Does Factorio work on the new Macbooks?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
tejas12
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Does Factorio work on the new Macbooks?

Post by tejas12 »

Has anyone had a chance yet to try Factorio on the new M1 Apple Macbooks? If so, how did you get on?
Last edited by tejas12 on Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Does Factorio work on the new Macbooks?

Post by Koub »

Will have to be ran through Rosetta2 I guess, as it's ar ARM architecture.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

I’m saw someone on Reddit saying that it worked on the M1 macbooks, but in the other hand, it is really bad on even intel MacBooks in big sur: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=91297.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

ezekiel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ezekiel »

I have an M1 MacBook Air and Factorio runs without a problem - I don't have any large worlds but it's easily maintaining 60/60 on my smaller world. It's running with Rosetta however–and in the long term (over the next, say, 5 years) Rosetta support could be removed.

I hope that the development team takes the time to build Factorio for ARM so that support can be ensured and efficiency can be better.

Baughn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Baughn »

It runs fine, and in headless mode actually about 20% faster than on my 1920X (impressive!).

But. This is a huge but. Using --benchmark on the same save and mod config, on both machines, I get a different checksum on the M1.

Connecting to a multiplayer sessions seems to have worked, however, so I'm not sure if this is an actual problem. It may be my expectations that are off -- maybe it's including the CPU vendor / OS in the checksum calculation?

Return to “Technical Help”