Copy/Paste Train Conditions

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Copy/Paste Train Conditions

Post by ssilk »

While I’m admiring this detailed description (really much work and well done) I need to say something as moderator and programmer: we (the gamers) cannot know that level of detail.

That is normally part of the software development process. Far beyond of what here can be discussed. Because we (gamers) don’t own the code and don’t be aware of all the things that already where introduced. We don’t know the exact history. That is written into the code, which we don’t have. For example: copying properties is in Factorio done which shift-RMB, paste with shift-LMB. Does it make sense to make it here differently? We cannot know the right answer yet.

I make another comparison: when I want to have new tiles in my bathroom, I can decide
- the color and pattern
- some details (mirrored tile there)
- about how many tiles I need (measuring and some simple calculations)
- and many more details like, where to begin (we need to know what makes sense), which kind of cement we use, how tight the tiles are placed (not always makes sense).

But we don’t plan, how the tiles are exactly layed, how the tiles are placed, how much cement we need, which form the tiles are cut.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

something simple like ctrl+click/shift+click where you copy and paste conditions from one station to another in the same list. that seems fine.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

ptx0 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:39 pm
something simple like ctrl+click/shift+click where you copy and paste conditions from one station to another in the same list. that seems fine.
Copy/paste something like you describe is interesting if it appends the conditions rather than replaces existing ones because it's quick to delete if you copy ones you didn't actually want. However, I'm not sure if it would work with the "and/or" grouping sensibly, and it seems comparable to copy/paste of settings (eg assembler recipe) where the behaviour is to replace, so might feel inconsistent with that.

Another option (not mutually exclusive; partially overlapping use cases) would be additional buttons on the station line of an entry: one (icon with tooltip) to insert a duplicate entry, including conditions, immediately below that entry, and one (maybe the station name itself) to pop up the station selection list as when adding a station (but prepopulated with the current one) to allow changing the station the entry relates to, leaving the entry's conditions unchanged. The latter has uses by itself.

TheUnknown007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheUnknown007 »

While I’m admiring this detailed description (really much work and well done) I need to say something as moderator and programmer: we (the gamers) cannot know that level of detail.
It is a proposal, which means it is an example of how it could be done and meant to get the creative process started. Given that people seem to be posting other solutions it seems to have reached that goal.
I definitely do not expect it to be implemented exactly like I describe here, this should be iterated upon to get to the best implementation. Feel free to change as much as you need or go with another implementation entirely, I just want some way to cover the three use cases:
1. Change station without having to recreate all conditions
2. Copy a station and its conditions within a schedule
2. Copy a (or multiple) station and its conditions to another train's schedule

Another proposal: we could drop the ctrl+shift+RMB to simplify my proposal drastically (selection can be one station or condition at most). Just shift+RMB, shift+LMB and the edit button for stations would cover all use cases.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

SoShootMe wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:07 pm
ptx0 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:39 pm
Copy/paste something like you describe is interesting if it appends the conditions rather than replaces existing ones because it's quick to delete if you copy ones you didn't actually want. However, I'm not sure if it would work with the "and/or" grouping sensibly, and it seems comparable to copy/paste of settings (eg assembler recipe) where the behaviour is to replace, so might feel inconsistent with that.

Another option (not mutually exclusive; partially overlapping use cases) would be additional buttons on the station line of an entry: one (icon with tooltip) to insert a duplicate entry, including conditions, immediately below that entry, and one (maybe the station name itself) to pop up the station selection list as when adding a station (but prepopulated with the current one) to allow changing the station the entry relates to, leaving the entry's conditions unchanged. The latter has uses by itself.
you're really overthinking it.

Krusnik
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Krusnik »

Even just a button to duplicate an existing train stop within the Schedule Editor would be awesome.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”