[1.0.0] Filtered inventory slots in Spidertron don't automatically fill

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[1.0.0] Filtered inventory slots in Spidertron don't automatically fill

Post by wobbycarly »

Describe the problem as best as you can

What did you do?
1. Have a Spidertron
2. Put some stuff in the trunk
3. Apply a filter to a slot for the stuff you put in (not the same slot)

What happened?
Nothing.

What did you expect to happen instead? It might be obvious to you, but do it anyway!
When slot filters are applied to one's own inventory, any matching items are automatically moved to that slot. Spidertron inventory should behave the same.

(Note: I don't have any other vehicle handy, so I can't confirm behaviour for cars/tanks)

Log and screenshots attached.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(21.08 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Spidertron inventory (modded).png
Spidertron inventory (modded).png (117.75 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
Spiderton inventory (normal).png
Spiderton inventory (normal).png (67.66 KiB) Viewed 3914 times

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] Filtered inventory slots in Spidertron don't automatically fill

Post by boskid »

I see where this confusion comes from...

Filtered slots in characters inventory are filled because of the inventory sorting. If you disable "Always keep player's main inventory sorted" then inside of the player's inventory those filtered slots will also not get automatically filled. Both pieces are really tightly coupled (inventory sorting and filtered slot filling). In theory i could make a separate method that only fills filtered slots while keeping rest of inventory in unchanged order. I am not considering current behavior to be a bug because spider's inventory is not being sorted (which would cause filtered slots to be filled). I am leaving this for other devs to decide if this should go into "not a bug", "ideas and suggestions" or get "fixed".

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I think, since we are adding the logistic requests, we should probably sort the inventory like the character,

For instance if you have 10 belt filters, but the belts are filling non-filtered slots, it can cause other item deliveries to fail

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Klonan wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:31 am
I think, since we are adding the logistic requests, we should probably sort the inventory like the character,

For instance if you have 10 belt filters, but the belts are filling non-filtered slots, it can cause other item deliveries to fail
I have not checked in 1.0, but at least in 1.1, transfers do try to fill filtered slots first, so logistic requests should not be a problem.
Therefore, I think this is feature request for inventory auto-sort for Spidertron and moving it to Ideas and suggestions.

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

posila wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:26 pm
Klonan wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:31 am

I have not checked in 1.0, but at least in 1.1, transfers do try to fill filtered slots first, so logistic requests should not be a problem.
Therefore, I think this is feature request for inventory auto-sort for Spidertron and moving it to Ideas and suggestions.
Yes, transfers work as expected. I didn't realise the "auto-filter" was a result of the auto-sort. Thanks for your attention to this.

Zombo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zombo »

I want to give this a big +1
I just built my first Spidertron and set up some logistics requests and partly filled its trunk by hand, to make it capable of building outposts for me.
I immediately noticed, that the inventory does not auto sort, and I really miss this QoL feature.

So please, consider this feature request for inventory auto-sort for Spidertron.

Thank you!

Ps.: I'm currently on 1.1.8

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

posila wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:26 pm
can it also occur for RollingStock as well? then all entities with filtered slots would work the same way with no "gotcha"s.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

In case anyone is interested, my mod Spidertron Enhancements includes automatic spidertron inventory sorting. (Link in signature). It has no UPS impact because it only sorts the inventories when you open them or manually place items in them.
Last edited by Xorimuth on Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Sorting isn't free; and until very recently was actually very expensive. It's still not free (and not cheap - but not expensive like it was). Sticking it on every cargo wagon seems unlikely; sticking it on spiders... maybe some day but I know of no plans to do it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

There’s also so little reason to put sorting on cargo wagons. 99.9% of the time a wagon has one type of material in it. The 0.1% is when you have a ‘building train’ in which case you probably specifically filter every slot exactly how you like, or you’ve switched to using spidertrons for that purpose anyway.

I would support sorting spidertron inventory though.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

boran_blok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by boran_blok »

I am replying to this topic instead of starting a new one. But I would also love for the spidertron inventory to get autosorted just like the players. Probably bound to the same or a different setting so players with 500 spidertrons can turn it off if it impacts their UPS too much.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

As for now Spidertron Enhancements (credit: Xorimuth) dose provide a modded workaround. Besides other things like pathfinding for spidertron.

Voske_123
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Voske_123 »

+1 on the spidertron tbf :) The cargo wagons are pretty easely to filter and dont need to change as often :)

kind regards
Voske_123

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

maybe only sort inventories that have a filter set?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Mods:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Spidertro ... ory-Sorter
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/manual-inventory-sort
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PickerInventoryTools

… or with an extra button?
Which is also a very old suggestion

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29675 Sorting button
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60950 Inventory Sort
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5772 Sorting key for any Inventory
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4276 Sorting Quickbutton / Overriding Autosort
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88 Sort inventory Key (by Kovarex personally, and one of the oldest threads I ever linked :D )

PS: Eventually some of the forum links will be merged together afterwards, so don’t wonder if topic doesn’t exist anymore.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”