Power issue

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Mabbe7
Inserter
Inserter

Power issue

Post by Mabbe7 »

I using advanced electric mod. for factorio v. 1.1.5 I used that mod with some mod packs like Bob, Angel, Krastorio 2 even in vanilla. The problem is what ever the mod pack or in vanilla or without advanced electric mod the problem still there. I have 5 boilers and 25 staem engins providing 95 MW. I need 30 MV for my base. But why I have only 5 steam engins on 25 working. So I have only 21 MW. Not enough energy. If I adding 1 boiler and 5 steam engins only 1 engin will work.

I have that problem often in the begininnig of the game. And not enough research to unblock other energy system like nuclear or solar panels.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Power issue

Post by Rseding91 »

Moved to Gameplay Help.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Mabbe7
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mabbe7 »

In the gameplay help they take about a ration 1:20:40 1 boiler 20 steam engines and 1 offshore pump.
I have 5 boilers with 5 steam engines on each and 2 offshore pumps. My question is why all steam engin except 5 not working producing not enough energy?

25 steam engins MK2 producing 95 MW. But only five working for 21 MW. And I need 30 MW. But if the 25 steam engins working toghether have 95 MW.

Your answer dont resolve that issue.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Boilers use 60 water/sec. Offshore Pumps push out 1200 water/sec. So, you can have 1200/60= 20 Boilers in a line off of one Offshore Pump.

One Steam Engine uses 30 Steam/sec. Boilers use 60 water/sec and produce 60 Steam/sec. 60 / 30 = 2 Steam Engines per Boiler.

1 Offshore Pump provides the water for 20 Boilers, which supply steam for 40 Steam Engines.

HOWEVER - and without a pic I cannot tell if this is the case, but it sounds like it - Steam Engines ONLY produce power when there is a demand. Meaning, they must be within the blue of a connected power pole. You have 5 Boilers. That means that at peak demand only 10 Steam Engines (2 per Boiler) will be functioning. Are you sure that they are all connected to the electrical grid?

EDIT - those numbers are for vanilla. Using a Steam Engine Mk 2 suggests you are using a mod somewhere. If the power pole connection is not the issue, you might want to take it up with the mod author(s).

Mabbe7
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mabbe7 »

I have 25 steam engins with 5 boilers. 5 engins on each boiler. I can produce 95 MW. but they only produce 21 MW Why?

Mabbe7
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mabbe7 »

I need 30 MW. 21 MW is not enough. But when I connecting furnaces the steam engins only produces 21 MW not the 95 MW I can produce Why? That's the question. I only need 30 MW.

Mabbe7
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mabbe7 »

If I disconnect those furnaces the steam engins produces 95 MW. Its not suppose to be. They engins supposly produce 95 MW all the time.

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

Mabbe7 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:00 pm
I have 25 steam engins with 5 boilers. 5 engins on each boiler. I can produce 95 MW. but they only produce 21 MW Why?
Not enough boilers. You need one boiler for every 2 steam engines (assuming vanilla Factorio).

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

Mabbe7 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:46 pm
In the gameplay help they take about a ration 1:20:40 1 boiler 20 steam engines and 1 offshore pump.
You've misunderstood the ratio. It is one offshore pump to twenty boilers to forty steam engines. A usual layout is running a line of twenty boilers off a pump, and then connecting two steam engines to each boiler.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

He’s playing with mods, so the vanilla numbers may not help him.

TC, post a screenshot please, of your power plant. I don’t think we’re going to be able to provide more assistance without seeing what you are doing.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

What is the maximum temperature for your MK2 steam engines, and what is the steam temerature produced by the boilers you are using?

Return to “Gameplay Help”