Rich text: remove "entity" in hints and tips

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Rich text: remove "entity" in hints and tips

Post by McDuff »

TL;DR
Instead of printing "entity:boiler" or "entity:steam engine" in the hints and tips, just print the name.
What ?
I understand that in the game "entity:inserter" and "item:inserter" are different, but this difference does not seem to matter for any use cases of rich text - and in the hints and tips it feels redundant. I don't think new players need it specified that they can move coal from the "entity" variant of a boiler with an "entity" variant of an inserter. It would also help if this could be turned off in general. It's a tiny bit of polish - not necessary but might just make things look and read a bit easier.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Rich text: remove "entity" in hints and tips

Post by valneq »

Footnote: did you know that you can hover these texts to get the tooltip of that entity/item? If you remove the "entity" and "item" prefixes, players might be surprised why they get (slightly?) different tooltips from hovering the "same" thing in different tips.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

valneq wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:09 pm
Footnote: did you know that you can hover these texts to get the tooltip of that entity/item?
Interesting. I'm more concerned that this is yet another instance of engine-internal terms leaking into the locale. There's gotta be a better word for "entity" - "Construct" maybe?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:24 pm
valneq wrote:
Footnote: did you know that you can hover these texts to get the tooltip of that entity/item?
Interesting. I'm more concerned that this is yet another instance of engine-internal terms leaking into the locale. There's gotta be a better word for "entity" - "Construct" maybe?
What do you mean with "leaking into locale"? The term "entity" is already used everywhere, and we have to translate it into all locales already.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

eradicator wrote:
valneq wrote:
I don't think 'entity' is an internal term, though. Entity in practice encapsulates a whole slew of prototypes, most corresponding to structures and things that you interact with in the world.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

eradicator wrote:
There's gotta be a better word for "entity" - "Construct" maybe?
There was in the past lot of fight and effort to keep 'entity' from appearing in the game (mostly with the NPE),
But really why? there was a lot of inconsistency, what is a machine, what is a building, what is a structure...

So I decided that players can handle the truth of the matter and the more precise vocabulary of entity

This isn't a Nickelodeon web game for 6 years olds, we don't need to protect the players from internal terms

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”