[1.0] Screenshot issues in Linux GNOME

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Freddie Chopin
Inserter
Inserter

[1.0] Screenshot issues in Linux GNOME

Post by Freddie Chopin »

Hi (;

With stable 1.0 Factorio and GNOME 3.36 there are some very weird and annoying bugs with doing a print-screen key screenshots:
1. If you do a screenshot of the whole screen (just print-screen) then the game window is just not visible (*). You see a checkerboard instead of it (same thing as graphic software use for marking transparent background).
2. If you do a screenshot of active window (alt+print-screen), then in majority of cases GNOME session will crash. No screenshot is done.
3. If you do a screenshot of selectable area (shift+print-screen), then it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Maybe it's something like "doesn't work the first time", hard to tell.

There was absolutely no issue like that with Factorio 0.17.79 and GNOME 3.34. I did not check with Factorio 0.18.xx. I have no idea how to tell you whether the problem is more in Factorio or more in GNOME, however my brother (who has a similar PC, similar OS and also GNOME) has the same issue.

Any ideas on how could I narrow this issue down for you?

(*) - I'm mentioning this and separating 1. from 2., because I have 2 monitors. Maybe this is related, maybe not.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [1.0] Screenshot issues in Linux GNOME

Post by Oxyd »

Freddie Chopin wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:48 pm
1. If you do a screenshot of the whole screen (just print-screen) then the game window is just not visible (*). You see a checkerboard instead of it (same thing as graphic software use for marking transparent background).
Seems to be a known bug in GNOME.
Freddie Chopin wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:48 pm
2. If you do a screenshot of active window (alt+print-screen), then in majority of cases GNOME session will crash. No screenshot is done.
This too.

Either way, programs don't handle their own screenshots being taken. You could try using GIMP for taking screenshots, that's always worked for me.

Freddie Chopin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Freddie Chopin »

Thanks for the info. It's a pity this doesn't work in GNOME properly now. While I know that there's a way to make screenshots in game with a command, this way has a pretty serious limitation - it captures what is around player, not what is on the screen. If I would like to make a screenshot of the map view, then this doesn't seem to be possible. Would you consider such feature request worthwhile and doable?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

If you happen to use Steam, it provides its own screenshot feature. By default you can press F12 to take a screenshot of the running game. This works very well with my Gnome on Archlinux.

Freddie Chopin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Freddie Chopin »

Unfortunately I'm not using Steam, I have the "direct" install of the game. I assumed that by buying it directly on the website, Wube will get more cash, while Steam is probably already profitable enough (;

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Freddie Chopin wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:04 pm
Unfortunately I'm not using Steam, I have the "direct" install of the game. I assumed that by buying it directly on the website, Wube will get more cash, while Steam is probably already profitable enough (;
You're correct in that assumption, but you can get a Steam key after buying it from the website (I'm not sure exactly where, but log in with your account and poke around).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Freddie Chopin wrote:
make a global keybinding in GNOME to have your own F12 global shortcut that runs:

scrot -u "~/Pictures/Screenshots/scrot-$(date +%s).png"

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:31 pm
Freddie Chopin wrote:
You're correct in that assumption, but you can get a Steam key after buying it from the website (I'm not sure exactly where, but log in with your account and poke around).
Steam is a waste of CPU, just for taking a screenshot with.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

ptx0 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:33 pm
Most likely (although Factorio doesn't really waste CPU, so obviously you need something to do so :P), but presumably it would actually work for taking screenshots, unlike Gnome. Scrot appears to be something that would also work, from my brief glimpse over Linux screenshot tools.

Of course, there's always also the possibility that Steam could or would be used for things other than taking screenshots, and it seems a reasonable thing to provide that option.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:41 pm
ptx0 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:33 pm
Most likely (although Factorio doesn't really waste CPU, so obviously you need something to do so :P), but presumably it would actually work for taking screenshots, unlike Gnome. Scrot appears to be something that would also work, from my brief glimpse over Linux screenshot tools.

Of course, there's always also the possibility that Steam could or would be used for things other than taking screenshots, and it seems a reasonable thing to provide that option.
no, when I say Steam is a waste of CPU, i mean, it's been known to (on Linux especially) cause unnecessary CPU use in some web browser portion of the Steam application, which actually hurts Factorio performance. this is why I switched to Standalone copy on Linux.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

ptx0 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:44 pm
no, when I say Steam is a waste of CPU, i mean, it's been known to (on Linux especially) cause unnecessary CPU use in some web browser portion of the Steam application, which actually hurts Factorio performance. this is why I switched to Standalone copy on Linux.
Ah, interesting. If I remember correctly basically all of Steam is just a webview.

Freddie Chopin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Freddie Chopin »

ptx0 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:32 pm
make a global keybinding in GNOME to have your own F12 global shortcut that runs:

scrot -u "~/Pictures/Screenshots/scrot-$(date +%s).png"
Interesting idea, I'll try that! Thanks!

Return to “Technical Help”