Redo functionality

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Redo functionality

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

+1

I’ve found myself pressing control z once too many times and not having any idea what I just did, only to find a missing belt a few hours later.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Redo doesn’t help you with that problem. Helpful for this is something, which shows you what you have undone (and what might be next).
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

ssilk wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:52 am
Redo doesn’t help you with that problem. Helpful for this is something, which shows you what you have undone (and what might be next).
Yeah it does, because you can just hit *redo* until you get back to where you were expecting.

A redo stack would be superb and I've wanted it plenty of times.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

How is this not a thing yet?
+1
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

foamy wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:18 am
ssilk wrote:
Yeah it does, because you can just hit *redo* until you get back to where you were expecting.
See viewtopic.php?p=529435#p529435 the last paragraph
The problem with Factorio is, that this could lead to a point where I destruct an important outpost and that will be overrun, because the robots begun to remove the lasers, before I could press redo. This is different to most other applications.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:22 am
foamy wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:18 am
ssilk wrote:
See viewtopic.php?p=529435#p529435 the last paragraph
The problem with Factorio is, that this could lead to a point where I destruct an important outpost and that will be overrun, because the robots begun to remove the lasers, before I could press redo. This is different to most other applications.
That's a different topic on the same subject and you didn't quote it; how the heck was anyone supposed to know that's what you were replying to? I thought you were responding to AmericanPatriot:
AmericanPatriot wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:52 am
+1

I’ve found myself pressing control z once too many times and not having any idea what I just did, only to find a missing belt a few hours later.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

foamy wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:05 pm
That's a different topic on the same subject and you didn't quote it; how the heck was anyone supposed to know that's what you were replying to?
Not sure what you mean.
It is not the same subject, otherwise it had been joined together. But they are quite similar. I clearly quoted SoShootMe.
I thought you were responding to AmericanPatriot:
AmericanPatriot wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:52 am
I used the better explanation for repetition.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:50 am
foamy wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:05 pm
That's a different topic on the same subject and you didn't quote it; how the heck was anyone supposed to know that's what you were replying to?
Not sure what you mean.
It is not the same subject, otherwise it had been joined together. But they are quite similar. I clearly quoted SoShootMe.
SoShootMe hasn't made a single post in this thread. You apparently tried to reply to SoShootMe, in this thread, which is not the one they posted in, without quoting them until after I'd responded to you. I dunno why you expected it to be anything but confusing for anyone else.

And, for the record, a rapid redo feature *does* at least help address with problem of accidentally undoing some outpost fort you made elsewhere, since you could just immediately hit redo if you over-undid, leaving the window of opportunity for things to go sideways at about two seconds instead of anywhere from two hours to forever.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

foamy wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:19 am
You apparently tried to reply to SoShootMe, in this thread,
Ah, no, i didn’t reply, I quoted myself from another post (I already replied) and even linked from where it was taken. :)
And, for the record, a rapid redo feature *does* at least help address with problem of accidentally undoing some outpost fort you made elsewhere, since you could just immediately hit redo if you over-undid, leaving the window of opportunity for things to go sideways at about two seconds instead of anywhere from two hours to forever.
Well, yes, if you are fast enough: no problem.

But it is not always obvious, that you undid too much. I tend to do a lot of changes at one area and then changing to another place. There I do a lot of very small changes and when I undo it I cannot be sure, that I did all. So currently I need to look: was this a change made in the current area or was it in the former? And this look takes some seconds.

Or so: The ugliest situation for me as player is when I hit undo and nothing happens. Was it just outside of my screen, did I overlook it, because the change was so small, did I hit the key correctly or did it undo nothing?

If the game showed me, what will be undone next/what has just been undone, I could see that immediately.

Perhaps “player feedback” is the right word.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:18 am

Or so: The ugliest situation for me as player is when I hit undo and nothing happens. Was it just outside of my screen, did I overlook it, because the change was so small, did I hit the key correctly or did it undo nothing?
See, that's just the scenario a redo button would help: You hit it and see if what you were trying to *undo* comes back. If it does, you know where you are in the undo stack; if it doesn't, you've fixed an unintentional undo somewhere else. Then you can hit redo again, to see if *that* does it.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

foamy wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:04 am
ssilk wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:18 am

See, that's just the scenario a redo button would help: You hit it and see if what you were trying to *undo* comes back. If it does, you know where you are in the undo stack; if it doesn't, you've fixed an unintentional undo somewhere else. Then you can hit redo again, to see if *that* does it.
I don’t know, if either the undo or the redo really works, if I have no feedback, what has happened. And where.

It doesn’t matter how that feedback works or is presented to the player, if it is shown before I hit undo/redo or after, if it jumps to the place to show me, where that is, and so on.

iTob
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by iTob »

+1

Is this feature (or something else to resolve the problem of accidentally undoing something and not knowing what) on the roadmap?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Not yet.

I wish, but to be objective: It has not a really good gameplay-value and is much less used than raw undo.
And I think this is more complicated to implement, as we might think, because the states of this redo can happen at each stage of undo and internally it's then a complex tree instead of a simple queue. As I know the devs this will appear just sometimes.

iTob
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by iTob »

ssilk wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:19 pm
because the states of this redo can happen at each stage of undo and internally it's then a complex tree instead of a simple queue.
I don't see a need for such complicated logic. I'd implement this similar to most undo/redo implementations I know: As soon as you change something, the redo queue is cleared. And I guess the conflict resolution logic that is used for undo could be reused for redo. Anyway, this isn't the only possible resolution for the underlying problem. Focusing the camera on the area where the undo happened would also help a lot^^

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, I didn’t explain it deep enough. I thought you will find it yourself after that hint.
It’s complicated, because other players can also undo/redo.

So let’s say two players. Both are building a big power plant. Player A undoes (is that a verb?) something. Player B puts something at the same location A has undone. Now A redoes it. What should happen? Just deny to “overwrite” it seems a bit too simple for me...

Now think that for more players and with blueprints and with many levels of undo/redo. It gets really confusing. :)

iTob
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by iTob »

ssilk wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:58 am
So let’s say two players. Both are building a big power plant. Player A undoes (is that a verb?) something. Player B puts something at the same location A has undone. Now A redoes it. What should happen? Just deny to “overwrite” it seems a bit too simple for me...
I'm pretty sure that there is already a solution to this problem because the same can happen with undo alone (A removes a building, B places something else there, A undoes (that sounds very strange indeed xD) the removal). That's what I meant by "conflict resolution logic" in my previous post.

Anyway, I don't think its worth discussing this further because we can both just speculate here. So let's just hope this gets resolved soon(ish) either by focusing the camera on the undo-location or by introducing redo^^

CaptainAwesome
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CaptainAwesome »

This would be a great feature!

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

[ick] Merged three threads with the same idea.
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:14 am
Oh, you are moderating? :D

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

jodokus31 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:24 am
ickputzdirwech wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:14 am
Oh, you are moderating? :D
Yeah, really exciting 8-) ;)

Return to “Implemented in 2.0”