[1.1.6] Error on mac "factorio.app can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software"

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Baalik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.6] Error on mac "factorio.app can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software"

Post by Baalik »

When trying to run factorio on Mac Pro 2019 with macOS 11.1. (Big Sur), I'm getting error: "“factorio.app” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.". I cannot bypass the Apple Gatekeeper check in settings as the laptop is also used for work and is required to be on at all times.
It seems this was already solved here: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=62112&p=376133&hil ... us#p376133, but still happens for me.
Thanks for any solution.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 16.31.06.png
Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 16.31.06.png (97.93 KiB) Viewed 2500 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.6] Error on mac "factorio.app can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software"

Post by posila »

Hello,
I am sorry you have trouble running Factorio on macOS. However version 1.1.6, both standalone and steam builds, are notarized, which means Apple has already checked it for malicious software. I have no idea why your mac claims otherwise. Is it connected to the internet when you try to run the game?

Baalik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.1.6] Error on mac "factorio.app can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software"

Post by Baalik »

Hi, thanks for your reply. It is indeed connected and I can download and play other games through Steam. The problem occurs with both standalone and Steam version (although Steam one behaves a bit different - it seems to be unable to finish downloading - stuck at 99%). I've tried clear the downloads in Steam, reinstall it, change the Steam download servers, and obviously restarted the whole system. No luck so far.

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

Are you sure you downloaded it from factorio.com? Because it is most definitely notarized on my Mac (wouldn't run otherwise). Open the info box on the .dmg, and check the "More Info" tab.

Baalik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Baalik »

Yes I did download it from this site.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-02 at 9.12.49.png
Screenshot 2021-01-02 at 9.12.49.png (121.74 KiB) Viewed 2364 times

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Have you tried right click -> open. It somewhat bypasses security checks like this over double click.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

refaid
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by refaid »

Xorimuth wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:53 pm
Have you tried right click -> open. It somewhat bypasses security checks like this over double click.
i have tried this but still get the error.
Currently writing in ukuran a4

Vito92
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Vito92 »

Hi

I know this is a long time off topic, but I found a solution!

You were probably trying to run the game from an application on a virtual drive - I had the same error trying that way
Move Factorio (from the virtual drive) to your desktop and try to play from there - the game loads faster and without any errors

Have a nice game!

Return to “Technical Help”