Create module request when placing ghost over existing building

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Superimposing moduled blueprint onto unmoduled entities

Post by IronCartographer »

TL;DR
Pasting a blueprint of entities with modules should function as expected, even if the entities already exist without modules.

What ?
Currently, module-request proxies for construction are only created along with the ghost image for the production machine. Why not allow their creation on existing entities (and unmoduled ghosts) by pasting a new blueprint with modules included?
Why ?
Consistency. Pasting blueprints applies recipes, circuit settings, etc... Why not module requests too? :)

AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Superimposing moduled blueprint onto unmoduled entities

Post by AngledLuffa »

Sounds like a good improvement. If you're stuck in the meantime not wanting to update tons of machines, this mod can help:

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Choumiko/ModuleInserter

everlate
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Create module request when placing ghost over existing building

Post by everlate »

When the ghost of a building with some modules is placed over an existing building without modules, the modules are not scheduled for placement. Normal placement of such a ghost is not prohibited. If the ghost is placed on an empty space the modules are scheduled and then inserted into the newly created building.
This behavior is inconsistent and can be considered as a bug because:
1. A user would expect a ghost placed in normal mode to be executed in full.
2. No prohibition warning is issued in normal placement mode
3. Placing the module-containing ghost upon empty space and over existing building behaves differently

Steps to reproduce:
1. Manually place electric furnace
2. Manually fill it with efficiency modules.
3. Cut the furnace with modules.
4. Wait until robots remove furnace with modules
4. Press Q to postpone ghost placement.
5. Manually place another electric furnace.
6. Paste the ghost with modules over the furnace.

What happens:
Nothing

What is expected to happen:
Request for modules on the existing building
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(5.54 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.5] Placing ghost over existing building does not place modules

Post by Rseding91 »

That's currently working as intended. Moving to ideas and suggestions.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

I've been using Module Inserter to get modules installed into accepting entities. Once they're there, I believe you can use the upgrade planner to swap between modules if you wish.

However in vanilla, to my knowledge, there are only two ways to get modules into a machine:
  1. Manually insert them
  2. Build a new machine from a blueprint that already contains them
I would love to see the ability to apply modules via blueprints like this, but I think it's been requested several times to no avail.

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

This is a convenience I would really appreciate.
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

There is already a method in the game, but it's kind of hidden -

Create a temporary blueprint instead of copy paste. This allows all attributes, including modules, to be copied to the existing building.
  1. Start a new BP
  2. Hold Shift while selecting the source building
  3. Place the ghost BP over the target building
  4. Dismiss the BP with the picker (Q)
By holding the shift key while selecting objects for a blueprint, a temporary BP is created at the cursor. This is not saved, does not get added to the clipboard history, and cannot be edited, but does allow absolute copies of buildings to be copied and pasted.

I use this extensively to avoid filling the clipboard history with pastes that are only needed rarely, change filters and recipes from the map, and of course, to make genuine copies of buildings and their attributes.
Last edited by Squelch on Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Squelch wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:02 am

Create a temporary blueprint instead of copy paste. This allows all attributes, including modules, to be copied to the existing building.
  1. Start a new BP
By holding the shift key while selecting objects for a blueprint, a temporary BP is created at the cursor. This is not saved, does not get added to the clipboard history, and cannot be edited, but does allow absolute copies of buildings to be copied and pasted.

I use this extensively to avoid filling the clipboard history with pastes that are only needed rarely, change filters and recipes from the map, and of course, to make genuine copies of buildings and their attributes.
The sad part is, I think I once knew this little gem and have completely forgotten. Thanks for this one!

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Squelch wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:02 am

1. Start a new BP

Hmmm, might be missing something. Apologies if I am, but I couldn't get this to work. Isn't the OP bug that this doesn't work?
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Create module request when placing ghost over existing building

Post by invisus »

Yeah, just tested it, and I wasn't able to get it to add new module requests. I had to first remove the existing buildings before planting the module loaded version via blueprint. :(

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

Hmm yes it doesn't work for modules. Everything else such a recipe and filter changes works, but modules can only be added to a new/empty building. It seems odd that modules are treated differently.

I just confirmed 0.17.x too, so it must have been this way for some time - perhaps always

Apologies for the false trail.

I have to add my +1 to this suggestion now.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

I'll +1 this because adding or changing modules at all with bots is a major pain to do remotely.

It's actually similar if you want to update entity settings remotely... most commonly for me, changing circuit conditions or splitters. Very cumbersome to do remotely.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

MEOWMI wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:50 pm
It's actually similar if you want to update entity settings remotely... most commonly for me, changing circuit conditions or splitters. Very cumbersome to do remotely.
That does work with the temporary blueprint method above. It is just modules that are the exception.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Squelch wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:17 pm
MEOWMI wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:50 pm
That does work with the temporary blueprint method above. It is just modules that are the exception.
Wait, what exactly is the exception again? Either way you're placing down entities then setting them up (or finding existing ones) before ctrl+C or BPing. Your method also suggests modules are replaceable in which case there is no exception. I don't quite follow the reasoning in either of the two cases.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

MEOWMI wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:25 am
Squelch wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:17 pm
Wait, what exactly is the exception again? Either way you're placing down entities then setting them up (or finding existing ones) before ctrl+C or BPing. Your method also suggests modules are replaceable in which case there is no exception. I don't quite follow the reasoning in either of the two cases.
From the point of view of changing things remotely, adding modules is the exception to what you can change for existing entities: there is no way to do it except deconstructing first. However, you can change existing modules using the upgrade planner.

From the point of view of placing a blueprint or pasting over existing entities compared to placing ghosts, modules are the exception in that they are the only thing that won't be updated to match the blueprint. Again, you must deconstruct first. As others have written, Squelch was mistaken: the temporary blueprint method does not generate module requests - in fact, as far as I can see, it behaves the same as pasting or placing a blueprint from inventory or library.

To me, the suggestion in this thread is similar to others around construction orders being created when placing a blueprint over existing entities, such as creating upgrades for belt or assembler tier changes (as added for ghosts in 1.1.0).

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

MEOWMI wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:25 am
Yes I initially said that modules could be changed using the temp BP method, and this was corrected in a follow up post. I have now struck through that assertion in my post so as to leave no doubt or confusion.

I quoted and replied to your post to point out that your particular complaints are already covered using the tmp BP method. As @SoShootMe says, it's just that modules are the exception, and require a deconstruction first, or needs to be within character reach if we want to add modules to an empty machine.
SoShootMe wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:34 pm
However, you can change existing modules using the upgrade planner.
Thank you. That's a good tip for existing modules.

-DeadlyKitten
Inserter
Inserter

Post by -DeadlyKitten »

+1
allowing copy paste/ blueprints/ setting copy paste to add module requests would be very nice to have

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

[ick] Merged two posts with same suggestion.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

I ran into this issue again today and it's really annoying. If you want to do anything other than simply filling all slots with the same module you pretty much have to install module inserter. Very nice mod, but implementing this suggestion would be even easier to use. Therefore a definite +1.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Make Copy Paste Modules mod vanilla.

Post by Illiander42 »

TL;DR
Copy->Paste machine settings also does modules.

Blueprinting over machines adds modules.

Mod link (I am not the mod author.)

What ?
From the mod description:

First, place some modules into a machine, and then copy that machine's settings (by shift + right click)
into another machine (shift + left click) and voila, the modules are copied (inserted from the player's inventory) as well!

The inserted modules will be sorted in the same order. You can also copy from a machine with no modules to remove all modules.

If the player doesn't have enough modules, a logistic request can be automatically created (turned on by default)
to fill those modules from the logistic network. However, the additional modules will not be sorted

Why ?
Because ripping up a production line just to replace it with the identical machines but with modules in them is unnecessary make-work for the construction bots.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”