Allow blueprints to be tileable in only one direction

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

PhiPro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Allow blueprints to be tileable in only one direction

Post by PhiPro »

Oftentimes, you have blueprints that should only be tileable in one dimension.
You can already achieve this effect currently by using some large grid size for the dimension which you don't want to be tileable. However, using large grid sizes such as 10^6 or 10^9 seems to cause some tremendous lag, and very large grid sizes such as 2147483647=2^31-1 cause overflow issues (despite not causing lag for some reason), see viewtopic.php?f=48&t=91305.

Hence I request the feature to declare tileability in only one dimension more properly. Concretely, I propose to allow a grid size of 0, with the meaning that a blueprint is not tileable in that direction. In fact, this is semantically correct, since the only multiple of 0 is 0 itself; so allowing placement only at the integer multiples of the grid size means for a grid size of 0 exactly non-tileability in that direction.

Furthermore, with the current workaround, dragging a blueprint draws some large green bounding box corresponding to the large grid size. In my opinion this doesn't look too nice or meaningful. With the ability to properly declare tileability in only one direction, the visuals could be adapted to reflect the intention more appropriately.
(Interestingly, using a grid size of 2^30 currently causes the bounding box to collapse and only draw a single line, which in my opinion looks much better than throwing some giant rectangle at the player.)

Best,
PhiPro

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”