Map Gen Starting Area Options

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Map Gen Starting Area Options

Post by Kelderek »

It would be nice to have a few more options for creating the Starting Area portion of a new map beyond just the size of it.

Starting Area Water
In particular I would like to be able to adjust how much water is in the starting area. I find that the map generator too often places far more water in the starting area than I would like. This becomes more pronounced if you already set the water value to "big" or "very big" giving you large ocean-like bodies of water nearby. That setting seems to only affect the water availability outside of the starting area. I only have a couple of alternatives if I want to change the starting area water:
-- I could try to build my factory outside the given starter area, but then I would have to contend with more aliens. This is less viable if you set the alien values higher than normal.
-- I can use the map editor to remove some of the water by making a scenario. This is the workaround I usually use, but I would prefer to use a freeplay map instead of a scenario.
-- I can use a mod that might allow me to fill in the water areas with land. For me personally, I generally prefer to play early access/beta games without mods so this isn't an option for me.

Starting Area Resources
It would be nice to be able to have different resource values for the starting area than for the rest of the map. I don't use mods, but I see a lot of people on the forums that use mods to make resources more scarce. I don't think you would need 5 separate values for each of the different resources in the starting area, but perhaps a general low-normal-high type of setting for frequency, size, and quality would suffice for all of the resources together. Ideally there would be options for "none" or "minimal" to really entice players to explore and build rail networks.

I don't know how much other players would like these things, but at least I have the option of using a scenario editor as a workaround.

Sting_Auer
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Map Gen Starting Area Options

Post by Sting_Auer »

An "advanced world gen" menu that lets you assign numerical values to the different variables for world generation would suffice here, I think.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

First the world generator is surely on the devs todo list, so these ideas are a good hint, what to change.

Second I want to point to this article: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=4692
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

Yeah, I figured that map generation was probably on the list of things to fine tune and I like the other ideas I've seen and the ones you linked. I just wanted to point out a few specific things I am hoping to see make it in. Based on your suggestion I guess these would fit in the "expert mode" which is fine by me.

And like I said before, having the map editor is a viable workaround to tide me over. :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”