Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Version 1.1.0

Post by kovarex »

Koub wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:49 am
DrParanoia wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:41 am
Also, your quoted thread does not talk about the style of the icons, but rather about the meaning of SOME of the icons, and the feedback is quite constructive. This is not a "change is bad!" post.
I wanted to stress that there had been some feedback with the "flat" icon style that the change was not welcome for some cases.

I think that using the same visual terminology to represent the same things through all the game (or software) makes sense, even if it's less fancy. I value functionality over looks, and find the roboport icon (for example) significantly more understandable than the flat wifi-like symbol. Same thing for the power pole, which makes more sense than the flat "electrocardiogram", ...

Without even launching the game, I can guess the use of all the buttons thanks to the icons, except for the pollution, for which there is no other representation ingame. I can assure you that it wasn't the case with the old iconology.
This was exactly my reasoning.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:
I think that using the same visual terminology to represent the same things through all the game (or software) makes sense, even if it's less fancy.
Oh yea, i love consistency. All the more i was totally confused by the new train symbol because it looks like a modern-world subway. And that's only *after* i already knew it was supposed to be train related. I.e. it's an abstract symbol for something that's not even in the game.

train.png
train.png (7.33 KiB) Viewed 9898 times

Also are those symbols also supposed to become colored? Because now there's this weird break between flat/white symbols and colored icons. And technology even changes between the two depending on if something is being researched or not.

And then there's the thing that colored icons are much larger than the monochrome symbols. I don't have strong preferences for either style. But consitently using the same style everywhere wouldn't make me unhappy...

flatVScolor.png
flatVScolor.png (70.35 KiB) Viewed 9898 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

eradicator wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 pm
And then there's the thing that colored icons are much larger than the monochrome symbols. I don't have strong preferences for either style. But consitently using the same style everywhere wouldn't make me unhappy...
yeah maybe just making the button background a bit darker to blend in better wouldn't make them stand out like a sore thumb.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

ptx0 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:57 pm
eradicator wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 pm
yeah maybe just making the button background a bit darker to blend in better wouldn't make them stand out like a sore thumb.
Here's a fish to lighten up your [Moderated by Koub] existance: <°)'|'|'|'|`=<<
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

eradicator wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:00 pm
Here's a fish to lighten up your [Moderated by Koub] existance: <°)'|'|'|'|`=<<
[Koub] Response to moderated content became unnecessary

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Edit: Refocused due to tone-deaf appearance of remaining text in light of neutralized context.

The visual style is good to be consistent, but also worth remembering that if everything is trying to stand out in color, nothing will stand out other than the aggressively vivid colors as a whole. Clear contrast and focus are easily lost with increasing visual noise.
Last edited by IronCartographer on Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Please people, you may disagree as much as you like, but I would appreciate if you kept it calm and civil.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

DrParanoia
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrParanoia »

Koub wrote:
Without even launching the game, I can guess the use of all the buttons thanks to the icons, except for the pollution, for which there is no other representation ingame. I can assure you that it wasn't the case with the old iconology.
That's because you're an experienced Factorio player. A new player won't know what these icons mean since he won't even have the research for these items, so he will need to read the tooltips anyway. And after you read the tooltips once, you will remember the meanings.

With that said, I don't think it was a problem with the style of the icons (flat vs colored), but rather the confusion was caused by the choice of the icons. Most of the colored ones can be replaced by a similar flat icon. Not for me to decide though :D

P.S.
To be honest, I don't think I'll have any problems with colored icons after they are finished (quality wise)

GluAp
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GluAp »

I don't know how I manged, but it somehow completly eluded me how to flip bluprints. How do I do this? :oops:

nvm - figured it out: It's "F" and "G". Feel's kind of weird, that those controls are listed under "Basic Interaction" (control settings) whereas most blueprint related settings are to be found in "Tools".

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

GluAp wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:00 pm
I don't know how I manged, but it somehow completly eluded me how to flip bluprints. How do I do this? :oops:

nvm - figured it out: It's "F" and "G". Feel's kind of weird, that those controls are listed under "Basic Interaction" (control settings) whereas most blueprint related settings are to be found in "Tools".
i find myself reverting to Blueprint Flip & Turn mod because the vanilla flip doesn't work with most modded layouts.

Durentis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durentis »

Holy wow.. popped in for a look at the release state and ran into a wall of text. This patch is well beyond epic. :)

I don't suppose medium poles have had their radius increased by one recently to help keep the power grid tidy and to actually be a good option over having to use two overlapping small poles in so many situations?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Durentis wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:31 am
Holy wow.. popped in for a look at the release state and ran into a wall of text. This patch is well beyond epic. :)

I don't suppose medium poles have had their radius increased
They haven't.

Alwego
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Alwego »

Bilka wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:11 am
Ambaire wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:14 am
Why was the Rocket silo stats GUI removed? How do we now see how many satellites we've launched?
Press P, search for space science produced, divide by 1000.
I'm here to say how much sad i'm after "Removed the 'Rocket silos stats' GUI". I don't understand the idea to turn off this complete.
I have this from one public server, how much rocket was sended here? 130 000? 130 999? :(
gui.png
gui.png (6.82 KiB) Viewed 9267 times

curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by curiosity »

I apologise if this is obnoxious, but I am here to say that I have reimplemented rocket silo stats in my mod (forum thread). It should detect any existing progress, which is actually tracked by the game engine.

Ifalna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ifalna »

Poles built by dragging are now actually build on the maximum connection distance from the last built pole instead of the previous logic that was working weird in a lot of corner cases.

518hrs of Factorio and I never even fathomed that power poles could be placed that way.

Awesome work, great to see that you're still motivated and keep improving the game!
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

tk0421
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tk0421 »

Blueprint flipping is CORE!!!!!!!!!!!!

my wishlist is now complete.

Oscar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Oscar »

absolutely love everything that is added in this update! thank you devs so much the wonderful job!

one little remark though: is it possible to reduce the size of and may be also add bit of polish to the arrows that now appear when you hoover over the warning signs? IMHO at the moment they still look bit crude.

noclaf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by noclaf »

Are we going to have 1.1.0 in stable before Christmas? Pretty please! ;)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

noclaf wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:07 pm
Are we going to have 1.1.0 in stable before Christmas? Pretty please! ;)
In development, rushing is always a bad idea. Always.

noclaf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by noclaf »

Práce kvapná, málo platná! Dvakrát měř, jednou releasuj! :mrgreen:

I want to start a new vanilla megabase over the Christmas (kids gone, etc :D ) and I kind-of need some of the 1.0->1.1 improvements to get rid of some annoying stuff I faced in the past. Ježíšek won't bring you any gifts if you are naughty to me! :lol:

Return to “Releases”