Proposal to fix: the pulse function on inserters (+belts?) is inconsistent under low power.

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: The pulse function on inserters (+belts?) is inconsistent (under low power) and a noob trap.

Post by Theikkru »

Nosferatu wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:50 am
I still see no solution that has a chance to be used by the devs.[...]
Does that mean you think the proposal has no chance? Why?
Deadlock989 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:05 am
Impatient wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:47 am
None of them addressed the discrepancy specifically.
They did in the other multipage mega-whinge that got locked.
Impatient wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:28 am
I never noticed. I probably just never ran low on power, while using vulnerable circuitry.
Nutshell.
Stop repeating misinformation and stale arguments that have been answered repeatedly since the last thread.
Kyralessa wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:49 am
"Go find a mod"[...]
See: this proposal is probably unmoddable (3rd point).

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: The pulse function on inserters (+belts?) is inconsistent (under low power) and a noob trap.

Post by Theikkru »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:23 am
Dear Texas Instruments,[...]
Once upon a time, there was a village by a river. One day, a traveler arrived at that village to replenish his supplies, hawk his wares, and rest his feet, but over the first few days of his visit, he noticed something strange.
There was a simple wooden bridge built across the river so that villagers could cross it, and so they did, every day, in order to tend to their rye and barley fields on the other side.
The traveler noted that although there were four big, strong wooden posts denoting the entrances to the bridge on either side, there was no wall or railing running along the sides of the bridge to keep people from falling off. He also observed that when crossing the bridge, the villagers would always proceed single-file along the exact centerline of the bridge, and indeed, the wood of the bridge had been worn smooth along that line, attesting to the tradition.
Each night, at the village tavern, one or two of the villagers would wish that there were another bridge, so that they could cross the river more quickly each morning and evening. Finally, the curious traveler asked,
"Why don't you tie rope across the river between the bridge posts to act as a railing? Then you could walk across the bridge two or more at a time, and not worry about falling off."
The villagers all turned to the traveler with confused looks on their faces, and, after a pause, one villager replied,
"We walk down the middle of the bridge. That is how it has always been."
The traveler then asked,
"Why do you always walk down the center of the bridge?"
"So that we get to the other side in the shortest distance." came the reply.
The now confused traveler continued,
"Well, if you tied a rope between those big posts as a railing, you wouldn't have to worry about falling off, so more of you could cross at the same time, and you could still reach the other side in the shortest distance by walking straight across the bridge, even if it's not in the middle."
Suddenly, the village elder rasped,
"If we tied ropes between the posts, it would block the entrance to the bridge."
The villagers murmured and nodded in agreement.
"I said tie ropes across the river, not across the entrance!" the exasperated traveler exclaimed.
But the villagers murmured some more, and shook their heads, and eventually one spoke,
"We walk down the middle of the bridge. That is how it has always been."

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Theikkru »

ptx0 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:55 pm
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/FreeEnergyCombinators

here's the rope for your bridge that you refuse to install.
Uh, no, that's building stone walls along the sides of the bridge so that people can't fall off, but now there's only enough room on the bridge for single-file anyways.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Theikkru wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:05 pm
ptx0 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:55 pm
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/FreeEnergyCombinators

here's the rope for your bridge that you refuse to install.
Uh, no, that's building stone walls along the sides of the bridge so that people can't fall off, but now there's only enough room on the bridge for single-file anyways.
can you just be straightforward and not use metaphors on a forum populated by - like myself - autistic people who struggle with them?

apparently you must struggle with them too, because your words make no sense. but as long as you acknowledge there's a solution and it's moddable, you just don't want to use it because you feel like you know better than the devs..

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Theikkru »

ptx0 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:08 pm
can you just be straightforward and not use metaphors[...]
I've been doing that this whole thread, but for some reason, everyone absolutely refuses to address the proposal I made directly, instead insisting on some workaround or inferior alternate solution. Remember all the confusion about the "easy fix" I brought up, and how people were up in arms that it would "dumb down" the game? The free energy combinator mod does exactly that. My proposal does not.

I am seriously starting to wonder how many people really understand what the proposal would actually do.
Last edited by Theikkru on Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

You guys could also just ignore each other, you know. :lol:

Opteras new mod is an alternative for me, I might take a look at, if the current game mechanic bugs me too much. But I think, I rather add some more logic to protect vulnerable combinator setups. But I guess, for what you had in mind Theikkru with your reactor blueprint, you are out of luck.

I think by now the dev team is well aware of the cases, where the current implementation has undesired effects for some. Unless the dev team takes any action, there is nothing that can be done, except spreading awareness on the topic. No matter the opinion. IMO just let it rest for a while.
Last edited by Impatient on Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Theikkru »

I'm fine with alternatives existing. What I'm not fine with is people grossly misrepresenting my proposal as being equivalent to one of those alternatives when it is not. This is supposed to be a thread about the proposal to fix the inconsistency, so of course I'm going to correct people when they say it's something it isn't. Do I have to change the title again?

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

Puh, you might get old, if your goal is to correct the interpretation and reply of every random participant, who does not care to argue on the point. But not all behaved like that. Other replies were well on the point.

But, at least you moved on to throw satire at each other. For bystanders that is the more entertaining way to criticise. :lol:
Last edited by Impatient on Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

Actually, yes. Loose the "and a noob trap". About 60% of this thread is about that, not about your suggestion.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Impatient wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:57 pm
satire
We're well past that now.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Proposal to fix: the pulse function on inserters (+belts?) is inconsistent under low power.

Post by Deadlock989 »

Dear Hasbro Gaming,

I recently purchased an edition of your tabletop entertainment product "Operation". I was given to understand by a colleague, my mother, that it purported to effectively simulate the trials and tribulations of a young surgeon embarking upon a course of interventions in order to assist a particularly unfortunate patient.

When it came to removing an item called a "bread basket", I was at first intrigued, but quickly realised that this was not an accurate portrayal of human anatomy. No such organ exists to my knowledge. However removing the item with the electrified tweezer provided was relatively enjoyable.

However, disaster struck when I attempted to remove the item you have termed a "wish bone". This item is shaped in a way that leads one to believe that the best way to remove it is to grasp it at the central point of axial symmetry and then vigorously lift it upwards. However, doing so caused me to make contact with the metal edge of the compartment, resulting in a most displeasing sound and an aggressively-hued light, which appeared to have been fitted nasally.

Obviously the immediate form of redress is for you redesign the "wish bone" so that this won't happen. Perhaps make it a simple rectangular shape with a hook on the top in order to facilitate the ease of lifting. Otherwise I fear that many more young persons interested in surgery will fall into the same trap I did.

Yours faithfully,

A Concerned Gamer

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Proposal to fix: the pulse function on inserters (+belts?) is inconsistent under low power.

Post by Koub »

[Koub] This thread has outlived its usefulness. There are two camps firmly anchored each on their side, and nothing will convince anyone from one camp to change his/her mind. Topic locked.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”