to remove them from the post and link to downloadable copies so it doesn't cause issues loading the page.

https://ibb.co/F5QK6Rw
https://ibb.co/C8hfWSq

Images will be removed after 30 days. reach out if anyone is looking for this later.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Is that a real-time gif? Because when i compare that to a clock you're shooting once every 3 seconds even though the shotgun should have a fire-rate of 1/s. Not sure what that implies...

Grimshad
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Grimshad »

eradicator wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:36 pm
Is that a real-time gif? Because when i compare that to a clock you're shooting once every 3 seconds even though the shotgun should have a fire-rate of 1/s. Not sure what that implies...
It's real time. Everything works great until i fire a shotgun. It's kind of like the annoyance of gates not opening on time or warping behind them in mp, but based on when i fire instead of when i walk near something :P

Return to “Gameplay Help”