Search for train stops by name in the map / Map search for tags and train stops

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.16.23] Search for train stops by name in the map

Post by ssilk »

I also have over 290 stops in my map, but I have some kind of system.

Not saying this is not needed (really useful) but building so many stations without an idea how to find the right looks a bit naive. Sorry, no offense, just simple thoughts.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

prdfndr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by prdfndr »

I do have a system which consists of the name of the item (in the rich text format) and whether it is a drop or pickup. If you do something with universal delivery/pickup, thats pretty much all you can do, because introducing location into the name would break the universality of the system. You can see several stations with unique names on the picture, but they are used only for personal travelling.

The biggest problem though is not a single player, but a multiplayer, where you did not do the whole thing yourself. Sometimes you just want to know where the iron/copper go, and how many stations are using it. Sometimes you want to find a good location for your cityblock to work well with others. Such issues are absolutely terrible to coordinate without a map search, if you are not well familiar with the layout of the base. Just imagine looking at that picture I posted and trying to find all places where iridium plates are delivered (thats the Space Exploration mod)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I use a system based on areas. Like in railroad tycoon deluxe.

You have there villages with some name. The main station just is the name of that village + “main station”. If you build a station near a coal mine it is village + “mines”. In the village in the east it adds “east”. And so on.

I make it so: when I build a new station far away from the last “main station”, I search for some creative name, like when it is near at a lake that looks like a rabbit I call it “loch rabbit” or so. And then I add other stations around which have a distinct functionality I add the item type and direction, like “iron load”.

This is easy to remember. With the name like “loch rabbit iron load” I know it must be somewhere here near big iron field. And it’s just fun to have station like “biter toilet wood unload “.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:50 am
This is easy to remember. With the name like “loch rabbit iron load” I know it must be somewhere here near big iron field. And it’s just fun to have station like “biter toilet wood unload “.
This is great! I have a similar concept using zones and sectors but "zone 3 green circuit sector" is awfully boring compared to "loch rabbit" or "biter toilet." :lol: Thanks for the inspiration!
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

prdfndr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by prdfndr »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:50 am
I use a system based on areas. Like in railroad tycoon deluxe.

You have there villages with some name. The main station just is the name of that village + “main station”. If you build a station near a coal mine it is village + “mines”. In the village in the east it adds “east”. And so on.
Yeah, I used a similar system before. With your system, though, each time you put a receiving station with a new name, you would have to adjust the schedule of the corresponding train, or put a new train. For which you have to know where this train is (very likely at the supplying station or another receiving station), for which you, again, have to find the station you need. So, you still have to find stations by the item, if you don't know the location.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

The new trains GUI (default hotkey O) in 1.1 allows to do this.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

Bilka wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:39 pm
Great! How about search for map tags, also included in this thread?

AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AngledLuffa »

Woohoo, thanks!

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Bilka wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:39 pm
The trains GUI is awesome but I still think one would be useful on the map itself, e.g.:

Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”