Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by orzelek »

You can add:

Code: Select all

script.on_event(defines.events.on_tick, null)
at the end of on_tick to make it unregister itself. It should have 0 performance impact after that.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

orzelek wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:03 pm
You can add:

Code: Select all

script.on_event(defines.events.on_tick, null)
at the end of on_tick to make it unregister itself. It should have 0 performance impact after that.
Instant desync magic :p. (Ye i know, for a one-time permission override in singleplayer that doesn't matter.)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Vector6
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vector6 »

How do I get the rocket launcher to target ground? I'm just now getting around to trying it out in 1.0(I've been trying - and failing - to get There is no Spoon, so I haven't researched it since it's off the direct path) and noticed that now I both have to pick a target and get close to it before it'll fire - which means getting close enough to the nests that the biters launch and attack before I can pull the trigger, which results in far, far more deaths than being able to pick a direction and fire off an atom bomb. I've tried pressing 'C', but it still won't fire without a target.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Vector6 wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:19 am
How do I get the rocket launcher to target ground? I'm just now getting around to trying it out in 1.0(I've been trying - and failing - to get There is no Spoon, so I haven't researched it since it's off the direct path) and noticed that now I both have to pick a target and get close to it before it'll fire - which means getting close enough to the nests that the biters launch and attack before I can pull the trigger, which results in far, far more deaths than being able to pick a direction and fire off an atom bomb. I've tried pressing 'C', but it still won't fire without a target.
with a nuke, you shouldn't need a target. just press space
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

The target range of the nuke for “shoot target” is somewhat greater than spitter range. I usually stand at long range and search for a target while inching toward the enemy. Eventually you’ll see the targeting reticle.

Vector6
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vector6 »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:25 am
Vector6 wrote:
with a nuke, you shouldn't need a target. just press space
This has always been my experience, but it seems to have changed at some point. If it seems like it matters, this is a save I started under 0.17 - I haven't built a new factory from scratch on 1.0 that got to nukes.

Guenni7
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Guenni7 »

I don't think that it has changed.
SPACE shoots to the nearest enemy unit, C shoots to mouse pointer if there's something like a unit, structure or tree, ground or water was never targetable IMHO.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Guenni7 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:34 am
I don't think that it has changed.
SPACE shoots to the nearest enemy unit, C shoots to mouse pointer if there's something like a unit, structure or tree, ground or water was never targetable IMHO.
this doesn't apply when using atomic bombs
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Vector6 wrote:
How do I get the rocket launcher to target ground? I've tried pressing 'C', but it still won't fire without a target.
AmericanPatriot wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:58 pm
Guenni7 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:34 am
this doesn't apply when using atomic bombs
I think using regular rocket you have one behavior and using explosive rocket with area of effect same as nuke, you get a different behavior.

There would be little to no effect shooting on ground with regular rocket. It act like a rifle or pistol.

BicycleEater
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BicycleEater »

All ammunition in Factorio has a setting 'target_type', which is normally set to 'entity' making the weapon target entities, like the machine gun, or the normal rockets do.
Some have 'direction', such as the cannon shell, which goes in a given direction up to its maximum range.
Some have 'position' which means they attempt to fire at the mouse. This is the case for the atomic bomb, and is why it can be fired at the ground.

TL;DR:
The atomic rocket fires at the mouse, rather than auto-targetting enemies like other weapons do.
This means that it can easily be fired with the space key.

Qemics
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Qemics »

Is there an option to change item colors eg. Automation Science pack or Inserters?

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Qemics wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:01 pm
Is there an option to change item colors eg. Automation Science pack or Inserters?
Not in game:
There is an option to support various types of color-blindness under graphics settings.
The player character, trains, spidertrons can be custom-colored in game.
Mods can change colors for pretty much everything else...
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Vector6
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vector6 »

For posterity, I've figured out my rocket problem: I seem to somehow be playing at a greater zoom than I was before, making the nuke's range well before the end of the screen(at least horizontally).

GoRingo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by GoRingo »

Hi, since 1.1.11 I cannot place ghost from map using Q and shift-left click. Its just me?

LancelotSwe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by LancelotSwe »

https://imgur.com/KZX2ypz

Am I reading this right? Do I need 9 rocket silos to achieve 3000spm? I have the right amount of resources created (I think) but I feel that I can't sustain 9 silos.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

LancelotSwe wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:28 pm

Am I reading this right? Do I need 9 rocket silos to achieve 3000spm? I have the right amount of resources created (I think) but I feel that I can't sustain 9 silos.
You are reading this right; with 4 prod 3's and only four speed 3 modules (i.e. two beacons) affecting each silo, yes, you need 9.8 silos (so 10 really, just you can afford a little bit of downtime). If this seems like a lot, remember that it takes over 40 seconds for the rocket launch animation to happen, during which it's not producing rocket parts, so to launch three rockets a minute you need either a lot of silos or a lot of speed beacons :)

LancelotSwe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by LancelotSwe »

torne wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:44 pm
LancelotSwe wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:28 pm

You are reading this right; with 4 prod 3's and only four speed 3 modules (i.e. two beacons) affecting each silo, yes, you need 9.8 silos (so 10 really, just you can afford a little bit of downtime). If this seems like a lot, remember that it takes over 40 seconds for the rocket launch animation to happen, during which it's not producing rocket parts, so to launch three rockets a minute you need either a lot of silos or a lot of speed beacons :)
But can 35 units/s of LDS, Rocket Control Units and rocket fuel sustain 9 silos.
Or maybe I have to few beacons, I have 10 beacons around every silo, that 20 speed mods right. So now I'm down to 4, I think.
My first megabase =D

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

LancelotSwe wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:45 pm
But can 35 units/s of LDS, Rocket Control Units and rocket fuel sustain 9 silos.
Yes; the calculator is correct. To break it down a bit:

- Target is 50 space science per second. You get 1000 space science from launching each rocket, and each rocket requires 100 rocket parts. So, you need to build 5 rocket parts per second in total across all the silos.
- Each rocket part takes 10 LDS, 10 RCU, 10 rocket fuel, so that would be 50/s of each, except that with four productivity 3 modules in the silo you are getting 40% extra rocket parts for free, so the actual input required is only 50 / 1.4 = 35.714 per second.

The number of silos isn't involved in the calculation of the resources required; the silos just need to be fast enough to *consume* those resources.
Or maybe I have to few beacons, I have 10 beacons around every silo, that 20 speed mods right. So now I'm down to 4, I think.
My first megabase =D
"Too few" beacons doesn't really mean much here - it's just a tradeoff between number of silos and number of beacons per silo. With 10 beacons on each silo you need 4.1 silos as the calculator says; to use only 4 you would need 11 beacons (22 speed 3) per silo. Or you can build 5 silos with 7 beacons each. You can't get it down to 3 silos (in vanilla), because the maximum number of beacons you can fit around a silo is 20 and that's still not quite fast enough to launch a rocket per minute in each silo.

Latakia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Latakia »

Spidertron: Do the exoskeleton speed bonus stack? Are there any diminishing returns?

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

Latakia wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:57 pm
Spidertron: Do the exoskeleton speed bonus stack? Are there any diminishing returns?
The bonuses add. The fact that they add instead of multiplying is an implicit diminishing return.

Return to “Gameplay Help”