Auto rotate when placing over a ghost to match the ghost's rotation

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Sh0keR
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Auto rotate when placing over a ghost to match the ghost's rotation

Post by Sh0keR »

TL;DR
QoL: When placing over a ghost (inserter/belt as an example) auto-rotate the placed item to match the ghost rotation.

What ?
Simple QoL feature, if you place an entity over a ghost, for example, an inserter, it would change its rotation to match the ghost's rotation.
Saving the player from the hustle of frequently switching rotation in complex builds and mistakenly placing it in the wrong rotation.
Why ?
Often I find it annoying when building repetitive patterns, especially in the early game and sometimes even in the mid-late game.
One of the most common early builds is this:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (194.98 KiB) Viewed 3301 times
You have to place inserters on one side then rotate it and place it on the other, this inconvenience is almost forcing you to build this horizontally instead of vertically causing you to backtrack.
The issue is much more noticeable when building more complex things like this:
Screenshot (4).jpg
Screenshot (4).jpg (302.09 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
Inserter and belts are placed in different rotation, constantly forcing you to change rotation.
In addition, this is very error-prone, especially with belts which are harder to notice visually.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Auto rotate when placing over a ghost to match the ghost's rotation

Post by boskid »

No. It would be quite huge buff allowing easier blueprint placement without construction bots. Ghosts are for construction robots for placement and any help for player here would make them less useful.

Sh0keR
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sh0keR »

boskid wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:12 pm
No. It would be quite huge buff allowing easier blueprint placement without construction bots. Ghosts are for construction robots for placement and any help for player here would make them less useful.
I see.. the idea was to help a bit with the early game. But I don't agree ghosts are just for robots. I usually like to build a stackable design and then copy & paste as many as I need, in the early game, it's just a bit inconvenient.
But I could totally see it as a way to "nerf" bots.

Thanks for the quick replay.
I might make a mod for this just to test the concept and see if it really feels this way.

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

boskid wrote:
Robot less useful? IMHO it would be "robot start" mods less useful.

This suggestion keep for player the need to place each entity and not prevent him to place on wrong place.
I would like it in game.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

To make rotating easier, you can bind it to control scroll wheel.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

boskid wrote:
I was sincerely hoping there would be something one day to ease the tedium of automating blue science, now that construction robots have been pushed back to blue science. I found that late green science for construction robotics was the perfect sweet spot, as the step from green to blue science implies the first significant scaling step up in infrastructure.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Ajedi32
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ajedi32 »

FYI, if you use the pipette tool (bound to Q by default I think) to select a part, the selected part matches the rotation automatically.

Not sure I agree with this suggestion, but there is _some_ precedent in that placed machines already do automatically inherit the configuration of the placed ghosts. Why not rotation as well?

Others do make a good point though; you're not really meant to be manually building ghosts in the first place; that's what construction bots are for. Making that process easier seems a bit unbalanced.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

@Sh0keR: FYI There are several mods which fill in blueprints automatically if you hover the mouse over them and have the respective items in your inventory.

Also if you want to get up to speed, to do some advanced experimenting in your base and not be bothered by the early handicaps, you just give yourself the full treat with MK2, fusion reactor and personal roboports right from the start.

This goes to the console then (disables achievements):

Code: Select all

/c 
game.player.insert{name="power-armor-mk2", count = 1}
game.player.insert{name="fusion-reactor-equipment", count = 2}
game.player.insert{name="battery-mk2-equipment", count = 5}
game.player.insert{name="personal-roboport-mk2-equipment", count = 8}
game.player.insert{name="construction-robot", count = 200}
game.player.insert{name="exoskeleton-equipment", count = 3}
game.player.insert{name="night-vision-equipment", count = 1}

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

Ajedi32 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:01 am
Others do make a good point though; you're not really meant to be manually building ghosts in the first place; that's what construction bots are for. Making that process easier seems a bit unbalanced.
The best way to plan what where should be built is to use ghosts. And who would be meant to build that? Myself ofc.
Impatient wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:55 am
This goes to the console then
Exactly wrong way.
boskid wrote:
It would be quite huge buff allowing easier blueprint placement without construction bots.
Add separate research to allow it. It is so less than construction bots.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Sh0keR wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:18 pm
I might make a mod for this just to test the concept and see if it really feels this way.
or just use GhostPlacerExpress mod.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moving this to "Won't implement".
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”