Version 1.1.0

Information about releases and roadmap.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Version 1.1.0

Post by kovarex »

I'm quite surprised by the complaints related to the quickbar change. It seems like a super obvious thing to me, that I always clear the cursor automatically whenever I'm done doing something with an item. Clicking some other quickbar item with something else is hand is just something that doesn't happen, but apparently they are people that don't do that. I will make an option that locks the quickbar for people doing fat-finger actions too often.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Sorry, not having to press another button in between actions is a "fat finger action"?

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

kovarex wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:49 pm
I'm quite surprised by the complaints related to the quickbar change. It seems like a super obvious thing to me, that I always clear the cursor automatically whenever I'm done doing something with an item. Clicking some other quickbar item with something else is hand is just something that doesn't happen, but apparently they are people that don't do that. I will make an option that locks the quickbar for people doing fat-finger actions too often.
Agree 100%

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

kovarex wrote:
Agree 0%. Why would you press a button when you don't have to? Very inefficient.

Thanks for the setting anyway. Hope it will be on by default.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

kovarex wrote:
Thanks.
Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:50 pm
Sorry, not having to press another button in between actions is a "fat finger action"?
+infinity

Calling it "fat finger" makes it sound like an accident when really it's a concious click-count optimization. It's also very convenient when designing blueprints with one hand and holding a mug in the other. ;p
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Nexarius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nexarius »

Can we get like an option to lock the quickbar for like ALL games? I basically put the same things on the same spot on every single game.

This map change is AWESOME!
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (921.85 KiB) Viewed 5949 times
Last edited by Nexarius on Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Ambaire wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:14 am
Why was the Rocket silo stats GUI removed? How do we now see how many satellites we've launched?
I don't understand why it was seemingly randomly removed.
I would like to ask this too. For me (and many others I'd bet) Factorio starts after you launch that first rocket - forever chasing MORE™. Increasing the Science per Minute and so on... It's an interesting statistic to have for long term or big factories. Frankly I would like to of seen it expanded to include how many rockets per minute / hour you've launched etc, not randomly removed.

Please consider readding this in some form guys. Pretty please?

To me this change is just unnecessarily muting a fun aspect to Factorio, hell, I bet someone who's just launched their first rocket would like to know when they've managed 10, or how fast they're getting launched?

Please undo, or readd in some way.
Last edited by Ghoulish on Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

No, it is not fat fingers. Players who click directly on an item in the quickbar with something still in hand were actually more efficient than I was. I also cleared the cursor with q for the last 4 years. One key stroke more than necessary, I just recently noticed and started to re-learn. How many times did I press q in the last four years without it being necessary? :lol:

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Shadow_Man wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:05 am
Bilka wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:11 am
Ambaire wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:14 am
Why was the Rocket silo stats GUI removed? How do we now see how many satellites we've launched?
Press P, search for space science produced, divide by 1000.
But you can launch rocket without satellite, or you launch other things in rocket, not satellites.
Some mods may change launch mechanics by returning other items.
Please make rocket launch stats window optional and configurable (total launches, cargo launched, returning cargo received).
I think it was ok to remove the button in the top left corner since it really was an odd one out. But how about adding send rockets to the "production" side of the statistics screen? Or make the gui togglable with a shortcut (yes I really like shortcuts :))
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

PunkSkeleton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PunkSkeleton »

Many great features.
I like the quickbar change as changing items on the quick bar was slow and painful process for me. My son couldn't even do that (he's 4.5).
As for performance optimizations it depends on the case as always. Your base and your hardware. My mega base with many trains and many separate belt systems gone up from sub 30 to over 40 ups. Transport line update time is down to 1ms from like 12. The whole game now uses 15% of the CPU on 16 core machine so it is basically running over 2 threads on average.

KatherineOfSky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KatherineOfSky »

I'm pressed for time atm, so I won't go into everything about the new update, but I do have one topic that I want to raise:

The new flat GUI positioning is so useless to me. When I set my Logistics filters, I do it ONCE for the entire playthrough. I liked having it on the right because of the logi toggle. Otherwise, I rarely touched it. Now, I feel like there's a big dead space in the middle of the screen. My eyes are trying to go two different directions looking at the "useful" parts of this UI. It was mentioned that "this is how it was in the past" ... but for all the new players and all the old players... it's been with the Crafting menu in the center for MONTHS.

I don't understand the logic of this change, and it's extremely confusing when starting a new game as well. (If you haven't tried it yet: the Inventory is next to Crafting, and then when you get the tech, gets split apart by the Logistics menu!) I find this very jarring and without any purpose at all. I often reference the crafting menu in end-game, even if I don't craft stuff. it's a good reference for what recipes need, etc., and useful for building assembly lines. I use it FAR more often than the Logistics tab.

PLEASE either switch it back, or give us the option to change positioning. (ATM, it's so irritating to me, I had to turn off Flat, which is annoying because I don't have instant access to the Logi tick box).
Tutorials, wild playthroughs, and more! https://www.youtube.com/@KatherineOfSky

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

KatherineOfSky wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:30 pm
The new flat GUI positioning is so useless to me. When I set my Logistics filters, I do it ONCE for the entire playthrough. I liked having it on the right because of the logi toggle. Otherwise, I rarely touched it.
Same. Thankfully there is an UI menu option to get back the tabs

ElderAxe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ElderAxe »

Thanks Wube for the update. I was waiting it on Thursday like the previous releases and surprised that it came out on Monday night.

There are many beautiful improvements and bugfixes in the game.

I'm sad about;
- ghost upgrading doesn't work for blueprints. It would be great if we had a shortcut like force-place blueprint which also upgrades items in the blueprint. (maybe ctrl+shift+click) It would really useful for using blueprints with normal chests -> logistic chests with predefined settings, adding junctions to rails and change normal signals with chain signals where it's necessary.
- ctrl+c doesn't copy trains like ctrl+x
- we can't use recipe icons on the real icon selection boxes. (tag icons, blueprint icons) But you can use them on their names. Which is weird IMO.
- Adding another logistic row only works for the last item on the last line. It should work when you set an item on the last row. (Like blueprint rows) I usually use new rows for each different type of item (belts, inserters, chests, rail stuff etc).

About the quickbar, I think this is more intuitive this was. I never get used the shortcuts only version and started using Q or selecting items directly from inventory previously. Now it feels more like inventory which I will use more.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:59 pm
Calling it "fat finger" makes it sound like an accident when really it's a concious click-count optimization. It's also very convenient when designing blueprints with one hand and holding a mug in the other. ;p
because you accidentally replaced the item.

honestly click optimisation would mean using the keyboard shortcut keys and not a single click must be executed.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

kovarex wrote:
I was very surprised by all the complaints. Then I tried a new game in 1.1. After a few minutes, I looked down and thought, "What!? Why did I put a burner miner in two places right next to each other in the toolbar...ohhhhhhhhhhhhh." :lol: I was so used to being able to click on a different item to pick it up, even if I had something in my hand, that I didn't realize I was doing it.
ickputzdirwech wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:34 pm
  • Changing filters in the quickbar is an action that is needed very rarely. Definitely fewer times than taking an item from the quickbar. The more frequent action should be easier accessible.
  • If you forget to clear the cursor first, there is no easy way to undo the new filter in the quickbar.
This is a great summary of the issues with the change. It's not a terrible change. I imagine everyone will eventually get used to it. But it definitely violates our collective muscle memory. It makes sense that it should be a bit harder to change a quickbar filter than to grab something from the quickbar. :)

All the other changes are amazing. I definitely should've taken vacation time this week.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

kovarex wrote:
Thanks so much. Sometimes options really are the best option.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

DrParanoia
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrParanoia »

Awsome update! The night graphics are so nice...looks like it's time to remove the lights :D The Map toggle icons are very bad though :( They are SOOOOO out of place it makes me cringe :( The toggle buttons under the minimap need simple/monochrome icons instead of the colored ones :(
Last edited by DrParanoia on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

Will there be 1.1.1 soon?
Or 1.2.0 will be the next?

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Oh I had to jog my brain a bit here to understand how quickbar works and what the change was...

I don't use it at all. Just for grenades, poison and poisson 8-)

But now that we're being promised new options, an idea: you know how you can set the amount of quickbars in the options? Make it go down to 0, for the significant minority of me and me only. Pretty please? With sugar on top? No? Ok.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

DrParanoia wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:52 pm
Awsome update! The night graphics are so nice...looks like it's time to remove the lights :D The Map toggle icons are very bad though :( They are SOOOOO out of place it makes me cringe :( The minimap needs simple/monochrome icons instead of the colored ones :(
oh yes, i can totally see grayscale icons working out well. i'm looking for circuits and see, oh right there's my green circuits.. or are they red? or blue? :roll:

Return to “Releases”