[1.1.8] upgrading to 1.1.8 switched save, mods folder to the %appdata%

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[1.1.8] upgrading to 1.1.8 switched save, mods folder to the %appdata%

Post by Dune »

So, I upgraded to 1.1.8 via steam (from 1.1.6) and it changed my save/mods folder from the install folder to the %appsdata%/factorio folder.

I tried downgrading back to 1.1.6, or downloading a zip of 1.1.6 thinking it might be a 1.1.8 issue, but it is still trying to load from the appsdata folder, which hasn't had saves since v0.15.40.

This seems to be a registry setting, since it is the same no matter which version of 1.1 I use. Anyway to change this back?

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.8] upgrading to 1.1.8 switched save, mods folder to the %appdata%

Post by boskid »

There were no changes related to folders in between of 1.1.6 and 1.1.8 so i am not considering this a Bug report. Moving to Technical help.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

I re-unzipped 1.1.6 into a separate folder, and careful which files I copied over...

Just went with blueprints, saves and scenarios (need it since I'm using a redmew.com's scenario) folders, it worked as it had before. But then copying the other files, player-data and config.ini, it is still working. I can't figure out what is different.

The file config-path says it is ignored once the config folder is generated.

Anyway, I guess with this I'll try uninstalling the steam version completely, then re-installing and hope to go from there.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

Clean install, nothing moved over.

Changed only config-path.cfg to have "use-system-read-write-data-directories=false", but it just ignores this and still uses the appdata folder.

It may seem trivial, but I like to have different versions of the game available. If they all point to the same saves & mods folders, then I can't keep versions separate. The steam version tracks my hours played and achievements. I'm a streamer and I always get the question, "How many hours have you played factorio?"

Any suggestions to get steam to use the local install folder for write data?

NM, figured it out. I changed the %appdata%/factorio/config/config.ini file to point have the lines

read-data=__PATH__executable__\..\..\data
write-data=__PATH__executable__\..\..

Instead of

read-data=__PATH__system-read-data__
write-data=__PATH__system-write-data__

Seems factorio reads the appdata config file first before reading the one in the install folder. During my upgrade, somehow that got switched?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The game reads the config-path file located at: exe-path\..\..\config-path.cfg

If that exist otherwise it will start looking in %appdata%.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

@Reseding91, it actually worked the opposite in the above case. That's why I first reported as a bug, and it got moved to troubleshoot.

In my case it checks appdata/factorio/config/config.ini before the install folder/config/config.ini

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Dune wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:27 am
@Reseding91, it actually worked the opposite in the above case. That's why I first reported as a bug, and it got moved to troubleshoot.

In my case it checks appdata/factorio/config/config.ini before the install folder/config/config.ini
config.ini and config-path.ini are two different files. config-path.ini tells the game where to look for config.ini.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

Okay, but whichever I mentioned, I did mean the one in ./appdata/factorio/config/ was being checked first, and then once it saw that the flags were set for the exe directory and not the system directory did it then use the local files to the exe.

Return to “Technical Help”