Train stop question

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
xplycyt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Train stop question

Post by xplycyt »

I noticed that if you have two rails next to each other with one route having a train station, all trains without this stop will always try to go around even if the second route is blocked and the station route open. Is there a way to change this?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Train stop question

Post by valneq »

As general background, the rules by which trains choose their path:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Railway/Train_path_finding

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

I don’t know if this helps, but you can add a station to a trains schedule without any conditions and it will act as a waypoint.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

I’ve had trains go around. Its usually preferred.

I’ve also had trains go through if it was the only path. In fact, that was why I made the bypass, was so that trains had a route to go if they were not going to the station but were instead using it as a turn around.

I do not make a habit of blocking the bypass lane though. So I don’t know why you would want to block the bypass.

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

Put a train stop on both tracks if you want to prevent that behavior. The extra train stop doesn't need to be configured or added to any train schedule, it just needs to be there.

xplycyt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xplycyt »

This is what is happening. Bypass was created so trains go around if there is one at the stop. Blue train does not have that station but has a clear path, chooses to wait for path with incoming train anyway.
Attachments
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (2).png (15.27 MiB) Viewed 3131 times

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

As said above. Trains try to avoid stops that are not on there shedule.

You can add a station to the bypass to even that out but I would recommend to build your station on an additional bypass lane.

Edit: BTW. The double normal signals in your bypass allows a train to enter your bypass from the right side even if a train is already in there.
I would remove them.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Quoting from the wiki page valneq linked up above (https://wiki.factorio.com/Railway/Train_path_finding).
When the path includes a train stop that is not the destination -> Add a penalty of 2000.
That 2000 penalty will be larger than the penalty for the westbound train.

As a general rule, if someone links a wiki page, it is because they think that reading it will answer your question.

Other randoms thoughts. Why build a station on a through line? Why build a bypass by making the other direction 2 way? Why regular signals in the middle of the bypass? (That looks like it might cause deadlocks). The exit to the bypass isn't deadlock proof. You should make sure that the exit block is longer than your longest train.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

xplycyt wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:14 am
This is what is happening. Bypass was created so trains go around if there is one at the stop. Blue train does not have that station but has a clear path, chooses to wait for path with incoming train anyway.
This is always going to happen. It's by design. The principles involved are probably something like this:
  • When a train stops at a station, the delay will be much longer than if it's just moving through a section of track.
  • When a train can't get to a station because another train is blocking the track, it's likely to cause a rippling delay among all trains; trains should be able to get to their stations if at all possible.
Whatever the reasons are, a train will nearly always try to route around a station rather than through it if possible. A good way to deal with this is to make your stations spurs off the main line rather than putting them on the main line.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

Move the standard signal (the one just at the rear of the top locomotive) on the upper rail back by one spot, and put a chain signal in it's place. This way it has to be able to reserve the entire bypass before it ever moves to a position where it can't reevaluate it's path and chose the top route.

xplycyt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xplycyt »

Zanthra wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:21 am
Move the standard signal (the one just at the rear of the top locomotive) on the upper rail back by one spot, and put a chain signal in it's place. This way it has to be able to reserve the entire bypass before it ever moves to a position where it can't reevaluate it's path and chose the op route.
Thank you, simple answer. I feel stupid. thanks all for the replies.

Return to “Gameplay Help”