Topics and discussion about specific mods
Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant

Post by Veden »

ptx0 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 pm
adding this to map caused immediate desync. out of curiosity, what is causing so many of these problems?
I like to think that if I knew the answer to that question, I would have fixed it.

Poruft
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Poruft »

I'm interested in playing with friends with variable amounts of play time, each with their own force and enemy biter force. Is there any way to make this mod work on a per biter force basis? Right now, things seem pretty global (one AI object with constants) and coded to the game.forces.enemy force. I'm looking for compatibility with something like https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CloseInde ... ultiplayer.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

Poruft wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:10 pm
I'm interested in playing with friends with variable amounts of play time, each with their own force and enemy biter force. Is there any way to make this mod work on a per biter force basis? Right now, things seem pretty global (one AI object with constants) and coded to the game.forces.enemy force. I'm looking for compatibility with something like https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CloseInde ... ultiplayer.
At this time, this is outside what is easily doable.

lordfool
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lordfool »

Hello, to preface this I'm a noob that's starting to be interesting in factorio modding. I've been having a few desyncs with a few players on multiplayer that seems to be proportional to the amount of players and biters. There seems to be quite a bit of floating point mult and rounding. Are there possibly floating point inconsistencies falling down into the mod? Floating point numbers behave differently on different processors is what I was told.
Edit
If it was perhaps the rounding that is causing some desync issues; is my thinking correct if getting rid of rounding floating points to nearest integer or changing all the floating point numbers to ints, or reducing the number of those calculations by orders of magnitude to cut the odds of hitting the floating point issues(most of the time it works just fine) would be a fix? Prehaps finding a pure lua implementation of these functions?
Seems like mathutils is the heart of the problem by calling the standard math round function? math.sqrt, math.log10, the custom rounding methods, and the custom gaussian random distribution generator look relevant.
Last edited by lordfool on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:38 am, edited 7 times in total.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Code: Select all

~=
means not equal to

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

lordfool
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lordfool »

steinio wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:21 am

~=
means not equal to
Ah my bad I misunderstood that, this is quite interesting stuff. Is rounding of the floating points perhaps a concern?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I've been looking into adding support for new biters option in Rampant to RSO and playing around with it in vanilla.
It seems for me that specialized enemy bases are very rare - game generates big enemy bases built from natural-biter/spitter bases. Is that how it should work and specialized bases are created in some other way?

freeafrica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by freeafrica »

I've got a semi-huge biter swarm stuck next to my base, they don't react on much, except if you walk real close to them. I think they should be attacking or swarming somewhere else.

Mods:
base 1.0.0
rampant 0.18.17
NoHandCrafting 1.0.11
Screenshot
Game save:
rdw - 0.40 constr robo.zip
(5.75 MiB) Downloaded 143 times

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

orzelek wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:59 am
I've been looking into adding support for new biters option in Rampant to RSO and playing around with it in vanilla.
It seems for me that specialized enemy bases are very rare - game generates big enemy bases built from natural-biter/spitter bases. Is that how it should work and specialized bases are created in some other way?
With Rampant new enemies enabled, vanilla unit-spawners are programmatically replaced after a chunk is generated + some small delay to allow other mods to make changes, RSO is the main reason for the delay.
Rampant factions are themed biters that have specific strengths and weakness which uses a region system to make the enemies reasonably uniform in the region.
As distance is increased or evolution increases new types will be generated. As you are playing a region type can change up to two types at any one time. In practice regions can contain many types overtime because the region type will change faster than all the biter bases contained within.

let me know if that answer your question.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

freeafrica wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:20 pm
I've got a semi-huge biter swarm stuck next to my base, they don't react on much, except if you walk real close to them. I think they should be attacking or swarming somewhere else.

Mods:
base 1.0.0
rampant 0.18.17
NoHandCrafting 1.0.11
Screenshot
Game save: rdw - 0.40 constr robo.zip
Seems to be a bug.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Veden wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:46 pm
orzelek wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:59 am
With Rampant new enemies enabled, vanilla unit-spawners are programmatically replaced after a chunk is generated + some small delay to allow other mods to make changes, RSO is the main reason for the delay.
Rampant factions are themed biters that have specific strengths and weakness which uses a region system to make the enemies reasonably uniform in the region.
As distance is increased or evolution increases new types will be generated. As you are playing a region type can change up to two types at any one time. In practice regions can contain many types overtime because the region type will change faster than all the biter bases contained within.

let me know if that answer your question.
It does. I figured it out after a bit of testing. It took some time because if you generated 5k by 5k region it takes some for Rampant to change the enemies.
I was thinking that RSO could spawn bases thematically but it doesn't seem to be needed.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

What is the recommended max level for new enemies?
Did anyone try to play with it on 10 and survived to tell the tale?
If I understand correctly at that level all mobs would have 30k hp plus some resistances on top of that?

freeafrica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by freeafrica »

Veden wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:08 pm
freeafrica wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Mods:
base 1.0.0
rampant 0.18.17
NoHandCrafting 1.0.11
Screenshot
Game save: rdw - 0.40 constr robo.zip
Seems to be a bug.
If you point me to a file in the `rampant` repository and give a few tips how one would test/debug such a problem I could give a try fixing this issue.

BlackViperMWG
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BlackViperMWG »

So I used console command to kill all enemies, because I was getting too overwhelmed with Rampant, but it has been two hours and they are still nowhere, even when my factory is giving off good pollution cloud.. They should eventually respawn, right? Wiki says that command kills them only in explored areas.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

BlackViperMWG wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:55 am
So I used console command to kill all enemies, because I was getting too overwhelmed with Rampant, but it has been two hours and they are still nowhere, even when my factory is giving off good pollution cloud.. They should eventually respawn, right? Wiki says that command kills them only in explored areas.
If you actually used the command you linked instead of ...kill_all_units() then you destroyed everything of the enemy in existence, so unless you explore new enemy bases nothing is going to respawn.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

freeafrica wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:49 am
If you point me to a file in the `rampant` repository and give a few tips how one would test/debug such a problem I could give a try fixing this issue.
this should be fixed in 1.1.8

BlackViperMWG
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BlackViperMWG »

Loewchen wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:51 am
If you actually used the command you linked instead of ...kill_all_units() then you destroyed everything of the enemy in existence, so unless you explore new enemy bases nothing is going to respawn.
Well I didn't want to kill all units, but everything in my explored area. Wiki says "This will kill all biters, bases and worms. Anything that is an enemy will be completely destroyed. This only affects enemies in the explored world, so any unexplored parts of the map which still need to be generated will still have enemies. You can prevent biters being on newly generated chunks if desired. "

But after cca hour they've started attacking again, so I guess they were just too far

freeafrica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by freeafrica »

ptx0 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:12 pm
freeafrica wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:49 am
this should be fixed in 1.1.8
Ty for the update. I've tried out the new version, currently some pathing issue seems to be present. I've added a screenshot, the highlighted biters are stuck on that ledge, just trying to move against it. Lemme know if I can help somehow:
Screenshot of clumped up biters

It was made on a newly generated word, with the following mods, w/ mostly default settings:

ArmouredBiters 1.1.0
Darknight_fix 1.0.0
NoHandCrafting 1.0.12
Rampant 1.0.1
base 1.1.8
bobenemies 1.1.1

rince91
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rince91 »

Hey,

I've only just started using this mod in the last couple of weeks and it is fantastic!

However, i am getting large UPS drops. Disabling this mod removes the drops all together.

Does anyone have any tips on how to tune the mod settings for better performance.

Im not running a budget PC either. i7-7700k, GTX 2080, 32Gb RAM.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

rince91 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:02 am
Hey,

I've only just started using this mod in the last couple of weeks and it is fantastic!

However, i am getting large UPS drops. Disabling this mod removes the drops all together.

Does anyone have any tips on how to tune the mod settings for better performance.

Im not running a budget PC either. i7-7700k, GTX 2080, 32Gb RAM.
have fewer enemies, really.

kill them more quickly - use fewer variants that emit things like poison clouds, etc.

Return to “Mods”