[1.1][Poll] Do you more often mess up your quickbar now?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

How often do you accidentially(!) change quickbar filters?

Often.
17%
Sometimes.
7%
Seldomly.
24%
Never.
52%

Total votes: 29

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[1.1][Poll] Do you more often mess up your quickbar now?

Post by eradicator »

Version 1.1 introduced some major changes to quickbar left-click interactions.
  1. Left clicking a filter with a stack in hand now replaces the filter instead of picking up the item. (Unless you disable the corresponding interface setting.)
  2. Left clicking an empty slot with a filtered item in hand now moves the filter instead of just assigning a new one.

To me both of these changes seem odd when i think of what the quickbar should be and how it historically evolved.

The history of the quickbar:

In the beginning the quickbar was a mini-inventory. Items were often automatically assigned. This resulted in a layout that was not conciously set by the user. But even then there was the ability to set permanent filters on each slot to prevent accidential changes. Then the non-inventory quickbar came and removed the automatic assignment of items. There seemed to be a tendency towards strenghtening the users concious control over each item filter. And then came 1.1 and made it easier than ever to accidentially/unconciously change filters.

If i think about this from an interface design perspective the most frequent quickbar action is obviously taking items from it, not changing filters. But:

Left click empty slot with empty cursor -> nothing.
Left click empty slot with inventory item -> set filter.
Left click empty slot with quickbar item -> move filter. (different from inventory item click!)

Left click filtered slot with empty cursor -> take item.
Left click filtered slot with inventory item -> set filter. ("take item." if change-by-click is disabled)
Left click filtered slot with quickbar item -> set filter. ("take item." if change-by-click is disabled)

As you can see 4 out of 6 possible left-click interactions can now result in changing the filter.

The game already has a dedicated "change filter" button - middle click - which every other filterable slot uses (cars, cargo wagons, player main inventory). So i find it really puzzling that the quickbar has this many left-click based filter interactions now. I'd personally love to have an "expert mode" where left click never changes filters. Regrettably the api doesn't allow to mod something like that.

How does everyone else feel about this?
(Please keep it civil.)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

SKKiro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1][Poll] Do you more often mess up your quickbar now?

Post by SKKiro »

Oh, I guess this is why the quickbar was weird when I tried the belt madness gamemode not too long ago when I tried 1.1

For me I was messing up my quickbar constantly in that. But thankfully you made me aware that there is an option for this very reason.

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

I changed the setting directly after updating to keep the old behavior. I imagine I would screw my filters often with the new setting.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

There is absolutely no chance I ever mess up my quickbar. I have always used "clear cursor" as a mean to "stop holding something". my muscle memory has been built over a couple thousand hours.
As I wrote in another thread, I wouldn't even have noticed the change if people hadn't reported the change to break their workflow.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

I haven't used the quickbar for anything except combat ever since it stopped being inventory space, so no.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

foamy wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:38 am
I haven't used the quickbar for anything except combat ever since it stopped being inventory space, so no.
Yeah, I use it far less now that it doesn't auto-populate.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Kahnugo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kahnugo »

Never after it was possible to turn off the auto replace. Before that I occasionally did by mistake, usually when I was driving around in a spidertron. I often have the remote selected and select stuff from the quickbar directly after moving (I pretty much only use the hotkeys for the remote).

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

I had to change the setting back to how it used to be, where having an item on the cursor and clicking on a different item puts that different item on the cursor.

Even with that setting, it's still possible to change an item's slot by clicking the item, then clicking on an empty slot. This puts the item on the formerly-empty slot and clears it from the original slot.

In theory this would make it more difficult to have two slots with the same item. But in practice changing the item's slot is always what I want to do in that situation, so I haven't found it a problem.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

foamy wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:38 am
Koub wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:33 pm
I have always used "clear cursor" as a mean to "stop holding something"
and i pick up things using the pipette.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

mmmPI wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:32 am
Indeed, I do that a lot too, except when I don't have the wanted entity onscreen ofc.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Guenni7
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Guenni7 »

Koub wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:42 pm
mmmPI wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:32 am
Indeed, I do that a lot too, except when I don't have the wanted entity onscreen ofc.
Thanks god there is a confirmation sound indicating you had something under the cursor when Q-ing :)

Return to “General discussion”