Are griefers/trolling common?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
dpzOnline
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Are griefers/trolling common?

Post by dpzOnline »

I have not played factorio for a while and began a new online world today... Ca 20 min into the game a dude called "CALLME" enterd the game killed me and broke the powerline and left...

When I played earlier the climat was fun and positive
Is this something common now?

Is there a system to report players that does stuff like this..

I do not thing a total ban is in place but maby one could have a trustmeter from 0 to 5
And for every player reporting your score goes down, then a setting on your server that you only take in people with trustscore e.g. 3.5

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Are griefers/trolling common?

Post by Squelch »

Any game that becomes popular and has an online presence will attract people like that. I believe Wube have left it to the admins of any online instance to police the problem. If it is your own instance, then you have the option to ban player via the admin interface. Otherwise report it to the admins of the instance you are playing.

Sadly, and in my experience, anything developers do to mitigate bad actors on a global scale simply becomes an arms race as the griefers see it is a challenge, will find a way to stretch and break the rules, and everyone becomes distracted with the fine details and not actually playing.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

Can't say for sure but:

1) I had seen servers having permissions systems so that you can only use ie. blueprints after getting approved and you can't really do *too* much damage without them. That suggests that they are out there or at least there is fear of them.

2) I had never personally met a griefer and had seen very few griefer reports. Haven't played too much recently though.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Rather than worrying about trolls, might be more profitable to collect a list of folks who are pleasant. Use twitter or something to keep each other notified of games.

The few times I play multiplayer, have to say it's been quite enjoyable tho. Some randos acting weird (building trainsets even though we are trying to launch a rocket) but nothing too trollish.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

dpzOnline
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dpzOnline »

Thank you for answering

I do not get to upset, and if its not to common then I can live with it.
My games are all about just building interesting ideas.

Happy building everyone!

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

I would not say so. There is maybe one griefer per couple days of continuous of play on a bad week. Usually you encounter a griefer once a week or so. If you set the default permissions to only chat and inventory, you will be fine.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Have a look at the griefer database, don't think the OP has been updated in a while, but there's newer lists in the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=29937
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by PanTobi »

Depends on what u count as trolling / griefing :x...

Some ppl spam chat sometimes but i don't think its Trolling... games are to have fun together and some ppl just want to be idiot sometimes :P

I don't remember which Update it was but when Factorio Dev-s added option to Mark locations many ppl started to spam with them xDDD
tbh. i was spamming this too :D sure, chat is for while stuck and u can't play because Location Markers are everywhere...
but this should be count as trolling only when someone continue that all the time :x...

About Blocked Blueprints...
yeee... some griefers just join server and Place Ghosts EVERYWHERE... thats why every bigger server have limit for BPs
You have to be Trusted or play on server for few hours ( to be auto trusted :D )

But placing Ghosts everywhere or Spamming on chat is nothing compared to some idiots that try to break ur Factory
there is many ways to do that and it should be just insta banned

1) Start hand crafting using 1205810285012985 iron plates and then cancel everything :x...
it will spam whole world with items :/...

2) Remove water pump :x... and Factory have no power...

3) Generate Pollution ( its actualy very rare ) so bitters evolve much faster

4) drop some copper plates on Ore Belts ( so furnance can't pickup items and produce plates )

or very nob and stupid way to grief... just grenade everything :x... ( or Nuke if its researched :D )

There is many idiots and trolls but 90% of them are already banned T_T...
I was banned few times too but always unbanned xD #LOL...
Banned

Return to “General discussion”