Implement Super Ultrawide support?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Implement Super Ultrawide support?

Post by cpy »

Any chance factorio will support super ultra wide monitors?
Problems vertical zoom is limited, you can't see much up or down when you play on 32:9, interface parts like maps and everything is way out of sight in corners. Interface should be 16:9 and rest should be just visible game.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Implement Super Ultrawide support?

Post by DaveMcW »

I suspect the developers don't have super ultrawide monitors, so you would have better luck communicating with screenshots.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

I suspect most don’t have ultra wide monitors, personally. That’s not to say they shouldn’t look at them for their customer base who does; only that it may not be a very high priority for them.

ondrii
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ondrii »

DaveMcW wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:49 pm
I suspect the developers don't have super ultrawide monitors, so you would have better luck communicating with screenshots.
It is easy to simulate ultra wide monitor - just change window size. On standard 4k 16:9 (3840x2160) monitor should be easy to simulate 32:9 with 3840x1080. Just use half of screen size ;)

BTW I have 21:9 and it is perfect to play factorio.

Maybe try to change window size to some similar resolution and left some space on both sides?

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Yeah, buy SUW monitor and don't use best feature... comment logic 10/10.

I mean can we at least get option to move UI around or something? Maybe lock it into hard 16:9 mode or something?
I also have Acer Z35P 3440 x 1440 and that is just UW and it's completely different to 32:9 i mean it's a bit wider than normal 16:9. If wide wasn't cool we'd be still at 4:3.

Monitors that have same aspect ratio as human vision are best you can have and it really shows.

Easiest fix suggested to devs:
Can you at least not limit zoom level so much on 32:9 aspect ratio monitor?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

cpy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:36 am
If wide wasn't cool we'd be still at 4:3.
Actually we're at 16:9 because cinema filmmakers used 2.35:1 while tvmakers used 4:3, and 16:9 was a good compromise. And when LCD got to monitors, they were contaminated for economic reasons (cheaper for manufacturers).

That being said, what is the player base using those uncommon ratios ? what about people using 3 wide screens side to side as a bit virtual screen that's 48:9 ? Where should the devs stop adapting to ever smaller audiences ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

You don't adapt to anyone! Just look at Ubisoft (at least in Division 2), they are BEST god damn UI designers in the world. Their UI is always at 16:9 and your screenspace can be whatever the hell you want.

Simple as that, have your UI obey 16:9 rule and you don't have to worry about any display trend ever. Unless we get to some triangle screen or some other madness like stupid notch in a screen.

ondrii
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ondrii »

cpy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:36 am
Yeah, buy SUW monitor and don't use best feature... comment logic 10/10.
Oh man, do you know we are in 1-2% population that uses wider monitors than 16:9? The most of the world does not care about us :D

I don't know why you bought 32:9 monitor but me for work. I prefer to keep as much as I need to do my job efficiently without using multiple monitors.
Sorry if you bought it for games and not all games are designed to use everything that you have.

I agree that it would be nice but I am aware that they have more important things to do. Things that will make happy majority of the players, not just 1-2% :)

Cheers

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

If devs weren't so stubborn up they would design interface in 16:9 fixed ratio. But noooo fixed corners... Universal solution is too hard let's do absolute corner locations.

There better?
Last edited by cpy on Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

cpy wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:05 pm
If devs weren't so stuck up they would design interface in 16:9 fixed ratio. But noooo fixed corners... Universal solution is too hard let's do absolute corner locations.
What is wrong with you?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

cpy wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:05 pm
If devs weren't so stuck up they would design interface in 16:9 fixed ratio. But noooo fixed corners... Universal solution is too hard let's do absolute corner locations.
If you weren't so stuck up with the bizarre screen ratio you chose, you'd have something more common, and none of this would have happened. But noooooo 16:9 is too mainstream, let's go for for something that's just twice wider, what could go wrong ?

Now you can see that nobody's going anywhere like this. If you want to have the slightest chance to get what you want, the way to maximise the odds in your favour is not by implying the devs owe you support of uncommon screen ratios, but making a suggestion in the Ideas and suggestions subforum, maybe giving some examples of the right way to tackle the issue in your opinion (the Ubisoft example you gave earlier here might be a good start), and not taking it for granted anyway, because neither of us knows how much work this would take for the UI to be adapted to take less than 100% of the screen width.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

I tried playing Factorio over two FHD monitors side-by-side (my usual setup), that's like 32:9 aspect ratio. Would really welcome some UX changes for both ultrawide and multi-monitor. Possibly using sides of the screen space for things like production graphs and map - would really add the ultimate command center vibe to the interface :)

Mskvaer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mskvaer »

I have a widescreen, too. This is great for my private hobby/work, having 3-5 windows open with graphic/circuits/listings without a distracting artificial divide in the middle by a two screen solution is great. Incidentally, the wide screen is exactly two "ordinary" screens in pixels.

Factorio works well in full screen, like other games (I dont know how much a game has to be specially coded for resolutions, or the driver abstracts all). BUT - for me they are hard to play in widescreen; it is a long way to move the mouse between a menu on the left to something on the right, and back to the action in the middle. Putting some "display only" info on the edges though is great.

My suggestion/observation on "supporting widescreen":

1: Allow GUI panels to store their position after they have been moved, and not always start smack in the middle. In general all attributes (position, size, tab or scale setting in the GUI) should be saved.
1+: And that goes in particular for the hot/quickbar at the bottom. I am using plenty of shortcuts with the bar, so having all rows visible at one side would be "+1"

1b: And... leaving a GUI open (like the electric usage). That might be hard to implement but this is just a wish-list. (NB: always visible GUI panels appear under newly opened)

I can see there might a problem on how to reset locked settings, if a GUI appears offscreen, f.ex. due to moving a game between machines or changing screen. That could be handled by a reset button in the graphics setting.

2: What is with the zoom limit? With my full screen the max zoom (as shown in the debug info) it is ~0.5, and if I play in a tiny 1280x800 window it is ~0.25, ie double the zoom out. Is this a limitation of my system(graphics) or by design? It seems I have a greater zoom range on a smaller screen, but carefull checking of what is visble on far left and right is the same. but the vertical distance is halved. This seems "fair", game design wise (viewtopic.php?p=386517#p386517) so I suspects it is by design.

OK, the last point was more an observation. It is fair but irritating, and I play Factorio in a window that is more of the 4:3 aspect. This leaves space for other windows (Mail, chat...)

Enough of this, I have to get back to the game, I am nearly done with the "lazy bastard" acheivement (104 objects handcrafted)
+---+
| M | (now 2000+ hours)
+---+

Return to “General discussion”